By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can a Wii U redesign or rebrand help Nintendo?

Can a new Wii U SKU help sell more units?

Yes! 102 40.48%

No! 74 29.37%

Maybe? 75 29.76%

Total:251
SubiyaCryolite said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Captain_Tom said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Captain_Tom said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Captain_Tom said:
Right now they need to pretty much halt all advertising, and then launch an SKU with:

-$200 cost
-64GB+ storage
-No tablet, just a controller
-SSB
-MASSIVE advertising push

If they do this I could see them at least making back some of that market-share...

-SSB? Bundled with Super Smash Bros? For $199.99? 64 GB not 32 GB? More likely to be $279.99.  Expect a Wii U Basic model  with the Gamepad at $229.99, or for your price, the one I recommended for BeElite.

Exactly.  Which is why they will continue to sell horribly.  It's not even a third as strong as next gen, it has a pitiful amount of storage, and it has an inferior online service and library to the PS3.  It. Will. Not. Sell.

An 8 year old console has a larger library of games than a one year old console? No kidding? Wii U Is doOmedz!!!

Wii U is probably 1/3 the power of the PS4, but horsepower isn't the reason it selling badly. Marketing is the key factor to get attention from the masses.

Doesn't stop it from being true lol!   

P.S.  There is no "Probably" about it.  It is possible to actually do the math, and the Wii U is about 1/6th to 1/9th the strength of the PS4.

PS4 is a king in horsepower no doubt, but the Wii U isn't that much behind as you say. Wii U's architecture is extremely efficient and with enough effort and talent, it can almost match a XB1 or PS4 tailored game, just with less particle effects and slightly less refined texture details. Now if the Wii U had 8 cores instead of the 3 it has, it would topple both of them easily.

Lol, no. Its easy to think that with artsy games like 3D World and Wind Waker HD. But in the realistic department every launch game on PS4 thoroughly trounces X, Bayonetta or any other realistic 3D game you care to mention. Little Big Planet PS4, Kingdom Hearts 3 and Ratchet and Clank will destroy WiiU in the cartoony graphics department. Full HD to boot.

Really? X and Bayonetta 2 have been released? Seriously, the only trailer from X. Is form it's alpha stage in development, and Killzone, CoD, or Battlefield 4 doesn't "trample" Bayonetta 2, as they aren't even the same genre. 

Around the Network
TheLegendaryWolf said:

PS4 is a king in horsepower no doubt, but the Wii U isn't that much behind as you say. Wii U's architecture is extremely efficient and with enough effort and talent, it can almost match a XB1 or PS4 tailored game, just with less particle effects and slightly less refined texture details. Now if the Wii U had 8 cores instead of the 3 it has, it would topple both of them easily.

You migth want to play both and see for your self, its very far behind.   Nintys cartooni styled games hide its weakneses well but its clear as day.  Its not ever gonna match PS4 games so dont spread false hope like that.  You really think given enough time and talent any one will even remotly come close to match what Naughty Dog will do on PS4 ?  they wont.

BeElite said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:

You migth want to play both and see for your self, its very far behind.   Nintys cartooni styled games hide its weakneses well but its clear as day.  Its not ever gonna match PS4 games so dont spread false hope like that.  You really think given enough time and talent any one will even remotly come close to match what Naughty Dog will do on PS4 ?  they wont.

I never said it could match them, just not far as far behind as many say it will. Slightly Mad Studios Project CARS is proof of that. It can run as almost as great as its XB1 and PS4 counterparts, except some "dynamic particle effects." Slightly Mad Studio is the only 3rd party that is currently talented and ambitous enough to show the Wii U's true potential.

Skeeuk said:
wiiu with a pro controller, tablet sold as extra, nsmbu included

120gb hdd

possible slimmer design all games support pro controller including Wii games like Zelda and galaxy

£199

120gb hdd? late 2014? realy? why not 128gb flash?they are realy cheap know...

and why not just bundle a wii u with an tablet AND an pro controller for 250? making controllers and the tab is realy cheap.

TheLegendaryWolf said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Captain_Tom said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Captain_Tom said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Captain_Tom said:
Right now they need to pretty much halt all advertising, and then launch an SKU with:

-$200 cost
-64GB+ storage
-SSB

If they do this I could see them at least making back some of that market-share...

-SSB? Bundled with Super Smash Bros? For $199.99? 64 GB not 32 GB? More likely to be $279.99.  Expect a Wii U Basic model  with the Gamepad at $229.99, or for your price, the one I recommended for BeElite.

