By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If you were President of Nintendo, what would you do?

Hookers and blow. Hookers and blow.

Around the Network

hire somebody else because I don't know anything about business.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Egann said:
freedquaker said:
The handheld business is good enough, at least for now, so leave it alone. If they start entering the "smartphone or tablet" space, they will need to decrease their game price drastically. This, combined with the high rate of piracy on Android will lead to a huge perceptive devaluation of their games value.

What they should do with mobile, is to revive the old first party titles (Gameboy, NES, SNES, N64 etc) and release them for the mobile for a relatively small premium price like $4.99 or $9.99. Meanwhile they should continue their primary mobile market with 3DS and DS, where they are the king of the hill.

On the other hand, on the home gaming system, they are no longer relevant, so it's much more future-proof to be a software publisher. They have been going downhill ever since the entry of Sony first, and even more with Microsoft, and they have little chance to compete against them. Their best bet would be

- Either cooperate with Sony, on the next playstation and release all new Nintendo games exclusively for the new PS platform. It's also a good strategy to release former Nintendo titles with revamped graphics etc on the platform. I am sure Sony can agree upon some privileged conditions with Nintendo.

- Or Just go multi-platform, releasing their franchises on all feasible platforms, the Sega way.

I'm not sure any of those are great ideas. The 3DS is doing phenomenally compared to the rest of the market, and doing anything on mobile might undercut it. Releasing Nintendo games on Playstation or multiplatform may sound great to a consumer, but a) it would anger everyone who bought a Wii U, and b) it would seriously hamper their ability to make their own games because Nintendo has always developed for their own hardware.

A little bit of misunderstanding here...  I was referring to Nintendo being software developer AFTER THE WIIU GENERATION. Basically for NOW, they shouldn't do anything explicit with the current Consoles but only develop a mobile strategy on the way I described above. 3DS and handhelds are still a great business, but SOME OF THIS CROWD is transferred to the mobile gaming. In order to recoupate this lost crowd, they need to dive into the mobile business, otherwise they will suffer an ever diminishing market (not dying, just getting smaller).

We still need Nintendo. I hate to admit but they are the true innovators. Let me count some of the Nintendo contributions...

2D Platform Games (Mario etc)

3D Platform Games (Mario 64 etc)

Kart - platform Games (Mario Kart etc)

Popularity of Japanese RPG

Rumble Pack

Motion Controls

etc etc etc

So they should exist, not only as a software company but also hardware. The best option would be to cooperate with Sony under special terms next generation.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Captain_Tom said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:

Current President of Nintendo Satoru Iwata appoints YOU as the next NCL President, and he will be your Vice President. How would you run things at Nintendo if you were in charge? 

If I was the President of Nintendo I would...

-Amp up the Advertising/Marketing department and that focus more on ALL type of gamers with catchy phrases like Wii made this for U or What are U waiting for?
-Host monthly Nintendo Directs with what to expect on Wii U and 3DS
-Update the Wii U's and 3DS's interface, browser,and MiiVerse
-Update customization of Miis
-Localize popular Japanese games such as Monster Hunter 4 and make a MH4 HD port for the Wii U
-Release at least one retail game a month to avoid droughts
-Invest in Western developers to release dormant games like StarFox, F-Zero, Eternal Darkness, etc
-Have conferences and try to bring back support from willing 3rd Parties
-Make Nintendo Network ID less cumbersome and fix major problems on it
-Invest in some 3rd party exclusives
-Create an revolutionary FPS game on Wii U to hype up the "core gamers" and make all new IPs targeted to many demographics
-End production of the current Wii U Basic and Wii U Deluxe and redesign the Wii U's appearance and add 250GB of memory for $299, a new SKU with 64GB and without the Gamepad for $229
-Make sure all our development studios are occupied making games 
-Focus more on the "U" and less on the "Wii" when advertising on commercials, game boxes, and the console boxes

Is all this too ambitious?

Good thing "Revolutionary" FPS's can be just "Made".  Has anyone considered that sometimes MS, Sony, and Nintendo don't make   X new great game because they arent as simple as a math equation to come up with?

