By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Investors Meeting - 8:00 PM EST (15 mins left)

Nintendo DS on Wii U virtual console? http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/140130/02.html

Around the Network

To another question that was a bit too long to recap here, Mr. Iwata says he’s never considered quitting. “My conviction and passion have not been shaken,” he says, though adding he took the pay cut because he did feel he does need to take responsibility.

I have to disagree that the main problem for the Wii U is the gamepad. The main problem is that the casuals that they appealed to with the Wii, and were trying to appeal to with the Wii U, are mostly gone. The majority of gamers left are core gamers. And since they already have a PS3 and/or 360, this gen they are looking for an actual leap forward in terms of power. Not a console that is around the same as their old console.

The only thing I can think that would really boost the Wii U is to drop the price by A LOT. Like to $200. I think this would make it cheap enough for some to purchase it as a secondary console, as it does have some appealing exclusives. Of course, this isn't going to make sales explode by any means, because of the reason above. And it appears it is off the table as far as Iwata goes.

thismeintiel said:
I have to disagree that the main problem for the Wii U is the gamepad. The main problem is that the casuals that they appealed to with the Wii, and were trying to appeal to with the Wii U, are mostly gone. The majority of gamers left are hardcore. And since they already have a PS3 and/or 360, this gen they are looking for an actual leap forward in terms of power. Not a console that is around the same as their old console.

The only thing I can think that would really boost the Wii U is to drop the price by A LOT. Like to $200. I think this would make it cheap enough for some to purchase it as a secondary console, as it does have some appealing exclusives. Of course, this isn't going to make sales explode by any means, because of the reason above. And it appears it is off the table as far as Iwata goes.

There still there if you look at the wii casual sales. There just not given a reason to upgrade by nintendo. The whole myth that casuals moved on is based on nothing but nintendo poor choices.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/140130/img/23.jpg

This image confirms that a new home console and handheld are in the works.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Around the Network
magoghm said:
Answering another analyst’s question on how the company plans to return to profitability, Mr. Iwata says the DS will be the main driver for profit for the next fiscal year and the firm will focus on more efficient marketing. Expectations also high for two popular games lined up: Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros.

(I guess Iwata said 3DS, and WSJ reported it a DS)

I hope that he means more efficient marketing for Wii U...

1doesnotsimply

Addressing criticism of the lack of software titles available for the Wii U, Nintendo’s top game creator Mr. Miyamoto says there was a big technological leap from Wii to Wii U. “Not that we’re trying to give excuses,” he said. He says there’s been an internal improvement in conditions for creating new titles.

magoghm said:
Answering another analyst’s question on how the company plans to return to profitability, Mr. Iwata says the DS will be the main driver for profit for the next fiscal year and the firm will focus on more efficient marketing. Expectations also high for two popular games lined up: Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros.

(I guess Iwata said 3DS, and WSJ reported it a DS)

Fixed.

Hoping for a bunch of good games for the 3DS next year, cause this year is gonna suck it seems. 

benji232 said:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/140130/img/23.jpg

This image confirms that a new home console and handheld are in the works.

The image is showing that Nintendo Network ID is coming to the 3DS and that your user will own the software and not the hardware.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Does DS VC also mean 3DS? I would like to play 3DS games on my Wii U.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.