By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I Believe PS4/Xbone GAP After Japan Release Will Be Over 3 Million. And You? (Over 500k in US before Titanfall Launch) - Results Out

Tagged games:

PS4/Xbone GAP After Japan Launch?

4.0m 229 30.90%

3.5m 47 6.34%

3.0m 120 16.19%

2.5m 197 26.59%

2.0m 85 11.47%

1.5m 12 1.62%

1.0m 15 2.02%

None 33 4.45%

Total:738

It's funny, each time, i see a lot of people underestimating PS4 and each time, PS4 surprises them.
Most of us believed it couldnt reach 5M before February, back in december, it was insane, unthinkable, but it is hapenning just as planned.

Same thing will happen in Japan, if the majority think it's impossible to reach PS2 level of sales, PS4 will do the impossible, like always.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network

great thread for bookmarking. THanks.
I'm not sure it will get to 3m, but 2.5m sounds about right.

vivster said:
Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:
ManUtdFan said:
ethomaz said:
ninetailschris said:
700,000 to 900,000. At launch? So, it will be the biggest launch ever to even handhelds in Japan? What is based on? Or do you mean something else.

PS2 sold 980k in launch week in Japan

Day 1: 600k
Day 2: 380k

MIcrosoft and Bill Gates were crying about it apparently

Sorry not happening. PS4 has no new features and no new games. Less features than the Ps3 to boot.  Just PSvita audience to feed off.
DVD player cant save the sony

Except that you are completely wrong I guess the PS2 was selling so well because of the multitude of new features and games.

As if anyone who buys a console at launch cares for its features or games...

PS2 sold 25 million in Japan. JAPAN. Off the MATRIX.

PS3? Sold bloody near half that.

ethomaz said:
Some points...

1) Why are people talking about Titanfall? My prediction ends ends weeks before TF release.

2) The biggest release is FFXIV Demo. Everybody in Japan wants to play it on PS4 instead PS3.

3) MMO and F2P demos are different than retail demos because you continue playing after the demo phase... so these demos moves consoles.

They already bought FF14 on PS3. They've been playing on it for a long long time

Aerys said:
It's funny, each time, i see a lot of people underestimating PS4 and each time, PS4 surprises them.
Most of us believed it couldnt reach 5M before February, back in december, it was insane, unthinkable, but it is hapenning just as planned.

Same thing will happen in Japan, if the majority think it's impossible to reach PS2 level of sales, PS4 will do the impossible, like always.

Americans like graphics. PS4 all but stopped sellign completely out the gate, in nearly every other territory it released in besides America and  Europe.

Stagnant in asian markets and the like.

Japan is all very content focused

Around the Network

Those numbers seem insanely high for Japan. If it can push 400-500k first week I'd be very impressed.

Still quite close to the launch period and still the full reality hasn't hit home. There is still meant to be a lot of Xbox one stock sitting on shelves in mainland Europe and Japan's reaction to ps4 is unknown.

My guess is the ps4 will achieve a gap of between 3-4 million with Xbox One fairly soon after the japanese launch but Sony still seem to be struggling to produce enough ps4's and Microsoft may counter with something to enhance their sales level. I do think PS4 will be huge in Japan but as previously stated content drives japanese sales. The thing is though the ps4 is a thing of pride for Japan. It's doing brilliantly well abroad and the Japanese are very patriotic. There is a feel good factor to the ps4 in japan that will enhance sales. I'd guess at launch figures of about 700,000 if stock is available. Clearly if Sony can't provide that stock the figures will be less.

IsawYoshi said:

Xbox 360 sold roughly 10 times the number of inhabitants in your country in Japan. Yes, it's not PS or Nintendo numbers, but it's still much more than they sell in most countries. If they drop Japan, why not drop Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Denmark, most of Africa so on and so forth?

You're not going to tell me that Xbox One, and PS4 for that matter, is going to be sold to 1/5 of the population in my country are you? Maybe they should drop the PS4 over here.

Xbone will not do well at all in Japan. This is because many of the games Japanese gamers want do not appear on Microsoft's console, thus low sales. Xbox 360's consistently low sales over the years have shown the low demand. The Japanese really tend to hate their console, and you will see how much it'll bomb. It might do decently at launch, but will immediately reach all time lows. 

3DS Friend Code: 0533 - 6146 - 0418
PSN ID: atylerman5

3.5 million.

PS4 will race away like Usain Bolt. No catching it up. Titanfall will only "delay" the inevitable.

Sony will pour more units into the States after the Japan launch of the PS4.

Watch... this... space.

GdaTyler said:
IsawYoshi said:

Xbox 360 sold roughly 10 times the number of inhabitants in your country in Japan. Yes, it's not PS or Nintendo numbers, but it's still much more than they sell in most countries. If they drop Japan, why not drop Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Denmark, most of Africa so on and so forth?

You're not going to tell me that Xbox One, and PS4 for that matter, is going to be sold to 1/5 of the population in my country are you? Maybe they should drop the PS4 over here.

Xbone will not do well at all in Japan. This is because many of the games Japanese gamers want do not appear on Microsoft's console, thus low sales. Xbox 360's consistently low sales over the years have shown the low demand. The Japanese really tend to hate their console, and you will see how much it'll bomb. It might do decently at launch, but will immediately reach all time lows. 

The Xbox One will probably still end up selling more in Japan than it does in many other countries.