By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If you were President of Nintendo, what would you do?

TheLegendaryWolf said:

Current President of Nintendo Satoru Iwata appoints YOU as the next NCL President, and he will be your Vice President. How would you run things at Nintendo if you were in charge? 

If I was the President of Nintendo I would...

-Amp up the Advertising/Marketing department and that focus more on ALL type of gamers with catchy phrases like Wii made this for U or What are U waiting for?
-Host monthly Nintendo Directs with what to expect on Wii U and 3DS
-Update the Wii U's and 3DS's interface, browser,and MiiVerse
-Update customization of Miis
-Localize popular Japanese games such as Monster Hunter 4 and make a MH4 HD port for the Wii U
-Release at least one retail game a month to avoid droughts
-Invest in Western developers to release dormant games like StarFox, F-Zero, Eternal Darkness, etc
-Have conferences and try to bring back support from willing 3rd Parties
-Make Nintendo Network ID less cumbersome and fix major problems on it
-Invest in some 3rd party exclusives
-Create an revolutionary FPS game on Wii U to hype up the "core gamers" and make all new IPs targeted to many demographics
-End production of the current Wii U Basic and Wii U Deluxe and redesign the Wii U's appearance and add 250GB of memory for $299, a new SKU with 64GB and without the Gamepad for $229
-Make sure all our development studios are occupied making games 
-Focus more on the "U" and less on the "Wii" when advertising on commercials, game boxes, and the console boxes

Is all this too ambitious?

Good thing "Revolutionary" FPS's can be just "Made".  Has anyone considered that sometimes MS, Sony, and Nintendo don't make   X new great game because they arent as simple as a math equation to come up with?

Around the Network
SlayerRondo said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
SlayerRondo said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=176458&page=1

From that thread:

In terms of their business, Nintendo is primarily a hardware maker.  Yes, they spend a lot of resources making games, and they are the biggest software maker in the industry.  But they are also the biggest hardware maker, and it is where most of their income comes from.  If we use the Wii as an example, we will get the following chart:

Hardware Total Profit per unit Total
100.95 $49 $4,946,550,000
Total Software Royalty per unit Total
913.5 $7 $6,394,500,000
Total income from hardware business: $11,341,050,000
Nintendo Software Publisher share Total
312.84 $27 $8,446,680,000

Note that their are a few assumptions made, first of all that the profit per Wii was/is $49.  It was reported that Nintendo was making $13 in Japan, $49 in the US and $79 in Europe per Wii soon after launch. That may not be totally accurate, but it's a good estimate.  Secondly, prices on both software and hardware get reduced over time... but the relative dollars should be at least somewhat consistant, and costs go down too.

But as you can see, in that chart 57% of Nintendo's business is the hardware side.  The company themselves say it's about 65%.  Further, the royalty revenue from software costs Nintendo virtually NOTHING, unlike the actual development of first party software.  About 30% of their revenue simply comes from existing in the hardware sector.

Nintendo will never become a software-only company if they can avoid it.  They will only do so if their hardware begins to mount massive year over year losses.  Since the 80's they have been build on royalties as a business and will continue to be.  Even if Wii U is a complete failure they will try again, simply because the royalty revenue business is too lucrative.  And this is even before considering factors such as their own software getting a boost by being the "flagship" titles for the system, and other 1st party advantages.

You clearly don't understand where Nintendo makes their revenue.

I understand where they make their revenue.

I just believe that with the WiiU and the next generation of Nintendo consoles likely failing The sooner Nintendo gets on the third party bandwagon the better off they will be in the long run.

And that's stupid.  That's like saying if BMW has a couple bad years selling cars they should close their car buisiness and stick to motorcycles.  Nintendo is primarily a hardware provider.  If they have a poor couple of years, they should correct problems, not close a buisiness which has provided billions and billions in profits.

To come back from the WiiU they are going to need another Wii like success and I don't see that being possible for them. Their current success was leveraged from past successes and with the rise of multi purpose media devices they need to get on the third party bandwagon now.

Also the problems they have are based mostly around the hardware they have and the image surrounding it. They would need to launch new consoles to properly fix this. And by the time the next generation comes around for Nintendo they are going to find themselves with an even smaller audience then they had when the gamecube was at an all time low.

It would be foolish to get on the third party band wagon when they could just make a multi-purpose device themselves.  That's the point your missing.  Even now, at a low point, Nintendo sells almost 50% of all game hardware sold on any given week.  For any executive to recommend closing the company is outright stupid, and that is essentially what you are suggesting.  Your comments are simply based in some fan-dedication to another corporation.

AZWification said:

Like I said before  I would go to Gabe Newell's house and give him two slutty Asians so that Half-Life 3 becomes a Wii U exclusive. Nothing wrong with that I  swear.

I think that would work about as well as Gabe offering Iwata a couple slutty Americans for Mario to appear on Steam.

Build up the online network so games like nintendo land, super mario bros, and mario 3d world can be played online with miiverse friends. There's basically no excuse.

