By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Anyone else have MP shooters ruined for them by Titanfall alpha videos?

Imaginedvl said:

Actually, it was more some of them :) You are right for the rest. (I edited my post)
For instance if we looks at eThomaz response, it is basicaly what he is responding in every thread about every Xbox One games; this i my point :) But I generalized and I derserve the beat down!

I think you need to re-read my comments.

I think Titanfall will a hell be fun because it looks like CoD... and I like that.

So what your point? Or just you are one of my fans

Around the Network

Yeah… The game looks decent, but it's not the end all be all of MP shooters. Unless they start adding objective driven game modes similar to Killzone 3's Operations or MAG's Domination, it'll pretty much just end up like every other run of the mill frag fest MP. Just with mechs. Killzone 3 anyone?

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Imaginedvl said:

I will anwser that from my point of view :) (for the rest, I already explained myself in previous post, I deserve the heat .

So, why am I excited about Titanfall, wow.. Good question.

- COD like, I mean, I love Halo and COD, they are both shooters but the gameplay is really different. So either kind of gameplay would be a hit with me.
- Titans, straffing, etc... I'm adding straffing because it feels like a Mechwarrior game.
- Azure powered :) Dedicated servers of course + good amount of AIs. (compared to actual shooters on consoles)
- On console.
- Xbox One exclusive
- Same people who created COD.
- The double jump (jetpack) thing; I believe and the very fast gameplay coming with it...

That's a start :)

Speaking in terms purely of gameplay, it's pretty much a CoD-like game with titans and big jumps. That's fine if you like that. But I hope you can realize for many people (like the Playstation fans you alluded to earlier), that's good reason to not be excited.

J_Allard said:
selnor1983 said:
I watched these the other day. This game is gonna sell to every MP shooter fan. It is so smooth and such a change from the usual COD and BF. I agree, I haven't bought a FPS at all yet. I have 6 games for Xbox One and no shooters.

Titanfall is the one. Sorry Destiny. I might get Destiny in the bargain bin down the line. Titanfall looks a lot more fun imo.

Destiny is funny because back in 2007 I was looking forward very much to Halo 3 since I was a huge Halo SP fan and a fan of Halo 2 MP. Then the CoD4 beta happened and everything changed. Fast forward to this gen, Bungie is set to release another shooter, and once again the Respawn guys (formerly Infinity Ward) have released a beta destroying any hype I had for it.

This explains everything! I understand now!

J_Allard said:
selnor1983 said:
I watched these the other day. This game is gonna sell to every MP shooter fan. It is so smooth and such a change from the usual COD and BF. I agree, I haven't bought a FPS at all yet. I have 6 games for Xbox One and no shooters.

Titanfall is the one. Sorry Destiny. I might get Destiny in the bargain bin down the line. Titanfall looks a lot more fun imo.

Destiny is funny because back in 2007 I was looking forward very much to Halo 3 since I was a huge Halo SP fan and a fan of Halo 2 MP. Then the CoD4 beta happened and everything changed. Fast forward to this gen, Bungie is set to release another shooter, and once again the Respawn guys (formerly Infinity Ward) have released a beta destroying any hype I had for it.

Ive never liked COD though. LOL. Halo plays differently. Its more like UT than COD. It felt like I had to use more skill on Halo. Hence why still today I choose Halo MP over everything else.

Titanfall looks different enough again to attach to me. It genuinely looks like a difference. And not just another COD. Syked about that.

Around the Network

I'll paraphrase what my friend had to say about Titanfall over the weekend.

"I'm really turned off by only 6v6 gameplay. If it was just for a couple maps and/or modes and larger player counts existed I would be fine. They couldn't make bigger maps with larger player counts? They had to create tightly confined maps where it looks like Titans will have very limited areas to fight in?"

"From what I've seen so far the weapon variety is extremely limited. Five primary weapons? That would be okay if they had tons of customization to them but it looks like you can only fit two attachments. Then you have a couple handguns, a couple grenade types, and a couple launchers. Sure that's just for the pilots but I get the sense that a significant amount of time will be spent on foot and it doesn't seem like the Titans have a big variety either."

"So far it looks like the same old objective types we've had in FPS games forever now. Kits (perks) and special abilities? Those have been done before in plenty of FPS games. No reason to act excited about them now. Are we really going to praise something that was added to the genre years ago? People are acting like mechs and jet packs are a new thing as well. It's pretty sad how people can brush those things off as lame or not exciting when they debut and are done several times over the years but then suddenly go apeshit when a game has them and the only reason they're excited is because they simply want to buy into the hype."

