By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can a Wii U redesign or rebrand help Nintendo?

Can a new Wii U SKU help sell more units?

Yes! 102 40.48%

No! 74 29.37%

Maybe? 75 29.76%

Total:251

Wii U is a dead end idea. Unless they are seriously going to compete with MS/Sony, the home console itself may be a dead end idea for them. They put up a good fight, but you simply cannot stay in the console business forever with virtually no real third party support or perhaps even more importantly no real relevance to people who buy third party games.

Around the Network

The silver is tacky, no self respecting person would put that in their entertainment set up!!

You basically think making it silver and adding RAM is going to help things?

Rebrand and Relaunch similar to PS3 2009. Perhaps same price but with pro included and one 1st party game

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

SubiyaCryolite said:
Rebrand and Relaunch similar to PS3 2009. Perhaps same price but with pro included and one 1st party game

But what would it be renamed? Playstation 3 to PS3 wasn't that huge of a change. The Wii U could be called NWU (Nintendo Wii U), WU, or just U but it's a much larger and confusing change in brand, but they should put more emphasis on the U than the Wii.

TheLegendaryWolf said:
Captain_Tom said:
Right now they need to pretty much halt all advertising, and then launch an SKU with:

-$200 cost
-64GB+ storage
-No tablet, just a controller
-SSB
-MASSIVE advertising push

If they do this I could see them at least making back some of that market-share...

-SSB? Bundled with Super Smash Bros? For $199.99? 64 GB not 32 GB? More likely to be $279.99.  Expect a Wii U Basic model  with the Gamepad at $229.99, or for your price, the one I recommended for BeElite.

Exactly.  Which is why they will continue to sell horribly.  It's not even a third as strong as next gen, it has a pitiful amount of storage, and it has an inferior online service and library to the PS3.  It. Will. Not. Sell.

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Captain_Tom said:
Right now they need to pretty much halt all advertising, and then launch an SKU with:

-$200 cost
-64GB+ storage
-SSB

If they do this I could see them at least making back some of that market-share...

-SSB? Bundled with Super Smash Bros? For $199.99? 64 GB not 32 GB? More likely to be $279.99.  Expect a Wii U Basic model  with the Gamepad at $229.99, or for your price, the one I recommended for BeElite.

Exactly.  Which is why they will continue to sell horribly.  It's not even a third as strong as next gen, it has a pitiful amount of storage, and it has an inferior online service and library to the PS3.  It. Will. Not. Sell.

An 8 year old console has a larger library of games than a one year old console? No kidding? Wii U Is doOmedz!!!

Wii U is probably 1/3 the power of the PS4, but horsepower isn't the reason it selling badly. Marketing is the key factor to get attention from the masses.

TheLegendaryWolf said:
Captain_Tom said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Captain_Tom said:

-$200 cost
-64GB+ storage
-SSB

An 8 year old console has a larger library of games than a one year old console? No kidding? Wii U Is doOmedz!!!

Wii U is probably 1/3 the power of the PS4, but horsepower isn't the reason it selling badly. Marketing is the key factor to get attention from the masses.

Doesn't stop it from being true lol!   

P.S.  There is no "Probably" about it.  It is possible to actually do the math, and the Wii U is about 1/6th to 1/9th the strength of the PS4.

TheLegendaryWolf said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

But what would it be renamed? Playstation 3 to PS3 wasn't that huge of a change. The Wii U could be called NWU (Nintendo Wii U), WU, or just U but it's a much larger and confusing change in brand, but they should put more emphasis on the U than the Wii.

The "NU", Nintendo U.  It is litterally called "NEW!"

Ditch the gamepad and I am in.

If Nintendo wants to launch a new SKU they have to convince retailers to stock them. And as much as people round here complain about it, I doubt the mass market is looking at the Wii U and saying, "Man, I'd buy that yesterday, if only it came with a built-in HDD."

I wish people would stop describing their dream SKUs. If Nintendo made a SKU with hotrod flames painted on the Wii U and gave it a 1 TB HDD, 8 gigs of RAM, dropped the GamePad from the bundle but included two Pro Controllers plated with solid gold, bundled with Metroid Prime HD Trilogy, sold for $250, I'd be all over it. They should do that because obviously everyone wants the same thing as me and there's no way they would be bleeding money from every orifice if they did something like that.