Release game cube games

detach the gamepad from the wii u, thus making it optional. (if that is possible)

make mini games for android and apple os

make controller for andoid and apple os which allows access to virtual console.

Nintendo President should first and foremost understand that if the Nintendo home console hardware cannot take ports of 8th gen games, then it automatically becomes 2nd or 3rd console for the few core gamers that would be up for having multiple consoles.

Majority of games that appeal to that "core" gamer market come from 3rd party and are multi-platform. Many of these are already absent from Wii U, and as support for PS3/X360 ports gets less, the Wii U will have even less chance of getting the ports of 8th gen developed games.

That will leave just Wii U exclusives, and without a sizeable install base the 3rd parties wont bother with anything other than cheap games, and Nintendo alone cannot make enough and certainly not servicing a wide taste of gamers.

Around the Network
cusman said:
Nintendo President should first and foremost understand that if the Nintendo home console hardware cannot take ports of 8th gen games, then it automatically becomes 2nd or 3rd console for the few core gamers that would be up for having multiple consoles.

Majority of games that appeal to that "core" gamer market come from 3rd party and are multi-platform. Many of these are already absent from Wii U, and as support for PS3/X360 ports gets less, the Wii U will have even less chance of getting the ports of 8th gen developed games.

That will leave just Wii U exclusives, and without a sizeable install base the 3rd parties wont bother with anything other than cheap games, and Nintendo alone cannot make enough and certainly not servicing a wide taste of gamers.

Nintendo really seems to have missed a grand opportunity to capture the core and casual market with its 8th gen system.  If they had made and marketed their system similar to the others, their supperior 1st party content could have been the deciding factor.  As it stands, they could be battling with XBOne for leftovers.

Egann said:
spemanig said:
Egann said:
spemanig said:
Egann said:

The real problem is that Nintendo (as always) overvalued their IP. Mario just doesn't sell home consoles, anymore, but the damage is basically done.

The Wii U definitely needs some marketing presence. It is practically invisible compared to the PS4 and XBox One. ADVERTISE.

Also, I would double down on Zelda U and X. These are literally the games which can save your console. They need to be awesome and they need to be out.

A Majora's Mask remake would also be a good idea, although personally I would go the Oracles of Ages/ Seasons route and make it clear this is a parallel game, not a remake. There is, after all, precedence in the Zelda series for parallel adventures. From there...go nuts. This is THE M rated Zelda game people will talk about for the rest of time. No sex or cursing, but there will be gore, death, and a host of disturbing images.

Disturbing like there are some VERY hard sidequests, and if you fail you see Cremia, Romani, Kafei, or other NPC die a horrible death or live with a haunting curse for the rest of the cycle.

Oh, and difficulty increases randomly after you return to the beginning a few times, you see a montage of your own failures as you save while Majora laughs at you, and if you want to not see a grave or a sad ending at the credits, you have to complete the whole Bomber's Notebook in ONE CYCLE before confronting the final boss.

You clearly don't understand why people like Zelda.

No. I understand why people like Majora's Mask. 

If you honestly think "THE M rated Zelda game people will talk about for the rest of time. No sex or cursing, but there will be gore, death, and a host of disturbing images." is why people like Majora's Mask, then you very clearly do not.

Majora's Mask was a success because it had atmosphere. The original had plenty of disturbing images in it's own right--tell me seeing Romani get abducted by aliens or showing up two days later LOBOTOMIZED isn't disturbing!--and Miaku's death had as much gore to it as the Ocarina engine could support without making him look like a monster.

What I'm saying is that a straight-up remake with todays graphics would probably wind up with a T rating already.

The thing is...Majora's Mask really didn't do too good a job using the atmosphere it was building. It makes perfect sense for an RPG punishing you for failing a sidequest by killing an NPC, but it doesn't make that much sense in Zelda. There just aren't enough sidequests for failure to be a reasonable option, so difficulty goes out the window. Majora's Mask is the exception specifically because you can go back and try again as many times as you want.

In Majora's Mask it makes perfect sense to see a montage of your failures when you save to drive home that Link is failing, it makes perfect sense to make enemies tougher after several saves because the player should have learned their patterns, and it makes perfect sense that if you don't complete every major NPC's sidequest before fighting the boss, they still meet their unpleasant end in the credits.  None of that would ever make sense for a "normal" Zelda game, and when you put that all together, the game you've got fits the M rating better than T.

Majora's Mask was a success because it was accessable. It brought themes normally only prevelent to mature media to kids. 99% of people who played Majora's Mask played and understood it as children. The game respected gamers of all ages, like the best Zelda games do. It told you that you may be in a scary world, but it trusted you to save it. As a child, you were asked to be brave and to care for other's problems and to make responsable decisions. The game had subtlety. It didn't have to show you horrible acts of violence to let you know things weren't right. Just a face on the moon, and real people reacting genuinly to their inevitable demise. You thought Mikau's death was gorey or disturbing!? The guy got up, sang a song with his fish guitar, and vanished in light particles. Come on, dude.

