By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can Vita Outsell Sega's GameGear LTD?

Michael-5 said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
Michael-5 said:

It really depends on hype, Dragon Quest 4-6 were less popular then DQ7 on console, yet on handheld they outsold DQ7 by a fair margin (Sold 33% better). DQ7 could break even if it were localized on the 3DS, but still the popular game from the PS1 "Golden Age" didn't actually fair any better.

It's all about hype, FFIII sold well because we never saw that game outside of Japan, and the DS wasn't too old yet. Chrono Trigger also sold well because the SNES cartridge and even PS1 disk are fairly expensive. FFVII would do well, but not exceptionally well because you can play it on Vita already by buying it over PSN.

As for WiiU, it really depends on how you look at it. If the WiiU sells for as long as the Wii did, then it's going to have a longer shelf life. WiiU is selling 20% as well as the Wii did over the same time period, so if this trend continues it could end with 25 million, which isn't terrible. However it's also selling less comparitively then the short lived (only 6 years of sales) Gamecube. Plus this could all flip if Nintendo releases another Wii Sports, and suddenly people flock to the system.

We have to keep in mind that DQ VII for 3DS has only been out for approximately 1 year vs the 10 – 4 years for the other three iterations and it is not very far behind. Given another several years on the market, I can see it surpassing all three of the previous iterations in Japan alone.

I whole heartedly believe your wrong in regards to the FFVII. Regardless of the original being available for PSN, you cannot tell me that on a WW scale that it would not trounce every previous remake that has been released. Even with it’s considerably small user base, if a remake with updated visuals,etc  of FFVII were to solely release on the Vita, I would be willing to bet my bank account that it would easily outsell all previous remakes by a minimum of a 4:1 margin. You have to consider that people like me (which are many) who are owners of Sony consoles who have no plans on purchasing a PSV, would be at the store within hours upon a release like that. We’ve been asking for a remake for years,lol.

25 million is decent, as long as they manage to be profitable followed by strong software sales. At this point it’s a toss up as to whether or not they manage to outsell the gamecube. Current sales would suggest the possibility of it falling short, however, certain games did not have the same appeal in the GC days as they do now. Not to mention system sellers like LoZ and Mario did not have massively appealing iterations for GC  like SM3DW and (hopefully) the upcoming Zelda U will.

DQ7 released 2 years ago in Japan, and generally JRPG's are frontloaded, especially in Japan. It's sales won't surpass the others, not unless it does unusually well outside of Japan (if it's ever localized).

I.....what? You think an FFVII remake would sell 8+ million on the Vita, a system with only 7 million owners? (FFIII sold over 2 million, you claimed it would sell 4x better). A console remake of FFVII yes, I agree. FFVII with PS4 or even WiiU graphics would be amazing. However on Vita the graphics won't be considerably different. I have to disagree with you, I think this is just a fan's dream. DQVII has about half as big for the PS1 as FFVII was, and fans have also been screaming for a remake. Now that one's been made, SE isn't even sure if it will sell enough to justify localization. Best case I would give FFVII is 4 million, and that's only if SE can manage to make this a 3DS/Vita release. If OoT can manage 3 million on 3DS, so can FFVII and 1 million on Vita would make 4. Also fans have been begging for an FFX remake as well, and it's looking to sell only 1 million maybe (and thus become one of Vita's best selling games).

For WiiU, actually even with current sales it could still top the Gamecube. Remember console lifetimes are longer now. Where Gamecube/PS2/XB peaked in 2 years, Wii/PS3/360 peaked in 2-5 years. I know Wii sales jumped in 2007 after Mario Kart, Galaxy and Fit. I'm hoping the same for 2014 for WiiU. I'm probably going to buy one when X releases, so long as X is not an MMO with a subscription fee.

Actually , it has not even been on the market for a full year. DQ VII  3DS was released February 9th 2013 for Japan.
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/71522/dragon-quest-vii/Japan/
We can also factor in that DQ IV & V also sold less copies in their 1st respective years that DQ VII , DQ VI is further ahead but with the increase in 3DS userbase over the next few years (DQ VI was released 6 years into the life cycle), then it's very possible  DQVII could surpass sales in Japan as well.

Yah, I'll fully admit I was being a little overzelous with that prediction. However, considering the Vita nears PS3 graphics, a remake would still be amazing in comparison to the PS1 version. I would renounce this thread if they made it because I beleive FFVII would actually do what no other PSV game has done so far and really push the hardware and at the end of it's lifetiem I would say at least 6 million copies of FFVII would be sold ( across all regions). The problem with Ocarina was that it wasn't a big jump in comparison to the 64 version, which I felt could have sold more had more effort been put into it.

Your right, console lifetime sales are longer but I have a feeling this generation will be shorter than previous. I blame this on PC. 360& PS3 were  powerful hardware for their time, while Xbone and PS4 are the equivalent of mid ranged PC's. Game development is becoming more costly so that could always allow for a longer cycle, which I hope happens. I wouldn't be worried about X. I think developers learned their lesson with the example of DQX. Subscription based games do not sell well on Nintendo platforms.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Around the Network

I'm amazed the Game Gear sold that many units !

