By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can a Wii U redesign or rebrand help Nintendo?

Can a new Wii U SKU help sell more units?

Yes! 102 40.48%

No! 74 29.37%

Maybe? 75 29.76%

Total:251
SubiyaCryolite said:
Baron said:
BeElite said:
Baron said:
BeElite said:

ProjectC is proof of nothing, everyhing youv seen is PC builds.  They have not shows the game runnnig on consoles yet.  You have hopes and dreams of them showing some imaginery WiiU power based of seeing screens made on i7 PCs, its hilarious.  SMS is a small indi dev kissing every fanbases ass hoping they buy their game, its just good pr.

Some of these screens are of PCs costing 2k, you need to get some reality based expectations.

Wiiu 720p 30fps
PS4 1080p 60fps

With the majority of Wii U games running at 60 fps I see no reason why Project Cars won't be able to run at 60 fps as well.

go ask them, those are the released numbers by the dev.

Edit - Never mind, found it.

Dem lazy 3rd parties.

Nope, only the cartoony first party games run at 60fps. Pikmin 3 (the only realistic Ninty game) does 30fps too. 99.99% of third pary games (realistic btw) 30fps. Develoers arent lazy, its all the system can do.

Pikmin 3 was originally going to release on the Wii. As for Project CARS, we will see the truth later this year.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
Why the hell did this turn into a graphics discussion?

Anyhow, getting rid of the Gamepad is almost a 100% no. Nintendo wouldn't do that, they've based a lot of the Wii U around the Gamepad. What Nintendo needs is a price cut with a Mario Kart bundle, especially for the holidays.

The price cut probably won't happen, though.

agreed. as a ninty fan i like the concept of the controler, and feel its the best overall, manly because of whts possible with it. dual shock 4's tuoch pad is interesting but it doesnt and the depth the gamepad does.

SubiyaCryolite said:
Nope, only the cartoony first party games run at 60fps. Pikmin 3 (the only realistic Ninty game) does 30fps too. 99.99% of third pary games (realistic btw) 30fps. Develoers arent lazy, its all the system can do.

Bayonetta 2 is confirmed to be set for 1080p @ 60fps. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate also runs at 1080p @ 60fps.

Your argument is invalid.

Now, if you don't have something on-topic to say, I suggest that you find a thread about Wii U graphics, as this is not such a thread.

SubiyaCryolite said:
Baron said:
BeElite said:
Baron said:
BeElite said:

ProjectC is proof of nothing, everyhing youv seen is PC builds.  They have not shows the game runnnig on consoles yet.  You have hopes and dreams of them showing some imaginery WiiU power based of seeing screens made on i7 PCs, its hilarious.  SMS is a small indi dev kissing every fanbases ass hoping they buy their game, its just good pr.

Some of these screens are of PCs costing 2k, you need to get some reality based expectations.

Wiiu 720p 30fps
PS4 1080p 60fps

With the majority of Wii U games running at 60 fps I see no reason why Project Cars won't be able to run at 60 fps as well.

Dem lazy 3rd parties.

You do know Realistic doesn't mean more demanding, right? It's just an art style.

Aielyn said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

Bayonetta 2 is confirmed to be set for 1080p @ 60fps. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate also runs at 1080p @ 60fps.

Your argument is invalid.

Now, if you don't have something on-topic to say, I suggest that you find a thread about Wii U graphics, as this is not such a thread.

Nope my argument is very valid.

Its not derailing if you're correcting a false claim. 1080p has NOT been confirmed by Platinum in Bayonetta 2. Silicon era suggested it and everyone ran with it as "official".

Monster hunter is an upressed Wii game. Just like Wind Waker is an upressed GameCube game. Just like Zone of Enders is an upressed PS2 game on the PS3. ALL 1080p, not some magical feat given the rendering involved. I have no problem believing Smash will be 1080p because apart from textures its not doing much on top of Brawl graphics wise for example.

