By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Spindoctor Aaron Greenberg: "Reporting Can Get Confusing, But We Did Sell 3.9"

DonFerrari said:
Scoobes said:
Seriously, this is lame. When MS, Sony or Nintendo release reports for shareholders they're going to talk about the consoles they've sold to retailers. Why is that difficult for some people to understand?

The 3.9 Million figure is totally valid in this context.

Except they were talking to fans on twitter this time and not being direct.

3.9M is always valid as long as it's clear. Is that hard to ubderstand?

Read my previous comment. He says "... we sold... " which is true, they did sell 3.9 million to retailers. To MS, that's what counts as sales.

It should be obvious what he meant and I find it surprising people are debating this point on a sales website.

Around the Network
ioi said:
FlamingWeazel said:

LOL So true, you have executives from a  billion dollar corp posting on GAf and flat out lying and posting nonsense on twitter. Why does MS find honesty so hard? They just make themselves look desperate and bad.

I actually meant the exact opposite of how you took my statement.

Microsoft has done exactly what they and Sony always do with financials which is to list their sales into retail (i.e "shipped"). This is no different to normal and yet now they are trying to spin and inflate numbers?

To be honest, both fanboy camps are being pretty stupid in their various ways but like I say it is good for hits so I'm not gonna complain!

Disagree, I am talking about his twitter conversation trying to convince the less educated that it was actually sold to consumers not shipped, and their PR to gfamespot, not their financials..................... It was clear greenberg was being dis-ingenious.

ioi said:
FlamingWeazel said:
Scoobes said:
Seriously, this is lame. When MS, Sony or Nintendo release reports for shareholders they're going to talk about the consoles they've sold to retailers. Why is that difficult for some people to understand?

Sigh read the htread... He was trying to say they sold 3.9 mill when someones asked if it was shipped or sold, he clearly was trying to convince that person they actually sold all 3.9 which is simply false.

No he wasn't!!

Listen I've had a few run-ins with Greenberg myself but he is clearly making the point that in financial speak "sold" is the number they sold to retailers which it is and has always been. He isn't trying to say that 3.9m have been sold to consumers - they already announced their sell-through estimate at 3m.

You guys are just twisting and making a massive deal of nothing!

Disagree, his twitter made it clear he was trying to put the spin on people, even when pressed.

Good Lord some of you will reach great heights to find something to bitch about regarding MS LOL.

Scoobes said:
FlamingWeazel said:
Scoobes said:

Sigh read the htread... He was trying to say they sold 3.9 mill when someones asked if it was shipped or sold, he clearly was trying to convince that person they actually sold all 3.9 which is simply false.

Except he was obviously talking in the financial sense. I don't get why on a sales website people don't see that.

LMAO what he was talking in Financial sense? Please it is clear he was trying to spin it to people on twitter.. and not just sales talk he was even pressed on the matter................

Around the Network

If I could pick a thread that epitomizes VGChartz this would be a strong contender.

I am wondering about Microsoft's roll out into various regions now that it appears they have taken care of their tier one markets pretty well at this stage.

ioi said:
FlamingWeazel said:

Disagree, his twitter made it clear he was trying to put the spin on people, even when pressed.

You're the only one trying to spin things!

This is the 3rd or 4th thread I've seen in the last few days actually where you are making yourself pretty clear! It's a good job that I don't actually frequent these forums that much anymore or there would be a lot of bans being handed out

?? It was clear he was talking to non technical people, when asked if it actually was shipped or sold he never tried to explain the difference, it was clear he tried to pass it off as we sold all of that to consumer. If he was being honest he w=ould have elaborated on shipped to retail.A gree to disagree. He knew his audience.

This thread isnt just about that his theatre analogy was simply pure spin.

Scoobes said:
DonFerrari said:
Scoobes said:

Except they were talking to fans on twitter this time and not being direct.

3.9M is always valid as long as it's clear. Is that hard to ubderstand?

Read my previous comment. He says "... we sold... " which is true, they did sell 3.9 million to retailers. To MS, that's what counts as sales.

It should be obvious what he meant and I find it surprising people are debating this point on a sales website.

Yet we debatte sold and shipped all the time...

And as I said if he want to say sold to retailers just be clear... and when questioned say "sold to retailers"... he was spinning and that was obvious even if idiotic.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

J_Allard said:
Good Lord some of you will reach great heights to find something to bitch about regarding MS LOL.

It's really not hard to find something to bitch about when it comes to Microsoft. There's a new controversy every week. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

J_Allard said:

That's all Ms doing, everytime they open there mouth something stupid seems to come out the last year lol. Sony has the most powerfull machine and they are barely even talking about it.