By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that people/critics were too harsh on?

Speaking of Sonic, Sonic Adventure 2. The level design is mediocre and completely undermined the openness of the first one, but even if you take the entire main quest as a mildly-fun series of mini games through which you collect things for your Chao, it's worth the money. I've played Sonic Adventure 2: Battle more than most games, I think. Couldn't get enough Chao.

(And the fact that we haven't gotten another Chao game baffles me to this day.)

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Around the Network

Sleeping dogs. Finished it a few weeks ago. Dispite playing GTA V before it I enjoyed it.

JWeinCom said:

I disagree that the gameplay was better.  The idea of having finishers as the only way of KOing people is interesting, but it makes the game inaccessible for newer people.  For fighting veterans, it makes character balance dependent almost entirely on three moves.  Raiden for instance (at least before patches, I haven't played the game in a while) had so many ways to combo into his super that he was ridiculous in 1v1.  Playing as Raiden in PSASBR was like if you could play Marvel vs Capcom 3 Akuma in Street Fighter 4. 

That's probably the largest issuess with gameplay, but there were smaller ones as well.  Building a battle system that runs on long combos is a bit weird in a King of the Hill style game.  The lack of a dash feature is a pretty big ommission that generally limits characters in how they can approach.

PASBR also has the same ridiculous online choices as Smash (no 1v1?  really?) but doesn't have its excessive content.  Smash, Brawl in particular, had just about the most replay for any single player fighting game ever, and PSASBR had the bare minimum in terms of content.  Weak online multiplayer and weak single player is a bad combination.

Not to say it's a bad game.  They did a great job with character diversity, and it's generally fun.  It's an above average fighter that got above average ratings.  Seems about right to me. 

Sorry, I think I should have been more specific, I don't prefer all the gameplay of PSABR, I wouldn't want the finishers as only way to win in SSB or some of the decisions. The gameplay elements of PSABR that I would like to see on SSB are: 

- Faster gameplay: Brawl strikes are generally slow, it feels almost like input lag (it isn't, but is almost as bad).

- Combos: not KoF ones, but at least the possibility of chaining strikes like in PSABR. Probably would be solved by the above.

Both games have balancing problems. In PSABR, the level 1 special for Raiden and Cole is easy to hit, while it's much harder for Drake or Nariko. In SSB Brawl, Samus is too slow and has weak finishing attacks, it's not at the same league than Fox. But a lot of fighting games suffer from this problem (MK, Injustice, Tekken in a lesser degree). KoF is one of the few that does it spot on.

torok said:

Sonic 06 deserves it. It's pure broken crap. I've played Sonic 1, 3, CD, Knucles Kaotix, they are great games. I mean, all-time great games. The series was pure perfection. Sega destroyed it, made it mediocre. They murder Sonic and Altered Beast all the time. Well, at least After Burner, Outrun and Phantasy Star remain great.

More Sonic 06 crappiness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI0WX9me-3w

bananaking21 said:
playstation all stars

People will want to kill me here, but it is actually better than SSB Brawl. SSB 64 was the best ever, but the series simply destroyed their fast gameplay and PS All-Stars nailed that same fast gameplay I wanted on SSB. If SSB fans stopped bashing the game for being a ripoff and just looked at how it did a better gameplay, maybe the next SSB could become great again. Another Brawl style gameplay and I'm done with new SSBs and will just keep playing the 64 version.

Playstation All Stars is a good game if it's just a bunch of casual gamers with friends.  If you're not very good at games, it's a unique experience that is very fun.  If you put any amount of time into it and get on an intermediate or pro level, that's where the  problems lie.  The game has major balancing issues. Half of the roster is useless against the other half when played on a competitive level.  Too many fighters are no win situations against certain fighters, etc.  The balancing issues ruin the game.

kupomogli said:
torok said:

Sonic 06 deserves it. It's pure broken crap. I've played Sonic 1, 3, CD, Knucles Kaotix, they are great games. I mean, all-time great games. The series was pure perfection. Sega destroyed it, made it mediocre. They murder Sonic and Altered Beast all the time. Well, at least After Burner, Outrun and Phantasy Star remain great.

