By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - “There Is Only One Real Last Chance For Wii U And It Is Mario Kart 8,”

“There Is Only One Real Last Chance For Wii U And It Is Mario Kart 8,” According To Retailer

Posted on Thursday, January 23 @ 06:55:30 Eastern by Alex_Osborn

Mario Kart 8
 is set to arrive on Wii U during the first half of 2014, and according to a handful of major retailers, it's the last bastion of hope for Nintendo's struggling console.

Speaking to MCV under the safety of anonymity, one retailer said flat out that "there is only one real last chance for Wii U and it is Mario Kart 8. It could still be the game that sparks interest in Wii U, but it would need to be combined with a more mass market retail price."

One of UK's largest retail outlets echoed a similar sentiment, saying, "A sub-£200 machine will help, and Mario Kart is desperately needed to reach the fans. We also need something revolutionary that makes use of the second screen and has mainstream appeal, which is easier said than done."

And finally, another retail source said bluntly, "£199 and Mario Kart 8. Simple."

Could it really be that simple? It looks like we'll just have to wait and see. For Nintendo's sake, I hope it is.

Source: http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/there-is-only-one-real-last-chance-for-wii-u-and-it-is-mario-kart-8-according-to-retailer-23715

Around the Network

This is only one UK retailers opinion, not all of them.

pezus said:
Nsanity said:

More like 3.

OT: What I've been saying. MK8 alone won't save it, but that combined with a big pricecut might

This might be too late to implement for nintendo.

pezus said:
Nsanity said:

More like 3.

OT: What I've been saying. MK8 alone won't save it, but that combined with a big pricecut might

Yup.

Nah, it will still be given many more 'last chances'

Around the Network

It's hard to say last chance for a console that's been out for a little over a year, but he's bascially right. If Mario Kart can't move consoles, nothing will, and that includes Smash. Remember that Mario Kart Wii sold 34 million units and was the fourth best selling game in history. And unlike Wii Sports, you can't call it a fad. The series has been popular for decades. There's a lot riding on it, to say the least.

MKDD didn't save the (already very cheap) GC, MK8 and a pricecut won't save the Wii U.

In europe it really is. Europe is really a tough market for nintendo. Nintendo really strugle at targeting multiple countries, because they don't work with a nitendo for each country(nintendo eua, nitenndo canada=> nintendo of america). They contract marketing agencies on each country and not have a representaion there. And then we have a region locked console and a club nitenndo that only work on 2~3 countries between more than 17. Its something that they really need to rethink how they work. Anyone living on brasil know what i am talking about.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

Xen said:
MKDD didn't save the (already very cheap) GC, MK8 and a pricecut won't save the Wii U.

Maybe, but I don't think it's a perfect comparison.  Mario Kart Wii pushed the series to new heights and Mario Kart 7 put up some great numbers as well.  The series has gotten bigger since then. 

softcoregamer82 said:
Xen said:

Maybe, but I don't think it's a perfect comparison.  Mario Kart Wii pushed the series to new heights and Mario Kart 7 put up some great numbers as well.  The series has gotten bigger since then. 

Problem is - the Wii U is nor Wii nor 3DS. The console needs stable big numbers like either one of the two to sell in any way similar to MKWii or MK7.

People:

1) Don't want it as much as either, XBO, PS4, and the last-gen consoles aren't helping one bit

2) Don't even know it's a new console.

While the Wii U will surely rise in sales numbers, it will never be quite big, or "saved", provided that saved = even 1/2 of Wii's weekly sales.