By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Did MS just win the North American console market?

kowenicki said:
Mike_L said:
kowenicki said:

funny comparison.

Ascension and judgement dont really count now... lets not be silly.

Each main gears sold approx 6m retail, each main god of war sold between 4 and 4.5m retail.

thats significant.

Just pointing out that the US reception of the latest installments don't help your "significantly bigger". You think the next Gears will sell a lot more than Judgment and I think Gears peaked with its 2nd installment. :)

50% more at retail is significantly bigger.

The 3 gears games versus the best god of war games.  US only.

Gears 3 and 2 are alost identical by the way.  Probs more digital for 3 too.

Normal, there is much more X360 than PS3 in NA and the franchise was very hyped. Now, not so much... 

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Mike_L said:
kowenicki said:
Ucell said:
Blood_Tears said:
You guys have some solid points and my thoughts are that it’s all about momentum and I think it’s starting to sway a little bit back to MS. There not making nearly as many PR mistakes anymore with really only Spencer talking. (And let’s face it Spencer is doing a hell of a job for PR and interviews)

PS4 does have a hefty price advantage but one price drop from MS will change that landscape, plus Sony can’t really afford to drop price anytime soon. Spencer did compliment Sony of being unique/creative and supporting those ways and that’s what I think they need to do.

The US market has rejected Resistance and Killzone. So shooter wise they have nothing to compete with. I’m really hoping GG’s new IP is something special like an open world WRPG style.

Sony’s first party studios other then Uncharted are not going to pull in US gamers Imo anyways. God of War is on its way out and I’m tired of them releasing collection package after collection package. Sony Santa Monica needs something new. I know they’re helping with the Order but we don’t even know what game looks like yet. It’s going to get gritty soon I think in the next year or two.

No its not. In that case even Gears is on its way out due to Judgment.

Gears is a significantly bigger franchise in the US (and elsewhere) than God of War.  (about 50% bigger in sales terms)

Not bigger in the US based on the latest installments.. Ascension: 0.96 mill vs. Judgment: 0.83 mill.

And the franchise in general (the original trilogy) is definitely not "significantly bigger" anywhere in the world.

God of War 1+2+3: 9.98 (US) + 5.65 (EU) + 0.83 (JP) + 3.06 (rest of the world) = 19.52 mill (including digital)

Gears of War 1+2+3: 11.5 (US) + 5.26 (EU) + 0.2 (JP) + 1.7 (rest of the world) = 18.66 mill (not including digital)

funny comparison.

Each main gears sold approx 6m retail, each main god of war sold between 4 and 4.5m retail.

thats significant.

I found the confirmed sales numbers (including digital) for both the God of War and Gears of War franchise. You still won't reconsider your "significantly bigger"?

God of War 1-3 (as of June 17th 2012): 16.5 mill (including Collection but a 5-month older number)

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/06/17/god-war-series-worldwide-sales-show-god-war-iii-at-the-top/

Gears of War 1-3 (as of November 7th 2012): 19 mill

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gears-of-war-series-sales-hit-19-million/1100-6399640/

BenVTrigger said:
Because Gears of War? No. Though having big exclusives does help.

MS may win NA but it wont be due to one game. And they may not even win NA.

This I don't think old IP's are really going to be the games that make or break a system in terms of sales it will likely more be the likes of new IP

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

S.T.A.G.E. said:
FatedReality said:
Gears of war is not as big of a game as it used to be, in fact Gears of war judgement basically bombed. Microsoft is not winning NA just because they have Gears.

That wasnt made by Epic, that was a side project made by People Can Fly. There was no buzz for it either. Gears is still big. God of War sold like crap because it was rushed and it came out at the end of the gen. They both were in the same boat. Not enough marketing.

I remeber seeing commercials for both games so its not like both of these games got no marketing, I also remember both having a lot of buzz for there prorder bonus( If you preordered Gears you would get gears 3 for free and if you preordered God of war there was an extended last of us gameplay trial.) Both games got there fair share of marketing so marketing wasnt the problem, the problem is the lack of quality of both games and franchise fatigue. Anyone who played the series knows Gears and God of war ended at 3 and moved on.

Survivor Millennial vs Gen X!!

No, it will take more than an ageing Gears franchise to win NA. Reeks of desperation to me, but let's wait and see.

Proud owner of Ps4/3ds xl/pc/vita/wii u and others.

Gamer till I die

Around the Network

It'll win the US but the lead wont be as big as what we saw from the 360 over the PS3.

But is it all worth it? Can Xbobx be profitable for Microsoft if they sell only 50 or 60 million units?
Or do they have so much cash that they don't care, and the money they lose is a drop of water compared to Windows and Office profits?

kowenicki said:

funny comparison.

thats significant.

Why dont they count? Shows gears is on the downward spiral more, both were prequels and not as well received yet God of war sold more. Also, 360 had a huge lead in install base not so now. God of war 3 is now at 6 million. Gears is not that much bigger then god of war.  It's bigger? Sure, but gears is not the same franchise now, it was huge early on as it was the first game that really looked next gen when it launched. Will it have the same pull now?? no.

Good move MS, although After the last instalment of Gears, not sure if its worth it...

I'd still buy it, maybe if I get an xbox down the road.

On topic, xbox will probably break even or slightly better in the US, which would be considered a loss anyway due to the domination they had with the 360.

RIP ps3, xbox360.

welcome home ps4 and X1

0 chance of that happening. PS brand + lower price point = PS4 winning in every country in the world except Brazil.