A "revolutionary FPS" can be created, you just need ambition and the guts to open up the spectrum on how an FPS game can be portrayed. Some people portray FPS gamers as dudebros CoD players, so the revolutionary game would change the view of the genre.

spemanig said:
Majora's Mask was a success because it was accessable. It brought themes normally only prevelent to mature media to kids. 99% of people who played Majora's Mask played and understood it as children. The game respected gamers of all ages, like the best Zelda games do. It told you that you may be in a scary world, but it trusted you to save it. As a child, you were asked to be brave and to care for other's problems and to make responsable decisions. The game had subtlety. It didn't have to show you horrible acts of violence to let you know things weren't right. Just a face on the moon, and real people reacting genuinly to their inevitable demise. You thought Mikau's death was gorey or disturbing!? The guy got up, sang a song with his fish guitar, and vanished in light particles. Come on, dude.

There is nothing in Majora's Mask that merit's an M or T rating. So what if the game was creepy. So was the Nightmare Before Christmas. Arms fall off in that film, but it's still a kids film. A guys face is mutilated with your very hands in Bioshock: Infinite. You regularly blow people's faces off in The Last of Us. The most desturbing things in Majora's Mask are Link's mask trainsformation because he screams in agony for a second. It's not very violent. It's not gorey. There's no language. Majora's Mask today wouldn't get a T rating. E10 is already pushing it.

So again, you clearly don't understand why these games are so good. Thankfully, Aonuma does. A Link Between Worlds is proof. That being said, every 3D Zelda game with an E rating is better than the ones with a T rating. Every 3D Zelda with child Link is better than ones with only "teen" Link. I seriously hope that Zelda Wii U is Rated E again with a younger Link. Stop trying to please hardcore crybabies.

EDIT: Here are some quote's from a brilliant article called Majora's Mask - Nintendo's Fluke

(http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2009/03/27/majoras-mask-nintendos-fluke/)

"This is what bothers me about the more recent Zelda titles. Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass were fantastic games. The gameplay mechanics were as solid as they could possibly be. But they were unsatisfying, and I think the reason for that is that they were “safe” games. Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask, and Wind Waker were amazing, ambitious games that, despite sharing common gameplay mechanics, were all radically different experiences. Every Zelda game to come since then (with the slight exception of Minish Cap) has felt like a retreat to, and retread of, familiar ground."

"If this next part sounds pretentious, forgive me and bear with me a little longer. Cool? The themes of Majora’s Mask are completely reflected by its art style. On one level, Termina is similar in many ways to the more familiar Hyrule of Ocarina of Time, save for this niggling little difference. Just as Majora’s Mask is a thematically darker game than Ocarina of Time, Termina is a slightly twisted and diseased version of Hyrule. The clearest example of this is in the character and monster designs. Majora’s Mask leans a little more towards the grotesque. When Link puts on a mask, the transformation is not exactly smooth. He almost appears to be in pain as he is twisted and bent into his new shape. The game is filled with these little artistic marks, these indications that something is wrong with the world. Even the innocent townspeople smile in this way that makes them seem a little more suspicious.

The darker themes are reinforced by the color palette. Typically, a game with darker themes makes them quite literal by setting the game in a “dark” world. Even the Zelda series did this inTwilight Princess. Majora’s Mask is a little different, and therefore a little more effective. Majora’s Mask uses a darker color palette, but it doesn’t do this by turning down the brightness. Instead, it heavily focuses on harsher colors like purple, red, and green. Many areas and characters in Majora’s Mask are just as “bright” as those in Ocarina or Time, but the difference is that through their colors, they are made more alien: familiar, but a little different. Again, everything seems just a little more twisted and, by extension, a little darker."

"This actually happened back in 2000, albeit on a bit of a technicality, as Majora’s Mask was rated “E for Everyone” in the United States. But that makes this all the more poignant. Why is it that this E-rated game is more mature than the bulk of games rated Mature? It isn’t because of boobies or blood, nor is it because Link decided to take up superfluous, forced swearing as a hobby. It’s because Majora’s Mask is a game that evokes an incredibly guttural emotional reaction from the player. I don’t mean glamorized emotions like love or anger, either – the centerpieces of what would be a real “mature” title. Majora’s Mask instead evokes far more primal emotions – those of fear, anxiety, and hopelessness."