And I already posted my on topic response. I just dont like letting things like this slide.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network
Baron said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
Baron said:
BeElite said:
Baron said:
BeElite said:

Wiiu 720p 30fps
PS4 1080p 60fps

Dem lazy 3rd parties.

You do know Realistic doesn't mean more demanding, right? It's just an art style.

We both know that isnt true. Since Pikmin was originally a Wii game it should have had no problems hitting 60fps, just like older PC games run much better than newer ones on modern hardware. X and the Next Zelda should both hit 60fps by that logic as well.

The problem is, Nintendo can not really increase improve the system.
They can not make it quiter and can not make it consume less power and can not make it smaller.
Their actual advantages are in real disadvantages and the other way around with PS4/Xbone.

Nintendo can:
- increase internal storage
- increase battery life of the controller
- increase distance the controller can be used from WiiU

But such things dont sell!

Why do you think so much XB360 and PS3 have been sold?
I bet there were quite some people which bought 3-4 same consoles because of the new desings.
PS3 20GB/60GB, then slim, then super-slim.
XB360 core/premium, then arcade/elite, then slim and finally the slim with kinect.

If everyone who bought more than one XB360/PS3 would still count only 1 sold console, i guess both were maximum at 60 Million XB360 maybe even less.

Please feel free to add things to my list above, at the moment i dont see too much potential to further improve WiiU Hardware. Remember you have to keep the same performance and you always have to support the Gamepad. There is not much which can be done.

DaAndy said:
The problem is, Nintendo can not really increase the system.
They can not make it quiter and can not make it consume less power and can not make it smaller.
Their actualy advanteges are in real disadvantages and the other way around with PS4/Xbone.

Nintendo can:
- increase internal storage
- increase battery life of the controller
- increase distance the controller can be used from WiiU

But such things dont sell!

Why do you think so much XB360 and PS3 have been sold?
I bet there were quite some people which bought 3-4 same consoles because of the new desings.
PS3 20GB/60GB, then slim, then super-slim.
XB360 core/premium, then arcade/elite, then slim and finally the slim with kinect.

If everyone who bought more than one XB360/PS3 would still count only 1 sold console, i guess both were maximum at 60 Million XB360 maybe even less.

Please feel free to add things to my list above, at the moment i dont see too much potential to further improve WiiU Hardware. Remember you have to keep the same performance and you always have to support the Gamepad. There is not much which can be done.

Pretty spot on. Only marketting, a good price and appropriate games can help them ride the WiiU out long enough to profit  from it.

SubiyaCryolite said:
Baron said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

We both know that isnt true. Since Pikmin was originally a Wii game it should have had no problems hitting 60fps, just like older PC games run much better than newer ones on modern hardware. X and the Next Zelda should both hit 60fps by that logic as well.

Pixels, Texels and Vertices have absolutely nothing to do with whether a game looks realistic or cartoony. By your logic Call of Duty 4 is more demanding than Knack. Because it looks more realistic.

It's absolute nonsense.

Baron said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
Baron said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

Pixels, Texels and Vertices have absolutely nothing to do with whether a game looks realistic or cartoony. By your logic Call of Duty 4 is more demanding than Knack. Because it looks more realistic.

It's absolute nonsense.

Oh please, cartoony games have simple stages and geometry. Very few characters on screen at a given time and limited geometrical scope (i.e open world, or large open stages rather than a linear path).  

Anyone who knows about streaming, culling and the shaders needed to simulate real graphics (bump, gloss, ambient occulssion, complex shadows, multi texturing, anistrophic filtering, geometric instancing for grass/trees, motion blur, tesselation, complex particles etc etc) will tell you this has a huge toll on graphics. Its what makes PC games run at 90fps on low and 30 fps on ultra high.

If not project CARS should be 1080p60 like mario cart right? Whats stopping project cars from being 1080p60 like Mario Kart then? What stopped Assassin Creed IV, Mass Effect 3 and Darksiders from being 1080p. I really want to hear your answer