There is nothing in Majora's Mask that merit's an M or T rating. So what if the game was creepy. So was the Nightmare Before Christmas. Arms fall off in that film, but it's still a kids film. A guys face is mutilated with your very hands in Bioshock: Infinite. You regularly blow people's faces off in The Last of Us. The most desturbing things in Majora's Mask are Link's mask trainsformation because he screams in agony for a second. It's not very violent. It's not gorey. There's no language. Majora's Mask today wouldn't get a T rating. E10 is already pushing it.

So again, you clearly don't understand why these games are so good. Thankfully, Aonuma does. A Link Between Worlds is proof. That being said, every 3D Zelda game with an E rating is better than the ones with a T rating. Every 3D Zelda with child Link is better than ones with only "teen" Link. I seriously hope that Zelda Wii U is Rated E again with a younger Link. Stop trying to please hardcore crybabies.

EDIT: Here are some quote's from a brilliant article called Majora's Mask - Nintendo's Fluke

(http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2009/03/27/majoras-mask-nintendos-fluke/)

"This is what bothers me about the more recent Zelda titles. Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass were fantastic games. The gameplay mechanics were as solid as they could possibly be. But they were unsatisfying, and I think the reason for that is that they were “safe” games. Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask, and Wind Waker were amazing, ambitious games that, despite sharing common gameplay mechanics, were all radically different experiences. Every Zelda game to come since then (with the slight exception of Minish Cap) has felt like a retreat to, and retread of, familiar ground."

"If this next part sounds pretentious, forgive me and bear with me a little longer. Cool? The themes of Majora’s Mask are completely reflected by its art style. On one level, Termina is similar in many ways to the more familiar Hyrule of Ocarina of Time, save for this niggling little difference. Just as Majora’s Mask is a thematically darker game than Ocarina of Time, Termina is a slightly twisted and diseased version of Hyrule. The clearest example of this is in the character and monster designs. Majora’s Mask leans a little more towards the grotesque. When Link puts on a mask, the transformation is not exactly smooth. He almost appears to be in pain as he is twisted and bent into his new shape. The game is filled with these little artistic marks, these indications that something is wrong with the world. Even the innocent townspeople smile in this way that makes them seem a little more suspicious.

The darker themes are reinforced by the color palette. Typically, a game with darker themes makes them quite literal by setting the game in a “dark” world. Even the Zelda series did this inTwilight Princess. Majora’s Mask is a little different, and therefore a little more effective. Majora’s Mask uses a darker color palette, but it doesn’t do this by turning down the brightness. Instead, it heavily focuses on harsher colors like purple, red, and green. Many areas and characters in Majora’s Mask are just as “bright” as those in Ocarina or Time, but the difference is that through their colors, they are made more alien: familiar, but a little different. Again, everything seems just a little more twisted and, by extension, a little darker."

"This actually happened back in 2000, albeit on a bit of a technicality, as Majora’s Mask was rated “E for Everyone” in the United States. But that makes this all the more poignant. Why is it that this E-rated game is more mature than the bulk of games rated Mature? It isn’t because of boobies or blood, nor is it because Link decided to take up superfluous, forced swearing as a hobby. It’s because Majora’s Mask is a game that evokes an incredibly guttural emotional reaction from the player. I don’t mean glamorized emotions like love or anger, either – the centerpieces of what would be a real “mature” title. Majora’s Mask instead evokes far more primal emotions – those of fear, anxiety, and hopelessness."

TheLastStarFighter said:
cusman said:

Nintendo really seems to have missed a grand opportunity to capture the core and casual market with its 8th gen system.  If they had made and marketed their system similar to the others, their supperior 1st party content could have been the deciding factor.  As it stands, they could be battling with XBOne for leftovers.

If they had basically just released a more traditional "Super Wii" or "New NES" with a Wiimote + Pro Controller shell (cheap) and a fairly nice 800 GFLOP machine with 4GB of RAM.

They should have also spent a few bucks (since they made so much with the Wii) to hire a decent Western studio to make a big time new IP for them within the console's first 6-7 months on the market. If they had done that I firmly believe they'd be sitting relatively pretty right now at 12-15 million user install base. 

Be very wary of banking an entire console on a controller gimmick. Yes it worked with the Wii, but I can go to Vegas and hit a giant jackpot my first day there too, doesn't make that a sound long term financial strategy. And whatever you do NEVER bank on an expensive hardware gimmick.

I'd immediately commission a brand new star fox game, work on a merger with disney or sell the company to them

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

The price tag for Nintendo probably is too steep for Disney, Nintendo's cash holdings and equivalents (that could be turned into cash within a year) are almost $12 billion ... meaning the entire company would probably require at least $18 billion to purchase when factoring in the value of their IP and the fact that you generally have to overpay a bit to get a deal like this done. Probably closer to $20 billion actually.

Buying Marvel + Lucasfilm combined only cost Disney about $8 billion.

To be honest in hindsight, Nintendo maybe should've bought out Marvel years ago, that would've been a great investment I think.