Personal opinion: Majora's Mask was rated E because it was the sequel to Ocarina. When actually looking at the content of Twilight Princess in comparison, you see the same clean content and LESS dark and disturbing material receive a higher ESRB rating. The ESRB was inconsistent because they expected Majora's Mask to be an E game and Twilight Princess to be a T game based on it's art style.

It's called confirmation bias.

Also, comparing the T Zeldas to the E ones is a bit unfair. All of the major installments except Twilight Princess are E, and like I said, Twilight Princess doesn't really differ from an E Zelda in any meaningful way. Either the ESRB made a mistake with Majora's Mask or they've become more strict over the years.

The thing that I'm trying to say, though, is that Majora's Mask is, by design, an emotionally punishing game. The game tries to get under your skin by forcing you to play the tutorial section as Deku Link and the like. In my mind a remake which is faithful to the spirit of the game will look for other ways to play head-games with the player, like showing character death or by showing Link's failures to the players. There were good reasons they didn't do this with the original; their target audience were children, and shocking deaths wouldn't have been too appropriate. The N64 didn't have enough memory to show players their failures in flashback. Neither of those are true anymore.

Around the Network

I think you could've made a pretty interesting spy FPS with the Wii U controller, maybe a James Bond one or Mission: Impossible (or a new IP), but alas, no vision from Nintendo on that.

Being able to use the controller in different ways and perhaps also use the Wii U Zapper for sniper missions would've been cool.

I get the sense really that Nintendo isn't all that interested in making games based around a controller. They'll make 1 or 2 games like that, but really they just want a machine they can sell Mario/Mario Kart/DKC/Smash/Zelda sequels on ... which is fine, but they should've just made a more straight forward console if that was the case. 

TheLegendaryWolf said:
Captain_Tom said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:

Current President of Nintendo Satoru Iwata appoints YOU as the next NCL President, and he will be your Vice President. How would you run things at Nintendo if you were in charge? 

-Amp up the Advertising/Marketing department and that focus more on ALL type of gamers with catchy phrases like Wii made this for U or What are U waiting for?
-Localize popular Japanese games such as Monster Hunter 4 and make a MH4 HD port for the Wii U
-Invest in Western developers to release dormant games like StarFox, F-Zero, Eternal Darkness, etc
-Create an revolutionary FPS game on Wii U to hype up the "core gamers" and make all new IPs targeted to many demographics
-End production of the current Wii U Basic and Wii U Deluxe and redesign the Wii U's appearance and add 250GB of memory for $299, a new SKU with 64GB and without the Gamepad for $229
-Focus more on the "U" and less on the "Wii" when advertising on commercials, game boxes, and the console boxes

Good thing "Revolutionary" FPS's can be just "Made".  Has anyone considered that sometimes MS, Sony, and Nintendo don't make   X new great game because they arent as simple as a math equation to come up with?

A "revolutionary FPS" can be created, you just need ambition and the guts to open up the spectrum on how an FPS game can be portrayed. Some people portray FPS gamers as dudebros CoD players, so the revolutionary game would change the view of the genre.

You just illustrated my point.  You basically said "It's easy to make a revolutionary by just making one."  The term "Revolutionary" by definition means it isn't some simple thing anyone can make.  There isn't a Naughty Dog store...

People really liked that WIi Mote shit...buhndlarararara it like old times.

Create/Buy more (sufficient) studios, and collaborate more with both locals and overseas studios. Everything else will follow.

Captain_Tom said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Captain_Tom said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:

You just illustrated my point.  You basically said "It's easy to make a revolutionary by just making one."  The term "Revolutionary" by definition means it isn't some simple thing anyone can make.  There isn't a Naughty Dog store...

I never said it was easy to make something revolutionary. Someone needs an ambitious vision to skaken up the way one plays an FPS, not just anyone can accomplish this succesfully. The "revolutionary FPS" wll be over seen by me, President of Nintendo, to ensure it is of the highest quality and enjoyable.

It will include a variation of controls, a story that is compelling, deep, and intersesting, a campaign mode that will be enjoyable with replay value, lots of customization options (weapons, character, gear, etc), an incentive for playing the campaign mode (exclusivle weapons, gear, maps/locations, etc), an optional 3rd person view during campaign/multiplayer that can be switched at the press of the button, an imersive online multiplayer, free monthly DLC maps/modes, and amazing MiiVerse integration.