More Sonic 06 crappiness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI0WX9me-3w

bananaking21 said:
playstation all stars

People will want to kill me here, but it is actually better than SSB Brawl. SSB 64 was the best ever, but the series simply destroyed their fast gameplay and PS All-Stars nailed that same fast gameplay I wanted on SSB. If SSB fans stopped bashing the game for being a ripoff and just looked at how it did a better gameplay, maybe the next SSB could become great again. Another Brawl style gameplay and I'm done with new SSBs and will just keep playing the 64 version.

Playstation All Stars is a good game if it's just a bunch of casual gamers with friends.  If you're not very good at games, it's a unique experience that is very fun.  If you put any amount of time into it and get on an intermediate or pro level, that's where the  problems lie.  The game has major balancing issues. Half of the roster is useless against the other half when played on a competitive level.  Too many fighters are no win situations against certain fighters, etc.  The balancing issues ruin the game.

To be fair, people have made Smash Bros tier lists because some are more competitively viable than others - although I'll admit I haven't played PSASBR so I don't know if the problem is worse there.

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network
Somini said:
DmC comes to mind. Most gamers, including me, were very harsh on it. While it actually is not a bad game at all.

I am glad I've just now changed my avatar to agree with this.. ha.

Critics were quite just. Gamers? Not so much.

gooch_destroyer said:
JRPG's in general.

I would add Musou in general as well. Of course I love those two genres so bit of a disclaimer there.

^That reminds me:

Anything Neptunia got unfair critic treatment.

AZWification said:
Pristine20 said:
Wright said:

Final Fantasy XIII. I'm loving it so far.

^This. How people hate this game for "linearity" and love FFX is something I may not understand in my lifetime.

Ironically FFXII was also hated for being MMO-style open when it launched. Talk about a crappy unpleaseable fanbase.

I personally disliked  XII because of the awful battle system. I  disliked FFX because it was linear, but it still  had a better story, battle system, characters and soundtrack than XIII.

I agree on both accounts. 

Final Fantasy 12's problem wasn't its explorable world, the massive amounts of quests that can be taken, the great story, great music, etc.  It was the pos battle system paired with massive amounts of grinding for money that made the game suck.  Elemental magic was practically useless even when you hit the enemy with a weakness because melee damage almost always took off the same or similar amounts.  The best magic spells in the game were spells like slow, blind, and demi which were pretty much required to assure less grinding for gil than would have otherwise been required.  Pretty much setting your entire party on doing melee and then controlling spell casting manually was required because too often allies would cancel out their commands to do do a gambit setting, instead of completing the attack and then doing the action afterwards.

For Final Fantasy 10, I pointed out it was a straight hallway long before Final Fantasy 13 came out.  Battles were too easy where except for boss battles, you had to do very little other than switch characters to one who was strong against one of the random enemy types and then attack, which would one shot them.  Elemental enemy?  Switch to Lulu and cast a spell.  Flying enemy?  Switch to Wakka and attack.  Armored enemy?  Anyone with weapon that has pierce, pretty much making Auron just as useless as Kimahri outside of boss battles. 

Now.  I've played and finished a lot of RPGs.  Well beyond the range of 100, so when the PS2 was current gen, I thought Final Fantasy 10 was bad and while pretty, it was one of the worst console RPGs I've played.  There are RPGs released last gen that make Final Fantasy 10 look good.  That's how bad JRPGs have got. 

KingdomHeartsFan said:
outlawauron said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Tales of Xillia

Hasn't Xillia gotten nearly entirely positive feedback?

I think it deserves higher than 78

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/tales-of-xillia

I agree, but it's not like the game hasn't gotten a majority of positive reviews. Just a few meh to negative ones to bring down the score.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.