By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dev: Wii U Comes off Badly When Compared Against PS4/XO, Porting Next-Gen Titles Just Doesn’t Work

generic-user-1 said:
making ports shouldnt be a problem. they did it for years with ps360 and PC.

The difference is that 3rd parties were willing to invest in middleware to solve the problem of porting between PC and the HD consoles. They were never interested in making the same investment for a Nintendo console, and especially not now that Sony and Microsoft consoles are closer to standard PC hardware than ever.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Anonymous Dev Studio.

This should become a real thing.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

daredevil.shark said:

I heard a rumor that reggie was angry at other executives for making wii u so weak. But he got silenced and iwata became his boss in USA. I guess reggies was right.

If true this wouldn't surprise me. Iwata only thinks of Nintendo games when he builds consoles and expect the third-parties to bow to his wisdom.

Nothing wrong with building a system for your games but don't expect other developers to fall in line.

Come to think of it, when I think of the gamepad, I am not even sure who Nintendo make systems for these days. They sure as hell don't make much use of it and all games I have play so far can easily be played without it.

We've kind of already known this for months, haven't we? I'm just glad the the "Wii U is weaker than 360" days are behind us.

Sorry, i dont buy it for a second.

Many of the next-gen titles are still coming on curent gen, and Wii U is more powerful than that.

Yeah, it wouldnt look as good, but its definitly possible. Whoever says otherwise is just not beeing thruthful. Next-gen uses pretty much the same tech as current gen, only allows for bigger pollies wich are almost unoticeable and more particle and lighting effects. Heck... all next-gen titles can be ported to current gen until i see something impressive enough that it cant be.

Around the Network
Trunkin said:
We've kind of already known this for months, haven't we? I'm just glad the the "Wii U is weaker than 360" days are behind us.

Hey, don't get them started on that again.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

I know the wii u is based on a later gpu design, more efficient etc and the feature set is probably close to xbox one and ps4 but in performance terms its scaled right back to 360/ps3 levels and of course the wii u has a powerpc chipset so realistically the wii u was always going to have games jointly developed with ps3 and 360. The idea that the wii u is similar to ps4/xbone is just ridiculous.

If there is a ps3 and 360 version of a game then its probably not to big a conversion project to go to wii u. That is what we have seen so far.

What have we seen so far;

Games that are mainly 2D with low cpu requirements the wii u can do well and more likely to have a resolution advantage over 360 and ps3.

Ambitious games requiring a lot of cpu resources perform badly on wii u. Often with lower frame rates than 360 and ps3 sometimes with a graphic disadvantage too.

Games that don't really need high cpu resources but throw alot of graphic data about can have a small advantage on wii u.

End result overall you have to say for the most popular titles which are often quite ambitious games the 360 is superior with the ps3 fairly close behind and the wii u quite a few steps behind.

Also it has to be said and there is no real way getting around it but the ps3 and 360 joypads are better for those sort of games. Games written from the ground up for gamepad are good but its not the ideal controller for multiformat conversions most of the time.

so you can run any game on PS360 and PS4/X but not on Wii U. Makes sense

Click HERE and be happy 

This shocks precisely no one. Being as Nintendo seem blindsided by how much production costs and development time have risen with their first forays into HD game making, I think if they had made a machine that could compete, processorwise, with the XB1 & PS4, they would have been far worse off - from a software development standpoint. They have stated several times that they are just now coming to grips with developing for the Wii U as is. Since other developers have hinted that current-gen (XB1 & PS4) development costs 8x-10x as much as 360/PS3 development, I think Nintendo would be doing even worse if they had made the leap from Wii level to PS4 level graphics in one generation.

pezus said:
Nem said:

Sorry, i dont buy it for a second.

Many of the next-gen titles are still coming on curent gen, and Wii U is more powerful than that.

Yeah, it wouldnt look as good, but its definitly possible. Whoever says otherwise is just not beeing thruthful. Next-gen uses pretty much the same tech as current gen, only allows for bigger pollies wich are almost unoticeable and more particle and lighting effects. Heck... all next-gen titles can be ported to current gen until i see something impressive enough that it cant be.

What you said is true for every single generation. Heck, why not just port it to PS1 since they only need to reduce the polygon count, decrease effects and resolution etc.

The difference is the gap for the human eye is alot smaller this time around, compared to previous gens. That is why you can hardly notice.

Say for example the God of War Kratos model on Ascencion. I already had trouble telling the difference from the GoW3 model to the Ascencion model and the ascencion one use a heck of a lot more polys. You just cant see the difference anymore unless you zoom in on him.