By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If you were President of Nintendo, what would you do?

Egann said:
spemanig said:
Majora's Mask was a success because it was accessable. It brought themes normally only prevelent to mature media to kids. 99% of people who played Majora's Mask played and understood it as children. The game respected gamers of all ages, like the best Zelda games do. It told you that you may be in a scary world, but it trusted you to save it. As a child, you were asked to be brave and to care for other's problems and to make responsable decisions. The game had subtlety. It didn't have to show you horrible acts of violence to let you know things weren't right. Just a face on the moon, and real people reacting genuinly to their inevitable demise. You thought Mikau's death was gorey or disturbing!? The guy got up, sang a song with his fish guitar, and vanished in light particles. Come on, dude.

There is nothing in Majora's Mask that merit's an M or T rating. So what if the game was creepy. So was the Nightmare Before Christmas. Arms fall off in that film, but it's still a kids film. A guys face is mutilated with your very hands in Bioshock: Infinite. You regularly blow people's faces off in The Last of Us. The most desturbing things in Majora's Mask are Link's mask trainsformation because he screams in agony for a second. It's not very violent. It's not gorey. There's no language. Majora's Mask today wouldn't get a T rating. E10 is already pushing it.

So again, you clearly don't understand why these games are so good. Thankfully, Aonuma does. A Link Between Worlds is proof. That being said, every 3D Zelda game with an E rating is better than the ones with a T rating. Every 3D Zelda with child Link is better than ones with only "teen" Link. I seriously hope that Zelda Wii U is Rated E again with a younger Link. Stop trying to please hardcore crybabies.

EDIT: Here are some quote's from a brilliant article called Majora's Mask - Nintendo's Fluke

(http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2009/03/27/majoras-mask-nintendos-fluke/)

"This is what bothers me about the more recent Zelda titles. Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass were fantastic games. The gameplay mechanics were as solid as they could possibly be. But they were unsatisfying, and I think the reason for that is that they were “safe” games. Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask, and Wind Waker were amazing, ambitious games that, despite sharing common gameplay mechanics, were all radically different experiences. Every Zelda game to come since then (with the slight exception of Minish Cap) has felt like a retreat to, and retread of, familiar ground."

"If this next part sounds pretentious, forgive me and bear with me a little longer. Cool? The themes of Majora’s Mask are completely reflected by its art style. On one level, Termina is similar in many ways to the more familiar Hyrule of Ocarina of Time, save for this niggling little difference. Just as Majora’s Mask is a thematically darker game than Ocarina of Time, Termina is a slightly twisted and diseased version of Hyrule. The clearest example of this is in the character and monster designs. Majora’s Mask leans a little more towards the grotesque. When Link puts on a mask, the transformation is not exactly smooth. He almost appears to be in pain as he is twisted and bent into his new shape. The game is filled with these little artistic marks, these indications that something is wrong with the world. Even the innocent townspeople smile in this way that makes them seem a little more suspicious.

The darker themes are reinforced by the color palette. Typically, a game with darker themes makes them quite literal by setting the game in a “dark” world. Even the Zelda series did this inTwilight Princess. Majora’s Mask is a little different, and therefore a little more effective. Majora’s Mask uses a darker color palette, but it doesn’t do this by turning down the brightness. Instead, it heavily focuses on harsher colors like purple, red, and green. Many areas and characters in Majora’s Mask are just as “bright” as those in Ocarina or Time, but the difference is that through their colors, they are made more alien: familiar, but a little different. Again, everything seems just a little more twisted and, by extension, a little darker."

"This actually happened back in 2000, albeit on a bit of a technicality, as Majora’s Mask was rated “E for Everyone” in the United States. But that makes this all the more poignant. Why is it that this E-rated game is more mature than the bulk of games rated Mature? It isn’t because of boobies or blood, nor is it because Link decided to take up superfluous, forced swearing as a hobby. It’s because Majora’s Mask is a game that evokes an incredibly guttural emotional reaction from the player. I don’t mean glamorized emotions like love or anger, either – the centerpieces of what would be a real “mature” title. Majora’s Mask instead evokes far more primal emotions – those of fear, anxiety, and hopelessness."

