By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Anyone else have MP shooters ruined for them by Titanfall alpha videos?

PenguinZ said:
Actually I am not impressed at all... In fact I am almost a bit disappointed, because I expected more from a "Next Gen" shooter. Don't get me wrong, it looks like a lot fun, but it doesn't seem special. I don't see it having the same effect CoD 4 had on shooters. The one thing that holds it back the most is the bots.

I don't understand why some people are so caught up in the bots, even after watching videos. I've even seen some people still complaining that the bots are so dumb and easy to kill. I think it will take a lot of gameplay watching/playing for some people to understand why the bots are there and why they aren't a deterrant or negative aspect of the game. Especially in videos that show the more objective based gameplay like Domination. They funnel the human combat straight to the objectives. Even in games like Battlefield or CoD when you're playing objective modes you still have people running off doing their own thing. Or camping in certain spots trying to pick people off as they go for objectives. This won't happen in this game because of the AI. Not only can they take the objectives themselves, but killing them increases your score and gets you a Titan faster. So CamperMcDouchebag actually has to play closer to the objectives and get into the gunfights more. It's a brilliant way to control the action.

My son and I just played some Awesomenauts on PS3. It is a MOBA game and is only 4v4. The objective is to destroy the enemies turrets and make your way to their home base and destroy that. But the game also floods the level with respawning AI creeps, who do basically no damage to you, are dumb as soup, easy to kill, and give you points when you kill them. They mindlessly run to the turrets trying to destroy them. But since they actually CAN destroy the turrets if left to their own devices, and they give out gold for being killed, human players actually engage them. This is what leads to a majority of the player v player gameplay. Titanfall is no different.

Also, there appears to be varying levels of AI in the game. We have seen grunts, which are just like the creeps I described above. But we have also seen spectres, who appear much stronger and while still easy to kill, can actually take down player pilots. This is also no different than a MOBA, where you can upgrade your creeps or are spawned stronger creeps at different times throughout the game.

It's just one of the areas where Titanfall separates itself from the pack and does something new in the genre. It's going to be amazing.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Yes MP shooters are ruined since this gens first new shooter IP is a CoD clone, only with an air jump and bots. Mechs are just reskinned gunships/attack helos.

Doesn't make the new gen look very promising.

Looks like someone hasn't seen Titanfall, or CoD for that matter :)

I think it's a solid game. GOing to get it for pc.

Augen said:
The only multi-player FPS I ever enjoyed was Team Fortress 2, and this looks nothing like that. Feels more like CoD which have zero interest in. So, I am fine.

where this is from?

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

green_sky said:
Jay520 said: Speaking in terms purely of gameplay, it's pretty much a CoD-like game with titans and big jumps. That's fine if you like that. But I hope you can realize for many people (like the Playstation fans you alluded to earlier), that's good reason to not be excited.

Not sure what you are talking about, Jay520. Call of Duty has consistantly been the best selling game on PS3 and also has the highest attach rate on PS4. One can even make a semi competent hypothesis that Call of Duty was the biggest system seller for PS4. All those playstation fans thought it was reason enough to upgrade from their PS3's, as they would be able to play their favourite franchise in full HD. So, there is plenty to like here for playstation fans given the trends we have seen for their tastes in last gen. 

Perhaps you should consider the context before drawing conclusions. I'll lay it out for you in case you missed it.

1. Imaginedvl stated that the Playstation fans in this thread were unexcited for Titanfall due to console exclusivity, rather than gameplay.
2. This implies that those specific Playstation fans do actually like the gameplay of Titanfall.
3. Imaginedvl said the gameplay was similar to CoD.
4. CoD is generally disliked on the internet; one of the reasons being the gameplay, not console exclusivity (obviously).
5. Therefore, because of 3 & 4, it's possible that those specific Playstation fans genuinely do not like the gameplay of Titanfall.
6. In conclusion, I have shown that Imaginedvl's earlier statement is likely false.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
J_Allard said:
KylieDog said:
Yes MP shooters are ruined since this gens first new shooter IP is a CoD clone, only with an air jump and bots. Mechs are just reskinned gunships/attack helos.

Doesn't make the new gen look very promising.

Looks like someone hasn't seen Titanfall, or CoD for that matter :)

Yeah, clearly you.

Idk, I am not the one calling it a CoD clone when it plays nothing like CoD :)

Jay520 said: Perhaps you should consider the context before drawing conclusions. I'll lay it out for you in case you missed it.

1. Imaginedvl stated that the Playstation fans in this thread were unexcited for Titanfall due to console exclusivity, rather than gameplay.
2. This implies that those specific Playstation fans do actually like the gameplay of Titanfall.
3. Imaginedvl said the gameplay was similar to CoD.
4. CoD is generally disliked on the internet; one of the reasons being the gameplay, not console exclusivity (obviously).
5. Therefore, because of 3 & 4, it's possible that those specific Playstation fans genuinely do not like the gameplay of Titanfall.
6. In conclusion, I have corrected Imaginedvl's earlier misconception.

Thanks for the detailed clarification. Call of Duty is indeed quite disliked by people who spend excessive amount of time on forums. Infact, that applies to quite a lot of big sellers. I mean in recent months, almost 30 million people bought GTA5 but looking around you would see that it fell off the face of forums faster than Wii Sports. Am going on a tangent here, seems like hardcore gamers generally don't like popular stuff. 

Imaginedvl said:

Lol of course, yes.

Funny how a good amount of PlayStation enthusiasts positing in the first page are not excited for an obivous reason and try to make it sounds like it has nothing to do with the fact the game is not coming out on PS4 :)

Yup. No such thing as personal taste. If they are ps fans and say they didn't like it, they're obvi lying. No other possible explanation.

Well, I changed my mind. Titanfall is officially overhyped.

I'm sure it's going to be a good game, but come on, man. Wait til it's actually been released before saying it's ruined all MPs, and not just from vids.

Jay520 said:
Another twitch shooter where guns have minimum recoil and kill within 0.2 seconds? God, I hate those.

I can understand why people are hyped from the game, as it seems very polished and will likely satisfy its intended audience. But I was expecting something a bit more ....different. Other than the mechs and jumping, what makes it stand out from every other shooter? Serious question.

While I'm excited to give Titanfall a fair chance, I'm with you.  I miss the slower pace of older CODs (yes slower, at least when compared to now).  No lightweight / marathon / shotgunning bullshit.  You know, where you actually had to have a fire fight and / or aim vs hip fire spray-n-pray.

That fast paced stuff has its place though, just wish COD would dial it back a bit and resort more on player skill.

-----

What I'm most excited about for Titanfall is that it might raise the bar in terms of dedicated servers, bandwidth, etc. for a console shooter.  If the game itself is good, that's a bonus.