By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Did MS just win the North American console market?

to be fair they need to win NA since it's the only place Microsoft seems to not have given up on at this point

Around the Network
michael_stutzer said:
It will definitely change the minds of people who purchased a PS4 to play Gears of War. They will go back to Xbone I assume.

Last of Us is good argument for Sony. They have their own third person shooters. Its their FPS arsenal that is severely lacking.

spurgeonryan said:
Is Gears still that big anymore that one game franchise can win it for Microsoft?

Gears is still big but when the last Gears title came out everyone knew it was a secondary game and the gen was winding down. By the time Gears 4 comes out everyone will be ready for it. Same thing with God of War. It was just bad timing for both games. 

Blood_Tears said:

With the MS announcement today of buying the Gears of War IP from Epic, did they just seal with deal in NA this gen? 

With a line up of Titanfall, Halo, Fable set to return and now a new Gears, I don’t think Sony can compete with this line up in North America. Sure, Sony will take Europe and Japan but NA is the largest market and they need to keep up in market share.

Uncharted is only one game and doesn’t sell the numbers Gears does on day 1. What else do you think Sony can do to combat this move by MS today?  

With all the positive reinforcement and gloating Sony fans have done over the last 6 or 7 months, all MS has to do is stick out their wallet and crush any hopes Sony fans have to reclaim the NA market.

Whether you like Gears of War or not, you can’t argue that it doesn’t sell consoles. This gen your going to see more CoD limited edition consoles, same with Gears and Halo and the US market will eat it up. Even though it’s only early, I don’t think Sony has a chance in the US anymore.

Thoughts? 

Nah lol. The last Gears sold like 1m copies and the story simply finished with part3 (that's why Judgement sucked donkey balls), they already ruined Fable and I doubt either will get as popular as they were once. Somehow MS moves mountains just to hold on to old franchises, but Sony is a lot better at building new IP's. So far it's been quiet but Sony doesn't need hype right now when the ps4's are selling like hotcakes. But my bet is that we will see a lot more new IP's from Sony like The Order 1886.  

The idea that Gears of War just won an entire market for Microsoft requires a few big assumptions. First, it assumes that the future titles will be any good and that the North American market still views the franchise as being significant enough to warrant huge sales. Second, it assumes that the next game will be coming soon enough to make a noticeable impact by itself. Third, it assumes that Sony will not have built a software lineup that can match the addition of Gears of War to what the Xbox One will have. Finally, it assumes that the PlayStation 4 will not have created for itself a considerable lead by the time Microsoft brings the franchise onto the field. We only just passed the 2 month mark of this little competition. Not very wise to assume that the current numbers reflect how things will look a year from now.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
0 chance of that happening. PS brand + lower price point = PS4 winning in every country in the world except Brazil.

Only if you are counting the ones bought from Sony official stock... if we take grey market, direct imports or retail stores that impory by themselves we can't be so sure.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Gears of war wasnt exclusive? Why would gears suddenly make a big differance now its ms only? Did anyone buy a ps3 to play gears? Didnt think so

I think we need to get January's numbers before we decide that the One has a chance of winning US/NA. Even if it does, the ratio is probably going to be no more than ~1.2:1. A far cry from last gen.

Gears is a shell of its former self so I'd say no. It'll be a great compliment to the overall library of games if they can make it decent again.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

DonFerrari said:
Lawlight said:
0 chance of that happening. PS brand + lower price point = PS4 winning in every country in the world except Brazil.

Only if you are counting the ones bought from Sony official stock... if we take grey market, direct imports or retail stores that impory by themselves we can't be so sure.

Very true.