By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can a Wii U redesign or rebrand help Nintendo?

Can a new Wii U SKU help sell more units?

Yes! 102 40.48%

No! 74 29.37%

Maybe? 75 29.76%

Total:251

Hmmm, I just picked up my gamepad and I'm not sure if they could make it much smaller.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network

I would relaunch the Wii U with a different look, and a new name. Then, add a $20 "Xbox Live" type of service with a messaging system, voice chat while playing/browsing, an achievement system, and daily/weekly discount prices on the eShop.

SubiyaCryolite said:
TomaTito said:

I would re-launch the original Gamepad

Indeed, a slimmer sexier gamepad that gives the illusion of a bigger screen wouldnt hurt. Im not sure about the analog sticks though.

I want to know how it feels to hold that prototype, it looked so nice. The circle pads are a compromise and OK on the 3DS.

Release it as a WiiU Lite Fit SKU, and I buy it for my parents.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

@199, I do not see why not.

Praise the One.

TomaTito said:

I would re-launch the original Gamepad

Just add analog sticks to the prototype, maybe it'll be cheaper to manufacture.

Around the Network

Those suggesting that Nintendo drop the Upad entirely (EDIT: from one of the bundles, that is) are kidding themselves - the Upad is too integrated into the system's design to permit a version with no Upad at all...

... that said, it occurs to me that there *is* an alternate solution, and it looks something like this:

Obviously, with layout matching the Wii U Pro Controller in terms of buttons. What I'm suggesting is that there could be a small touchscreen on the controller, still capable of doing everything that the Upad's touchscreen does, just at a smaller scale. They could also drop the NFC functionality.

Indeed, in a way, it would be much like the Nintendo 2DS, in terms of design - it just wouldn't have multiple "screens", and would have an extra analog stick. With the actual guts of the 2DS/3DS removed from the system, price should be kept relatively low. I could see the controller getting down into the US$70-80 range, which should make it affordable in a "Classic Gamer" pack that focuses more on gaming that one would do with the Pro controller. The screen would primarily be for the Wii U Menu, and for things like maps and inventories.

This would be a reasonable compromise, reducing controller cost and giving more of the form factor of the Pro Controller, without having to completely redesign the Wii U's OS and patch every game to account for the possibility of no Upad.

TheLegendaryWolf said:
BeElite said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:

PS4 is a king in horsepower no doubt, but the Wii U isn't that much behind as you say. Wii U's architecture is extremely efficient and with enough effort and talent, it can almost match a XB1 or PS4 tailored game, just with less particle effects and slightly less refined texture details. Now if the Wii U had 8 cores instead of the 3 it has, it would topple both of them easily.

You migth want to play both and see for your self, its very far behind.   Nintys cartooni styled games hide its weakneses well but its clear as day.  Its not ever gonna match PS4 games so dont spread false hope like that.  You really think given enough time and talent any one will even remotly come close to match what Naughty Dog will do on PS4 ?  they wont.

I never said it could match them, just not far as far behind as many say it will. Slightly Mad Studios Project CARS is proof of that. It can run as almost as great as its XB1 and PS4 counterparts, except some "dynamic particle effects." Slightly Mad Studio is the only 3rd party that is currently talented and ambitous enough to show the Wii U's true potential.

ProjectC is proof of nothing, everyhing youv seen is PC builds.  They have not shows the game runnnig on consoles yet.  You have hopes and dreams of them showing some imaginery WiiU power based of seeing screens made on i7 PCs, its hilarious.  SMS is a small indi dev kissing every fanbases ass hoping they buy their game, its just good pr.

Some of these screens are of PCs costing 2k, you need to get some reality based expectations.

Wiiu 720p 30fps
PS4 1080p 60fps

BeElite said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
BeElite said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:

PS4 is a king in horsepower no doubt, but the Wii U isn't that much behind as you say. Wii U's architecture is extremely efficient and with enough effort and talent, it can almost match a XB1 or PS4 tailored game, just with less particle effects and slightly less refined texture details. Now if the Wii U had 8 cores instead of the 3 it has, it would topple both of them easily.

You migth want to play both and see for your self, its very far behind.   Nintys cartooni styled games hide its weakneses well but its clear as day.  Its not ever gonna match PS4 games so dont spread false hope like that.  You really think given enough time and talent any one will even remotly come close to match what Naughty Dog will do on PS4 ?  they wont.

I never said it could match them, just not far as far behind as many say it will. Slightly Mad Studios Project CARS is proof of that. It can run as almost as great as its XB1 and PS4 counterparts, except some "dynamic particle effects." Slightly Mad Studio is the only 3rd party that is currently talented and ambitous enough to show the Wii U's true potential.

ProjectC is proof of nothing, everyhing youv seen is PC builds.  They have not shows the game runnnig on consoles yet.  You have hopes and dreams of them showing some imaginery WiiU power based of seeing screens made on i7 PCs, its hilarious.  SMS is a small indi dev kissing every fanbases ass hoping they buy their game, its just good pr.

Some of these screens are of PCs costing 2k, you need to get some reality based expectations.

Wiiu 720p 30fps
PS4 1080p 60fps

Indeed. I cant wait to see how Project CARS compares to Forza 4 (360) and Forza 5 (X1). I wonder what excuses they'll cook up after that.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

SubiyaCryolite said:

Indeed. I cant wait to see how Project CARS compares to Forza 4 (360) and Forza 5 (X1). I wonder what excuses they'll cook up after that.

The best version will be on incredibly powerfull PCs, they will just champion that.

There is literally nothing wrong with the design. It could use more internal memory, but then again you can also use SD cards and externals, making that a non-issue.

They don't need a new SKU. They need to make a MK8 bundle later this year. That will sell, bottom line.