By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dev: Wii U Comes off Badly When Compared Against PS4/XO, Porting Next-Gen Titles Just Doesn’t Work

Nem said:

The difference is the gap for the human eye is alot smaller this time around, compared to previous gens. That is why you can hardly notice.

Say for example the God of War Kratos model on Ascencion. I already had trouble telling the difference from the GoW3 model to the Ascencion model and the ascencion one use a heck of a lot more polys. You just cant see the difference anymore unless you zoom in on him.

True, but there is a lot of misconception out there that the only way to advance graphics is via poly count. There's a LOT of things going on in 3D engines besides polygons, like lighting, texture mapping, physics, and more.

Around the Network
VitroBahllee said:
Nem said:

The difference is the gap for the human eye is alot smaller this time around, compared to previous gens. That is why you can hardly notice.

Say for example the God of War Kratos model on Ascencion. I already had trouble telling the difference from the GoW3 model to the Ascencion model and the ascencion one use a heck of a lot more polys. You just cant see the difference anymore unless you zoom in on him.

True, but there is a lot of misconception out there that the only way to advance graphics is via poly count. There's a LOT of things going on in 3D engines besides polygons, like lighting, texture mapping, physics, and more.

Yes i agree. That why i said, until i see something impressive enough. Currently i see nothing that couldnt be done on the Wii U and/or current gen consoles. Of course, with a bit less detail on the lighting and particles.

daredevil.shark said:

I heard a rumor that reggie was angry at other executives for making wii u so weak. But he got silenced and iwata became his boss in USA. I guess reggies was right.

Where was this from? This would be big if true.

Trunkin said:
We've kind of already known this for months, haven't we? I'm just glad the the "Wii U is weaker than 360" days are behind us.

Nope, some people still believe that.

generic-user-1 said:
making ports shouldnt be a problem. they did it for years with ps360 and PC.

They really aren't. But the question is whether people would buy said ports.

Around the Network

Honestly, I doubt ps4/xbox one multi platform games could be 'faithfully' ported to the ps3 and xbox 360.

Here's an excerpt from an interview with a dev from Witcher 3:

"How was development on next-gen consoles for you? How much of your vision did you have to sacrifice to gain stable frame rates on the PS4 and Xbox one?

It is extremely manageable. There is a lot of power in these machines, and I don't want to say we're using them to their capacity, but we're fairly close to doing so. We made a decision to go next-gen roughly two and a half years ago, so we've spent a lot of time with these machines, and it's been a great experience across all three platforms. On the old platforms, namely the Xbox 360 and PS3, we probably would have had to sacrifice nearly half of our vision."

If they had to sacrifice roughly 50% of their vision to get Witcher 3 on the xbox 360 and ps3, then it would practically be an entirely different game. Based on the above quote, I don't think next gen games (i.e., ps4 /xbox one) would be able to be ported to current gen platforms, including the wii u.

full interview here: http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/01/23/the-witcher-3-new-details-to-blow-your-mind

FlamingWeazel said:
But, but it's never Nintendos fault it's lazy developers right?

Yes, the same lazy devs that underutilized the power of the Cell.

Serious answer:

The WiiU has double the Ram of the HD Twins, almost no thirdparty game uses this advantage (aside from Most Wanted U´s better textures), they´d rather directly port the PS360 version over.

Yes, that is lazy.

Viper1 said:
Trunkin said:
We've kind of already known this for months, haven't we? I'm just glad the the "Wii U is weaker than 360" days are behind us.

Hey, don't get them started on that again.

I know, I know. :P

pezus said:

"Parts of the hardware run better than the previous generation, but other parts drag it down."

lol, there we go. Overall, it's still clearly it bit ahead of last gen's systems. You can already tell from the games, at this point. (Exclusives, anyway.)

Nintendo Wii U is simply a 2nd or 3rd console for a gaming household that also wants access to Wii U exclusives.

I don't know why people are surprised by this... Nintendo doesn't compete with the others, doesn't want those 3rd party games on their console competing with their first party exclusives.

They think whatever people are willing to have Wii U as the 2nd or 3rd console just for those exclusives is sufficient support. They thought they could attract back the iOS / Android tablet gamers they created initially on Wii and that isn't going to work.

Scizor_99 said:
daredevil.shark said:

I heard a rumor that reggie was angry at other executives for making wii u so weak. But he got silenced and iwata became his boss in USA. I guess reggies was right.

Where was this from? This would be big if true.

I read it at neogaf. But many people laughed at his comment. Without a credible source this is still a rumor.