Exactly.  Which is why they will continue to sell horribly.  It's not even a third as strong as next gen, it has a pitiful amount of storage, and it has an inferior online service and library to the PS3.  It. Will. Not. Sell.

An 8 year old console has a larger library of games than a one year old console? No kidding? Wii U Is doOmedz!!!

Wii U is probably 1/3 the power of the PS4, but horsepower isn't the reason it selling badly. Marketing is the key factor to get attention from the masses.

P.S.  There is no "Probably" about it.  It is possible to actually do the math, and the Wii U is about 1/6th to 1/9th the strength of the PS4.

Lol, no. Its easy to think that with artsy games like 3D World and Wind Waker HD. But in the realistic department every launch game on PS4 thoroughly trounces X, Bayonetta or any other realistic 3D game you care to mention. Little Big Planet PS4, Kingdom Hearts 3 and Ratchet and Clank will destroy WiiU in the cartoony graphics department. Full HD to boot.

Really? X and Bayonetta 2 have been released? Seriously, the only trailer from X. Is form it's alpha stage in development, and Killzone, CoD, or Battlefield 4 doesn't "trample" Bayonetta 2, as they aren't even the same genre. 

We have two trailers from X. We also have direct footage of Bayonetta 2 + Screenshots all over the internet. Name any WiiU game that has changed drastically in terms of graphics from first footage to launch? Let me make this easy for you. One of the best looking Wii U games out right now, vs its PS4 counterpart. Exact same genre, exact same franchise. Apply the same scale to X and say the Witcher 3. And tell me how "close" the Wii U is. Its night and day, especially in motion, don't kid yourself.

Wii U

PS4 

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Captain_Tom said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Captain_Tom said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Captain_Tom said:

-$200 cost
-64GB+ storage
-SSB

We have two trailers from X. We also have direct footage of Bayonetta 2 + Screenshots all over the internet. Name any WiiU game that has changed drastically in terms of graphics from first footage to launch? Let me make this easy for you. One of the best looking Wii U games out right now, vs its PS4 counterpart. Exact same genre, exact same franchise. Apply the same scale to X and say the Witcher 3. And tell me how "close" the Wii U is. Its night and day, especially in motion, don't kid yourself.

Wii U

PS4 

To name a few, SM3DW, Pikmin 3, Lego City Undercover, and Wonderful 101 look better than the trailer. I can name one game for the PS3, White Knight Chronicles, had a trailer much better than the actual product. Also, great job comparing NFS Most Wanted U to NFS Rivals PS4 like they're the same game.

TheLegendaryWolf said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Captain_Tom said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Captain_Tom said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Captain_Tom said:

-$200 cost
-64GB+ storage
-SSB

Wii U

PS4 

To name a few, SM3DW, Pikmin 3, Lego City Undercover, and Wonderful 101 look better than the trailer. I can name one game for the PS3, White Knight Chronicles, had a trailer much better than the actual product. Also, great job comparing NFS Most Wanted U to NFS Rivals PS4 like they're the same game.

Typical WiiU fan response, making up the rules as you go I see. What game is suitable for comparing then? Dont bring up 3D World since "its not the same game" and not available on the PS4. And by the way.

3D World Announcement Trailer (First Footage)

3D World Launch trailer (Release Footage)

Such a huge difference. Everything is sooooo much better >_>

ktay95 said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:

Here's one that could possibly help it in late 2014/ early 2015.

The all new Wii U Pro Set. Wii tailored it for U. With it's glossy, yet sleek silver finish, 250GB of HDD, and games you cant get anywhere else, for just $299.99. 

I like it and all but that is a major flaw. Nintendo are yet to deliver enough great games you cant get anywhere else to make WiiU worth it to most people. Nintendo need to invest in new studios so they can have these games or they have to stop supporting 3DS, my choice is invest in new studios.

Yeah, unlike the Wii U the PS4 is delivering enough great games you can't get anywhere else...

As the PS4 has shown, that has absolutely nothing to do with sales. The Wii U's main problem is lack of third party support. That's not gonna be solved by Nintendo investing in new studios as this will only result in even more first/second party games.

Gamers buy the PS4 because it's the cheaper of the two consoles that will have allmost all third party games. If the PS4 had similar 3rd party support as the Wii U, it would not sell well.

A different SKU, a different name, a different price. All pretty much meaningless when you don't get the same games.

I would re-launch the original Gamepad

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

TomaTito said:

I would re-launch the original Gamepad

Indeed, a slimmer sexier gamepad that gives the illusion of a bigger screen wouldnt hurt. Im not sure about the analog sticks though.