Personal opinion: Majora's Mask was rated E because it was the sequel to Ocarina. When actually looking at the content of Twilight Princess in comparison, you see the same clean content and LESS dark and disturbing material receive a higher ESRB rating. The ESRB was inconsistent because they expected Majora's Mask to be an E game and Twilight Princess to be a T game based on it's art style.

It's called confirmation bias.

Also, comparing the T Zeldas to the E ones is a bit unfair. All of the major installments except Twilight Princess are E, and like I said, Twilight Princess doesn't really differ from an E Zelda in any meaningful way. Either the ESRB made a mistake with Majora's Mask or they've become more strict over the years.

The thing that I'm trying to say, though, is that Majora's Mask is, by design, an emotionally punishing game. The game tries to get under your skin by forcing you to play the tutorial section as Deku Link and the like. In my mind a remake which is faithful to the spirit of the game will look for other ways to play head-games with the player, like showing character death or by showing Link's failures to the players. There were good reasons they didn't do this with the original; their target audience were children, and shocking deaths wouldn't have been too appropriate. The N64 didn't have enough memory to show players their failures in flashback. Neither of those are true anymore.

Personal opinion doesn't matter. ESRB, Cero, and PEGI don't work that way. You don't get to be whatever rating the previous game was, just because you're a sequel. They judge a game's content by a game by game basis. You know how much money they could lose by giving a game a to forgiving rating? They are thorough with every game they rate, because that's the way they keep their jobs. Do you even know the procedure? You know they actually have to play the game to give it a rating!? Confirmation bias? Confirmation bias my ass. Twilight is a much more grusome game than Majora's Mask. You maime enemies in wolf form and it introduced finishing moves where you're jamming a sword through an enemies chest to finish them off. ESRB didn't make a mistake.

My bad on the E vs T thing. I thought they rated Skyward sword Teen for some reason.

Majora's Mask is emotionally punishing. That has nothing to do with it's tangable content, though. It's emotionally punishing because of the way it sets mood, tells story, uses color, uses music, and most of all, uses subtlety. That's something betrayed once you add things like blood and gore. There's no reason in any Zelda game for gore to exist. You don't need blood and gore to tell you that everyone in termina is infinitely dying in a never ending loop. There is no reason to have "shocking deaths" in a Zelda game. Zelda already handles death perfectly. That's not a hardware limitation, that's artistic integrity. Their target audience is and will always be children. That hasn't changed, and that won't change. Just because a game is appropriate for children, doesn't mean it's not a mature game, and just because a game is rated t or m, doesn't mean that it's not immature. Zelda is at its best when it's being modest. The game you're describing is not modest and it isn't Zelda. Thankfully, A Link Between Worlds proves that Zelda agrees with me.

Around the Network
TheLastStarFighter said:
SlayerRondo said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
SlayerRondo said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=176458&page=1

From that thread:

In terms of their business, Nintendo is primarily a hardware maker.  Yes, they spend a lot of resources making games, and they are the biggest software maker in the industry.  But they are also the biggest hardware maker, and it is where most of their income comes from.  If we use the Wii as an example, we will get the following chart:

Hardware Total Profit per unit Total
100.95 $49 $4,946,550,000
Total Software Royalty per unit Total
913.5 $7 $6,394,500,000
Total income from hardware business: $11,341,050,000
Nintendo Software Publisher share Total
312.84 $27 $8,446,680,000

Note that their are a few assumptions made, first of all that the profit per Wii was/is $49.  It was reported that Nintendo was making $13 in Japan, $49 in the US and $79 in Europe per Wii soon after launch. That may not be totally accurate, but it's a good estimate.  Secondly, prices on both software and hardware get reduced over time... but the relative dollars should be at least somewhat consistant, and costs go down too.

But as you can see, in that chart 57% of Nintendo's business is the hardware side.  The company themselves say it's about 65%.  Further, the royalty revenue from software costs Nintendo virtually NOTHING, unlike the actual development of first party software.  About 30% of their revenue simply comes from existing in the hardware sector.

