By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - will Wii U officially become $199 this year?

d21lewis said:
Metallicube said:

Wii U's price is fine right now.

Power means little in the grand scheme of things. You don't play "power"

That goes against everything I was raised to believe.

Ha this is true.. Guess Nintendo abandoned that philosophy :/

Around the Network

Yeah but $199 then is like $320 now

No it wont have to. Cranky kong should make the Wii U sell comfortably more than the PS4

Since it's selling at a loss, I would expect no less than $250 unless they sell a model without the gamepad. I think the best bet is $250 for a Mario Kart bundle as soon as the game comes out or in the summer. If that doesn't sell, nothing will, not even Smash.

I expect 149$ be the end of 2014.

Around the Network

People need to understand the difference between value and worth. Nintendo can drop the price, give you so much "value" with bundles, but in the end is it "worthy"? That's the problem...Wii U is (mostly) an undesirable product. Apathetic gamers will shrug at that price, then come back with "I'll think about it for $149".

This Wii U failure is a hard lesson Ninty must learn: If you don't build it, they won't come. Don't sacrifice power, just because Nintendo themselves may not need it...this just says "F all third parties, deal with it". The Gamepad was a failure because it was forced down people's throats, and had to sacrifice console's power for its birth. That means DOA, it was never given a chance. Now if the gamepad was optional, mainly a luxury peripheral that could have been Ninty's tool to make money back on the console (competitors have paid online services), then Ninty would have been taken much more seriously. Its a joke in the western world, for the most part.

IMO the first step Nintendo needs to take, is a big time, aggressive acquisition of a western company, & cede power to NOA for their home consoles....by purchasing Valve. But as long as they are in their little Japanese xenophobic operating ways, Ninty will always fail in home consoles. They need pure luck (i.e. Chicago Bulls's 1.7% chance at drafting Derrick Rose) otherwise.

All those price cuts didn't exactly help the Gamecube, so I think Nintendo will be a bit more sparse with them this time around. I don't think we'll see another price cut until next year, holiday 2014 at the earliest.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:
All those price cuts didn't exactly help the Gamecube, so I think Nintendo will be a bit more sparse with them this time around. I don't think we'll see another price cut until next year, holiday 2014 at the earliest.

When GC was $199 the comp was $299

When GC was $149 the comp was $179-199

When GC was $99 the comp was $149-179

At any given point the comp was within $50-100

If Wii U can get down to $199 it would have a $200-300 advantage which is a very significant amount.

Also Iwata has stated they should have cut GC price to $99 earlier.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I can only assume that

* a price cut to 249.- respectively a Mario Kart 8 Bundle combined with
* a huge advertising campaign of the game, so that everyone from Seattle to Yokohama can see it

would help Nintendo to move some systems.

I had the opportunity to buy the Wii U Skylanders/Nintendoland bundle for $199 cdn ($189 us) & still chose to pass. Yes Nintendo needs to lower the price, but they need to make the Wii U more appealing, somehow.