By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can a Wii U redesign or rebrand help Nintendo?

Can a new Wii U SKU help sell more units?

Yes! 102 40.48%

No! 74 29.37%

Maybe? 75 29.76%

Total:251

Remember wii u is built on a low cost older fabrication process compared to PS4 and Xbox One. They use 28nm but Nintendo used 40nm for gpu and 45nm for cpu. This has kept the manufacturing cost very low. Even at this more power hungry and heat generating fabrication process the wii u produces very little heat and has a minor fan to expel that heat. A updated wii u using 28nm would be even lower in consumption, an absolutely tiny amount. The wii u can easily get smaller but that would increase manufacturing costs.

Realistically the wii u can only really become a budget console. A console bought almost exclusively for Nintendo and first party games.

As it stands Nintendo will have a lot of remaining stock of wii u consoles to shift. I think many of these new wii u bundles were simply old stock repackaged to disguise the fact that so much old stock hasn't been sold.

They predicted 9 million consoles for the year but will have sold about 2 million. There may be many millions waiting to be sold.

When they get through all this stock which could well last all this year into the next then perhaps a new sku could appear. Smaller gamepad has been my suggestion for a long time.

They should never have abandoned the wii. It still outsells the wii u in Europe. For casual games its still the best console. It was madness to abandon it so early. Let the consumers decide when it should finish.

The wii mini was a brilliant idea but the actual product was a total disaster. It needed a hdmi port for modern televisions they gave it composite output. It was cutdown into a truly awful product. A good wii mini design could have been a huge hit.

Many of the games coming out for wii u could have also come out for wii. In fact many look like they were meant to be wii titles and were simply changed to wii u at the last minute. It's utterly stupid to abandon the wii like that.

There are still tons of great games to come out for ps3 that will also be on ps4. Same is true for Xbox 360 and Xbox One. What were Nintendo thinking.

Admittedly many of the decisions Nintendo have made may not have obviously been wrong at the time but many others were utterly stupid and clearly wrong at the time.

Still saying that I never understood the success of the wii. I didn't buy one until many years after launch when they were cheap. My first wii was £45 I think. I didn't think the motion controllers were that big a deal but clearly other consumers felt otherwise.

I still believe the wii u can be saved and can be a major success this generation but it needs something Nintendo resist at every opportunity which is value in addition to many other changes. The wii u simply isn't capable of delivering true next gen performance and the outgoing ps3 and 360 are widely supported with low cost games. Nintendo have to add value. That may be downloadable wii, gamecube and N64 games at very low prices. That may be adding functionality to the wii u firmware like media centre features or blu-ray playback if possible. Perhaps be more creative with rental and resell options for downloadable games. At the moment Nintendo charges very high prices for everything and they even limit how many times you can play a playable demo. They just don't get value at all. Apple on the other hand charges huge prices for hardware but totally understands value for content. Nintendo just don't understand they need to find a value balance that makes sense to consumers.

Around the Network

Yeah, unlike the Wii U the PS4 is delivering enough great games you can't get anywhere else...

As the PS4 has shown, that has absolutely nothing to do with sales. The Wii U's main problem is lack of third party support. That's not gonna be solved by Nintendo investing in new studios as this will only result in even more first/second party games.

Gamers buy the PS4 because it's the cheaper of the two consoles that will have allmost all third party games. If the PS4 had similar 3rd party support as the Wii U, it would not sell well.

A different SKU, a different name, a different price. All pretty much meaningless when you don't get the same games.

Knack and Killzone?

Arkhandar said:

Yeah, unlike the Wii U the PS4 is delivering enough great games you can't get anywhere else...

As the PS4 has shown, that has absolutely nothing to do with sales. The Wii U's main problem is lack of third party support. That's not gonna be solved by Nintendo investing in new studios as this will only result in even more first/second party games.

Gamers buy the PS4 because it's the cheaper of the two consoles that will have allmost all third party games. If the PS4 had similar 3rd party support as the Wii U, it would not sell well.

A different SKU, a different name, a different price. All pretty much meaningless when you don't get the same games.

Knack and Killzone?

Right now the WiiU has more quality games. However at the end of this year the PS4 will have more, and the tide will constantly be in its favour throughout the rest of this gen.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

SubiyaCryolite said:
Arkhandar said:

Knack and Killzone?

Right now the WiiU has more quality games. However at the end of this year the PS4 will have more, and the tide will constantly be in its favour throughout the rest of this gen.

It will have more becuase  games because all 3rd parties support the PS4, the Wii U on the other hand, has like 2 3rd party supporters confirmed this year.

Just one thing more coming to my mind.

I guess if it was possible to optimize the WiiU production in the way that the power consumption is on an absolute minimum AND making better and better rechargeable battery packs, maybe in future it can be sold with an rechargeable battery pack, which can support the whole WiiU console with energy for lets say 5-6 hours.

Then it could become a "portable home console". ^^

Around the Network
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Captain_Tom said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Captain_Tom said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Captain_Tom said:
Right now they need to pretty much halt all advertising, and then launch an SKU with:

-$200 cost
-64GB+ storage
-No tablet, just a controller
-SSB
-MASSIVE advertising push

If they do this I could see them at least making back some of that market-share...

-SSB? Bundled with Super Smash Bros? For $199.99? 64 GB not 32 GB? More likely to be $279.99.  Expect a Wii U Basic model  with the Gamepad at $229.99, or for your price, the one I recommended for BeElite.