"So this is the cloud power Microsoft has been trying to shove up our asses and down our throats? Cannon fodder AI? They're not doing anything complex. They are just moving around the map and then stopping so they can be shot. I call bullshit. Respawn can try to jerk Microsoft off for the rest of us but that doesn't mean I want to watch it happen too. Having our Titans go into Auto-Mode is really no different than having a dog follow you around and attack nearby enemies in Call of Duty or placing auto-turrets down in other FPS games. Microsoft's cloud power wasn't needed then and I doubt it's needed now."

"No campaign is ridiculous. If this was an incredibly robust multiplayer experience that would make it acceptable. The fact that it's a multiplayer-only 6v6 matched based game with little variety makes it unacceptable. I'm really disappointed overall."

"Every time I watch a video and try to get excited, because maybe I just missed something, I'm let down. I get the feeling that it'll be the kind of game that I pick up, play a few rounds of, and then get bored of and move on. There has yet to be a point in these unscripted videos where I thought "that was cool!". The only thing exciting is when the Titan comes screaming down to the surface. Then it's just back to the boredom. I think I'll stick with Battlefield 4 for the most part."

Those were his thoughts. He got much more in depth than that but I thought I'd spare you guys of an even bigger post. Like I said, this is coming from an Xbox fan who was excited about the game until he learned more about it and saw the unscripted alpha videos. He did say that it's alpha and that it may improve but he doubts it will be by any amount that will change his mind with less than two months to go from release. Now he's looking more forward to Destiny and The Division.

So sad no one agrees :(
Lol

Tbh it just looks average with more twitchy visuals. Ill prob stay with Rakion lmao

Jay520 said:
J_Allard said:
Jay520 said:
Another twitch shooter where guns have minimum recoil and kill within 0.2 seconds? God, I hate those.

I can understand why people are hyped from the game, as it seems very polished and will likely satisfy its intended audience. But I was expecting something a bit more ....different. Other than the mechs and jumping, what makes it stand out from every other shooter? Serious question.

So you didn't watch videos? The guns have recoil and you take way more bullets to die than in CoD or BF.

I have found the videos to portray a surprising blend of CoD and Halo. Just in some small aesthetics. The game most certainly has its own charm and style imho.

How dare you insult my integrity! Yes, I watched the damn video!

Sorry, please allow me to calm down after that dishonorable attack on my character. Anyway...

I'm not sure if it takes more bullets to kill than in CoD, but I can see that it takes approximately 0.2 seconds to kill with (what appears to be) any gun shooting anywhere at the body, from any distance. Maybe you have a lower standard for when time-to-kill is too low to be fun, but I would prefer if gun battles were actual gun battles; rather than "whoever aims first gets the kill". So yeah, the time-to-kill is much too low for me, but I'm sure plenty of people will love it.

As for the recoil, again, you must be comparing it to CoD or BF, because the recoil in that game was virtually nonexistent for me. 

In the end though, the shooting plays out just like CoD with jumping (and mechs!). You sprint around the map, the characters move like they're on speed, you see anything that even remotely looks like an enemy, and you aim (and pray to god that you aimed first) getting the kill before you can blink. I miss the old-school shooters where the combination of recoil, low aim-assist, and high time-to-kill meant that killing someone required a relatively prolonged dual with your opponent; that was a "true" battle of skill. Games like this, CoD, and BF just seem like tests of reflexes with no thought required.

Well I'd suggest watching a handful of the many videos. When you have a pilot v pilot situation, it takes way more bullets and time to die than in any CoD or recent BF game. And idk what games you're using for comparison with the recoil. A twitch shooter is never going to have the recoil of ARMA or AA or Red Orchestra, etc. There are also many guns in the alpha and like any other game, some offer lower recoil in exchange for less stopping power or a slower fire rate.

Seems like you just don't like twitch shooters.

DialgaMarine said:
Yeah… The game looks decent, but it's not the end all be all of MP shooters. Unless they start adding objective driven game modes similar to Killzone 3's Operations or MAG's Domination, it'll pretty much just end up like every other run of the mill frag fest MP. Just with mechs. Killzone 3 anyone?

The game has objective modes. There are videos in the OP.

The 6vs6 player limit + bots ruined some of my hype for the game