By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Anyone else have MP shooters ruined for them by Titanfall alpha videos?

Looks better than any CoD, but looks like it just looks like a better CoD.

Doesn't look as good as Unreal Tournament 3, which coincidentally has a Titan mutator so you transform into a larger version with a powered up rocket launch and shock rifle with rechargable ammo. Get enough kills as a titan again, upgrade again to one that has a limited time before it kills itself.

Around the Network
Vashyo said:
The 6vs6 player limit + bots ruined some of my hype for the game

I'm actually very excited about it. I still looking for the 2v2 playlist in COD for instance.
I was so afraid of this game (Titanfall) turning into a Battlefield.

At the same time; I have to say that the AI in the leaked videos are not very smart...
But then, it may be fun to run arround the map, shoot some random targets (grunt AI) and then have some cool 1 on 1 with real players.

6v6 did punch a hole in the hype for me. Still anticipating it though. I know enough people around me will get it so I'll be getting it as well.

But as for the main question. No. I still play other shooters. Halo 4 is still very awesome and chaotic. My cousin and I just get into a warthog with me on the gunner and we do like 25-30 kills a match. It's crazy stupid fun.

Jay520 said: Speaking in terms purely of gameplay, it's pretty much a CoD-like game with titans and big jumps. That's fine if you like that. But I hope you can realize for many people (like the Playstation fans you alluded to earlier), that's good reason to not be excited.

Not sure what you are talking about, Jay520. Call of Duty has consistantly been the best selling game on PS3 and also has the highest attach rate on PS4. One can even make a semi competent hypothesis that Call of Duty was the biggest system seller for PS4. All those playstation fans thought it was reason enough to upgrade from their PS3's, as they would be able to play their favourite franchise in full HD. So, there is plenty to like here for playstation fans given the trends we have seen for their tastes in last gen. 

OT: Game looks epic. The combat just seems so damn intense. I am glad they didn't go with big player count. The part about not able to play any other game after playing this, well that sure is exaggeration. It does fit with the theme of forums though, either things are doom or complete hype. 

gotta overhype I guess, and holyshit that second video 6v4 the guy said it's gotta fill up with bots, as if it makes it even, can you even jump in an on going game?

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network
DialgaMarine said:
J_Allard said:
DialgaMarine said:
Yeah… The game looks decent, but it's not the end all be all of MP shooters. Unless they start adding objective driven game modes similar to Killzone 3's Operations or MAG's Domination, it'll pretty much just end up like every other run of the mill frag fest MP. Just with mechs. Killzone 3 anyone?

The game has objective modes. There are videos in the OP.

I referring to full on Objective driven mission-like modes. Have you ever played KZ3's Operations mode, or MAG's Domination mode? Both those modes pushed a whole new level of MP gaming, especially MAG. Just imagine BF4's rush mode, but on a much larger scale and a diverstiy of objectives that each have a different affect on the outcome of the battle.

Bought both of those games on day one. Was not impressed by either of them, especially MAG. Domination in MAG is no different then the Gold Rush from Bad Company, or Rush as it started being called in Bad Company 2. You destroy one set of objectives, more of the map opens up and you try to hold more. The only difference is the scale. The Operations in KZ3 were ok, but again not much different than Rush. MAG had no diversity of objectives, Operations did. Not sure what you mean by "a different effect on the outcome of the battle". It's just like Gold Rush. You hold them off and the mission is over, or you fail at defending and it opens up another area of the map or the mission is over depending on what stage you are at.

And even in those modes on those games, the gameplay revolves around "frag fest MP". There's nothing either did that really changed the genre of separated them from the rest of the pack, which is probably why neither of them made much of a dent in the industry.

Jay520 said:
J_Allard said:

Well I'd suggest watching a handful of the many videos. When you have a pilot v pilot situation, it takes way more bullets and time to die than in any CoD or recent BF game. And idk what games you're using for comparison with the recoil. A twitch shooter is never going to have the recoil of ARMA or AA or Red Orchestra, etc. There are also many guns in the alpha and like any other game, some offer lower recoil in exchange for less stopping power or a slower fire rate.

Seems like you just don't like twitch shooters.

It's not just the fact that it's a twitch shooter. It's that, plus other factors, that lead to the time-to-kill being very low (although higher than CoD), which means there are no gun battles. 90% of the time kills come simply because you aimed at someone first, which almost always leads to immediate death. 

I actually enjoy twitch shooters. For example, I enjoyed Timesplitters, Unreal Tournament, Halo, etc. (not sure if Halo counts). Even though they were twitch shooters, I had fun because you didn't die so quickly (you actually have a good chance of killing a weaker player who shot at you first), and you don't have to aim down the sites to aim accurately. I have found memories battles in those games that lasted over a few seconds, where you were constantly adjusting your aim to match your opponents maneuvers, while dodging bulltets yourself. Those moments are pretty much nonexistent today, except in Halo.

As for games with good recoil, I would say I loved the recoil of Killzone 2. Hell, I thought recoil in Uncharted 2 was sufficient. So yeah, more recoil could have been done here. It doesn't have to be to the level of ARMA. As it stands now, it's clear to me why many aren't excited for a game where the majority of the gameplay/pace is similar to CoD, with an negligible increase in recoil and the time required to kill.

We can just agree to disagree. You don't enjoy twitch shooters that penalize you for not emphasizing your surroundings, which is fine, and nothing I say will change that. I enjoy all of them.

While the campaign lacked, Killzone SF multiplayer is quite addictive! So to answer the question, No. Titanfall videos have not ruined MP for me although I am intrigued.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

The only multi-player FPS I ever enjoyed was Team Fortress 2, and this looks nothing like that. Feels more like CoD which have zero interest in. So, I am fine.

I watched some footage, showing apparently a good player since he killed other people left and right.
The videos confirmed why I absolutely don't like this genre at all. I saw everything I hate about those games:
a) unlimited ammo. This guy was shooting bullets not even a tank would be able to carry. b) he walked out ouf buiildings, regardless whether he was on second or third floor c) On roofs, he "jumped" probably 30-40ft onto other buildings d) the jumps were "impetus theory" of the middle ages - a straight line through the air followed by a vertical drop at the end and a cheesy hand grab animation e) AI dumb as hell.
I just wonder how this complete nonsense gets anyone excited - sorry if you are a Titanfall fan but what I saw was trash physics, trash reality and trash animation.