Easy, eventually you will probably be able to get a PS4 plus a Vita for $100 extra.

Nirvana_Nut85 said:
Michael-5 said:

DQ7 released 2 years ago in Japan, and generally JRPG's are frontloaded, especially in Japan. It's sales won't surpass the others, not unless it does unusually well outside of Japan (if it's ever localized).

I.....what? You think an FFVII remake would sell 8+ million on the Vita, a system with only 7 million owners? (FFIII sold over 2 million, you claimed it would sell 4x better). A console remake of FFVII yes, I agree. FFVII with PS4 or even WiiU graphics would be amazing. However on Vita the graphics won't be considerably different. I have to disagree with you, I think this is just a fan's dream. DQVII has about half as big for the PS1 as FFVII was, and fans have also been screaming for a remake. Now that one's been made, SE isn't even sure if it will sell enough to justify localization. Best case I would give FFVII is 4 million, and that's only if SE can manage to make this a 3DS/Vita release. If OoT can manage 3 million on 3DS, so can FFVII and 1 million on Vita would make 4. Also fans have been begging for an FFX remake as well, and it's looking to sell only 1 million maybe (and thus become one of Vita's best selling games).

For WiiU, actually even with current sales it could still top the Gamecube. Remember console lifetimes are longer now. Where Gamecube/PS2/XB peaked in 2 years, Wii/PS3/360 peaked in 2-5 years. I know Wii sales jumped in 2007 after Mario Kart, Galaxy and Fit. I'm hoping the same for 2014 for WiiU. I'm probably going to buy one when X releases, so long as X is not an MMO with a subscription fee.

Actually , it has not even been on the market for a full year. DQ VII  3DS was released February 9th 2013 for Japan.
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/71522/dragon-quest-vii/Japan/
We can also factor in that DQ IV & V also sold less copies in their 1st respective years that DQ VII , DQ VI is further ahead but with the increase in 3DS userbase over the next few years (DQ VI was released 6 years into the life cycle), then it's very possible  DQVII could surpass sales in Japan as well.

Yah, I'll fully admit I was being a little overzelous with that prediction. However, considering the Vita nears PS3 graphics, a remake would still be amazing in comparison to the PS1 version. I would renounce this thread if they made it because I beleive FFVII would actually do what no other PSV game has done so far and really push the hardware and at the end of it's lifetiem I would say at least 6 million copies of FFVII would be sold ( across all regions). The problem with Ocarina was that it wasn't a big jump in comparison to the 64 version, which I felt could have sold more had more effort been put into it.

Your right, console lifetime sales are longer but I have a feeling this generation will be shorter than previous. I blame this on PC. 360& PS3 were  powerful hardware for their time, while Xbone and PS4 are the equivalent of mid ranged PC's. Game development is becoming more costly so that could always allow for a longer cycle, which I hope happens. I wouldn't be worried about X. I think developers learned their lesson with the example of DQX. Subscription based games do not sell well on Nintendo platforms.

My bad, either way RPG's in Japan are extremely front loaded. After about 5 weeks sales typically die as people start to sell their games. The used game market is huge in Japan.

FFVII could save Vita, but I think you're overly zealous with your figure. At best 1 in 4 Vita owners would buy FFVII, so you would need 4 million people to buy the console, for that game specifically. Realistically, anything this huge would be a PS3/PSV multi-platform release, and the PS3 version would cut Vita sales drastically. I say 2-3 million would be a more realistic figure for the Vita, and another 3-4 million for the PS3 version.

X is being developed by Monolith Soft, not Square Enix. Anything is possible. They could make X a free subscription MMO, which still is an MMO and thus boring to me.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

AnthonyW86 said:
Easy, eventually you will probably be able to get a PS4 plus a Vita for $100 extra.

Just get a vita.tv ;)

Around the Network
AnthonyW86 said:

THIS.  If this happens, it won't be close...

JoeTheBro said:
AnthonyW86 said:

Just get a vita.tv ;)

I thought the point of the PS Vita was to play games..."on the go"?  The Vita TV won't satisfy that option, unless I'm mistaken... :-/

MonstaTruk said:
JoeTheBro said:
AnthonyW86 said:

Just get a vita.tv ;)

I thought the point of the PS Vita was to play games..."on the go"?  The Vita TV won't satisfy that option, unless I'm mistaken... :-/

Get a smartphone with HDMI in and tape the Vita.TV to the back of it. Bring a controller and you're good to go!

JoeTheBro said:
MonstaTruk said:
JoeTheBro said:
AnthonyW86 said:

Just get a vita.tv ;)

Get a smartphone with HDMI in and tape the Vita.TV to the back of it. Bring a controller and you're good to go!

That's...sweet, Mr. Bro... :-/

MonstaTruk said:
JoeTheBro said:
MonstaTruk said:
JoeTheBro said:
AnthonyW86 said:

Just get a vita.tv ;)

That's...sweet, Mr. Bro... :-/

Hey I could actually see a 3rd party smartphone case with a Vita.TV clip happening.