Exactly.  Which is why they will continue to sell horribly.  It's not even a third as strong as next gen, it has a pitiful amount of storage, and it has an inferior online service and library to the PS3.  It. Will. Not. Sell.

An 8 year old console has a larger library of games than a one year old console? No kidding? Wii U Is doOmedz!!!

Wii U is probably 1/3 the power of the PS4, but horsepower isn't the reason it selling badly. Marketing is the key factor to get attention from the masses.

Doesn't stop it from being true lol!   

P.S.  There is no "Probably" about it.  It is possible to actually do the math, and the Wii U is about 1/6th to 1/9th the strength of the PS4.

PS4 is a king in horsepower no doubt, but the Wii U isn't that much behind as you say. Wii U's architecture is extremely efficient and with enough effort and talent, it can almost match a XB1 or PS4 tailored game, just with less particle effects and slightly less refined texture details. Now if the Wii U had 8 cores instead of the 3 it has, it would topple both of them easily.

What makes you say that?!

The Wii U essentially uses a CUT DOWN HD 5550 and memory clocked at 1600 MHz.   That is 320 cores at 550 MHz on an old 40nm process.

The PS4 essentially has a 7870 with a few less cores than it, but much faster memory 5500 MHz.  That is 1152 cores at 800 MHz on the modern 28nm process.

How you get only 3x stronger is beyond me.  But people believe what they want to I suppose...

TheLegendaryWolf said:

For $199.99 you can get this.

The all new, Wii U Starter Set. With a nice, white finish, 8GB of flash memory, and the Wii U Pro Controller, for just $199.99. Made just for BeElite.

Agree on the controller...but 8 gigs? That's a joke, my sd card on my 3ds is 16gig's and it cost less than 15 bucks!! give me 80 gigs for that price and then we'll talk ( or at least 64).

SubiyaCryolite said:
Baron said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
Baron said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

Nope, only the cartoony first party games run at 60fps. Pikmin 3 (the only realistic Ninty game) does 30fps too. 99.99% of third pary games (realistic btw) 30fps. Develoers arent lazy, its all the system can do.

You do know Realistic doesn't mean more demanding, right? It's just an art style.

We both know that isnt true. Since Pikmin was originally a Wii game it should have had no problems hitting 60fps, just like older PC games run much better than newer ones on modern hardware. X and the Next Zelda should both hit 60fps by that logic as well.

Pixels, Texels and Vertices have absolutely nothing to do with whether a game looks realistic or cartoony. By your logic Call of Duty 4 is more demanding than Knack. Because it looks more realistic.

It's absolute nonsense.

Oh please, cartoony games have simple stages and geometry. Very few characters on screen at a given time and limited geometrical scope (i.e open world, or large open stages rather than a linear path).  

Anyone who knows about streaming, culling and the shaders needed to simulate real graphics (bump, gloss, ambient occulssion, complex shadows, multi texturing, anistrophic filtering, geometric instancing for grass/trees, motion blur, tesselation, complex particles etc etc) will tell you this has a huge toll on graphics. Its what makes PC games run at 90fps on low and 30 fps on ultra high.

If not project CARS should be 1080p60 like mario cart right? Whats stopping project cars from being 1080p60 like Mario Kart then? What stopped Assassin Creed IV, Mass Effect 3 and Darksiders from being 1080p. I really want to hear your answer

Call of Duty 4 more demanding than Knack confirmed...

How about  a Wii U with 32GB of SSD for $199.99?

Baron said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
Baron said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
Baron said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

Nope, only the cartoony first party games run at 60fps. Pikmin 3 (the only realistic Ninty game) does 30fps too. 99.99% of third pary games (realistic btw) 30fps. Develoers arent lazy, its all the system can do.

You do know Realistic doesn't mean more demanding, right? It's just an art style.

We both know that isnt true. Since Pikmin was originally a Wii game it should have had no problems hitting 60fps, just like older PC games run much better than newer ones on modern hardware. X and the Next Zelda should both hit 60fps by that logic as well.

Pixels, Texels and Vertices have absolutely nothing to do with whether a game looks realistic or cartoony. By your logic Call of Duty 4 is more demanding than Knack. Because it looks more realistic.

It's absolute nonsense.

Oh please, cartoony games have simple stages and geometry. Very few characters on screen at a given time and limited geometrical scope (i.e open world, or large open stages rather than a linear path).  

Anyone who knows about streaming, culling and the shaders needed to simulate real graphics (bump, gloss, ambient occulssion, complex shadows, multi texturing, anistrophic filtering, geometric instancing for grass/trees, motion blur, tesselation, complex particles etc etc) will tell you this has a huge toll on graphics. Its what makes PC games run at 90fps on low and 30 fps on ultra high.

If not project CARS should be 1080p60 like mario cart right? Whats stopping project cars from being 1080p60 like Mario Kart then? What stopped Assassin Creed IV, Mass Effect 3 and Darksiders from being 1080p. I really want to hear your answer

Call of Duty 4 more demanding than Knack confirmed...

"If not project CARS should be 1080p60 like mario cart right? Whats stopping project cars from being 1080p60 like Mario Kart then? What stopped Assassin Creed IV, Mass Effect 3 and Darksiders from being 1080p. I really want to hear your answer"

You have no idea what you're talking about confirmed. CoD is 60fps and everyone knows its not the best looking shooter out there, I wonder why? Call me when you have any 720p60 or 1080p60 game with realistic graphics on the U.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine