By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do Americans prefer Microsoft over Sony ??

Xbox Live was just completely superior to PSN for over half of last gen. Easily why. We also had sweet stuff like 1vs100 social games.

Around the Network
Viltgance said:

Sony has been closing the gap over the recent years but North Americans seem to still prefer xbox one/360 over the competition.  Even after the terrible unveiling and the PR fiasco it's still neck and neck in North America.   I kinda scratch my head at this cause the rest of the world seems to still hold their grudge with Microsoft according to sales numbers.  Why is this?

Because some americans have very short memories and they're kinda dumb. Haha.

MS showed it's true colors to gamers a year ago and yet, some gamers still buy into their crap. I believe they'll try that again in a few years after alot of people have bought their console or next gen. They may try to push download only because it's the same as the whole no used games deal.

My dislike of MS started when the original xbox was released and I found out that you had to have a $30 attachment for xbox just so it could play dvd's. WTF. Really? Greedy little bastards. They'll keep pushing and pushing to see what you're willing to pay extra for when no one else charges for it and you just might thank 'em for it. 

Microsoft, may you one day fall into ruin like blockbuster did for their greed. 

Halo, Gears ,Titan Fall and soon to be Minecraft sequel are huge games in USA. Sony's biggest ip GT isn't even that huge in the USA. Microsoft doesn't need to make a lot of exclusives no matter what anyone says, they just need 4-5 huge exclusive franchises and they will sell a lot of xbox units. Being a cheap console also helps out a lot.

Microsoft is popular in America because Microsoft is an American company. But it's not patriotism.

Simply put, since Microsoft is American, they're more in tune with the American culture and our demands. Sony is Japanese, so the console has that bias towards the Japanese culture. It's up to SCEA to convert that Japanese console into something that Americans would want. It's not an optimal conversion.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens

They always say it isnt, but its because its an american brand and Microsoft knows how to push their buttons.

Around the Network

Microsoft = American.
Sony = Japanese.

Patriotism is the answer.

Follow me on Instagram : YAFEAXX

360 being much cheaper than ps3, having much smoother multiplats than ps3 and it can play Halo + GTA = huge install base. People tend to buy what their friends have so the first console to win the masses continues to grow exponentially on word of mouth. That and xbox branded doritos/mountain dew lmao. PS4 will likely change this trend ala the PS2 even though Xbox One may win a couple of months here and there in the US.

Dafuq? People are still living in the past about the terrible PR crap on the X1 reveal? That's over with. MS heard us loud and clear, the lack of sales they were getting pretty much sent them the message and put them in their place. Now it all comes down to the games, and so far X1 looks more impressive imo.

Marketing, cool factor, focus. That is, MS knows how to market there, they used to have the cool factor (but they kind of lost it), and MS focuses heavily on North America whereas Sony doesn't have such a heavy focus on a single region. On an interesting side note however, Sony does have a decent size focus on developing territories such as South America, and no other console company does that.

gooch_destroyer said:
BHR-3 said:
halo
forza
gears
l4d
dead rising
alan wake
quantum break
maxpayne (originally xbox exclusive)

while the others focus on jrpgs and games catered to teenagers

also MS is an american company

Are you implying that those games you listed are for Adults?

My thoughts exactly. Who, precisely, is the intended audience of games like "Gears of War" or "Dead Rising"? Let's not pretend that the "Mature" label means the product is being aimed at those who fit that description. "GTA" might be fun, but mature it certainly is not. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7