Nintendo will never become a software-only company if they can avoid it.  They will only do so if their hardware begins to mount massive year over year losses.  Since the 80's they have been build on royalties as a business and will continue to be.  Even if Wii U is a complete failure they will try again, simply because the royalty revenue business is too lucrative.  And this is even before considering factors such as their own software getting a boost by being the "flagship" titles for the system, and other 1st party advantages.

You clearly don't understand where Nintendo makes their revenue.

I understand where they make their revenue.

I just believe that with the WiiU and the next generation of Nintendo consoles likely failing The sooner Nintendo gets on the third party bandwagon the better off they will be in the long run.

And that's stupid.  That's like saying if BMW has a couple bad years selling cars they should close their car buisiness and stick to motorcycles.  Nintendo is primarily a hardware provider.  If they have a poor couple of years, they should correct problems, not close a buisiness which has provided billions and billions in profits.

To come back from the WiiU they are going to need another Wii like success and I don't see that being possible for them. Their current success was leveraged from past successes and with the rise of multi purpose media devices they need to get on the third party bandwagon now.

Also the problems they have are based mostly around the hardware they have and the image surrounding it. They would need to launch new consoles to properly fix this. And by the time the next generation comes around for Nintendo they are going to find themselves with an even smaller audience then they had when the gamecube was at an all time low.

It would be foolish to get on the third party band wagon when they could just make a multi-purpose device themselves.  That's the point your missing.  Even now, at a low point, Nintendo sells almost 50% of all game hardware sold on any given week.  For any executive to recommend closing the company is outright stupid, and that is essentially what you are suggesting.  Your comments are simply based in some fan-dedication to another corporation.

Firstly accusing someone of being biased is not an argument but your attempt to discredit others arguments. I love Nintendo and if they could make good consoles (compatively) then I would support them remaining as they are.

And I do get the point that currently Nintendo sells enough consoles (mostly 3DS) to justify this current model. But the point you are missing is that I believe that Nintendo consoles will only become less and less popular until Nintendo has to go third party as which point they will be in a terrible position.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

"Wii U, you are the weakest link. Goodbye!"

My 8th gen collection

First they need to showcase the WiiU, they weren't there for the last E3 I hope they will be there this time around. Also more and better advertisement, I feel like no one knows about this console because it got amazing games and definitely worth it. They should lower the price to 250 as well if it doesn't mean making too much of a loss.

AZWification said:

Like I said before  I would go to Gabe Newell's house and give him two slutty Asians so that Half-Life 3 becomes a Wii U exclusive. Nothing wrong with that I  swear.

Gaben strikes me more of a norweigian blonde kinda guy.

Around the Network
lucidium said:
AZWification said:

Like I said before  I would go to Gabe Newell's house and give him two slutty Asians so that Half-Life 3 becomes a Wii U exclusive. Nothing wrong with that I  swear.

Maybe. I would give him all the bitches he wants. That's how business is done.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:
lucidium said:
AZWification said:

I have just emailed him to ask his preference between the two. (no, not kidding)

lucidium said:
AZWification said:
lucidium said:
AZWification said:

I have just emailed him to ask his preference between the two. (no, not kidding)

Who knows. Maybe he will reply  back to you if you are lucky!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:

Who knows. Maybe he will reply  back to you if you are lucky!

my god i hope he does, it's such a hot button issue!

If I was the HNIC over at Nintendo I would be taking the company straight into third party development for home consoles.

I'd be very happy with the way we have a hold on the handheld market but with little to any reason for our handheld audience to run out and buy one of our home consoles due to a lack of integration between the two and the fact that 3 out of the last four console cycles we have finished behind one or more of the other industry leaders and that we are having a hard time securing third party licensing I'd have to nix the console aspect of our business.

I would watch our company's stock rise as we shift costs towards focused game development and away from console manufacturing which would be much more cost effective at this point. In just a few years time after releasing brand new versions of some of our most popular franchises on the two industry leading console developers and in the PC gaming space Nintendo would rival EA and Activision as one of the largest game development companies in the world. All while retaining top dog status (and profitability) in the dedicated gaming handheld market as well.

It's win/win. Nintendo's shareholders are happy and gamers are happy.