By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - will Wii U officially become $199 this year?

zorg1000 said:
Wii U is currently struggling at its $299 price point, for $100-200 less u can get a PS3/360/Wii which have much bigger libraries and for $100-200 more u can get PS4/One which are much more powerful, have better 3rd party support, better online/mulitmedia features and all the hype in the world. Its kinda stuck in the middle, late adopters/casuals/families/people on tight budgets will choose 7th gen consoles and the early adopters/hardcore/techies/people with disposable income will choose PS4/One. One way to help fix this problem is to get the price down sooner rather than later. At $199 its much closer to 7th gen consoles and may be able to sway those who would regularly be late adopters and would be 40-50% the cost of Its fellow 8th gen consoles which could make it a nice secondary console to those who own them. The big problem is that the last time we heard from Nintendo, the Wii U was still selling at a loss meaning at $199 they would be losing alot of money. They have also stated that getting the manufacturing cost down was a big goal of theres so I wouldnt be surprised to see a redesign this year that is less expensive to manufacture. Im not sure what exactly they would have to do to accomplish this but I think a smaller/sleeker Gamepad that costs less to build would help alot, maybe about the size of the Vita. Lets say sometime in October they release the Wii U redesign bundled with Mario Kart 8 (will be about 6 months old by then) for $199, how well would this sell?

Wii U's price is fine right now.

Power means little in the grand scheme of things. You don't play "power"

Better third party support I can't argue with, but at least I find that most third party games are hugely overrated. Once you strip away the glammer and glitz of the graphics and attempt at story, the core gameplay I usually find is lacking.

Better online/multimedia, this may be as well, but you also have to pay for it.

Hype will die down eventually, as will their sales if they don't start releasing the games to keep them going.

Wii U is already $100 cheaper than its closest competitor, and comes with more durable hardware, utilizing controllers that many already own (Wiimote) as opposed to having to buy $50 controllers all over again, and also comes bundled with one of the best games ever made, and comes equipped with free online play, along with HD graphics that are "good enough"

The games are really what need to improve, or at least the quantity of good game. Right now, Wii U has some good games, and a few spectacular games, but it needs MORE of these to drive up its value. I think this year, starting with DKC, then with Bayonetta 2, X, Smash, Mario Kart, and Yoshi, Project Cars, Watch Dogs, and Dragon Quest X, this will begin to change.

Around the Network

I'd definitely snatch a Wii U up for $199.

That price would be tempting for me

199 is not what it needs. It just needs 250. 250 is what it should have been sold at out the gate. Same price as the wii. Come holiday, when it's 250, with smash, MK, and hopefully some other shit, you guys will see. YOU'LL ALL SEE. You bastards will be crying as the Wii U explodes like a shart up the sales chartz

Metallicube said:
zorg1000 said:
Wii U is currently struggling at its $299 price point, for $100-200 less u can get a PS3/360/Wii which have much bigger libraries and for $100-200 more u can get PS4/One which are much more powerful, have better 3rd party support, better online/mulitmedia features and all the hype in the world. Its kinda stuck in the middle, late adopters/casuals/families/people on tight budgets will choose 7th gen consoles and the early adopters/hardcore/techies/people with disposable income will choose PS4/One. One way to help fix this problem is to get the price down sooner rather than later. At $199 its much closer to 7th gen consoles and may be able to sway those who would regularly be late adopters and would be 40-50% the cost of Its fellow 8th gen consoles which could make it a nice secondary console to those who own them. The big problem is that the last time we heard from Nintendo, the Wii U was still selling at a loss meaning at $199 they would be losing alot of money. They have also stated that getting the manufacturing cost down was a big goal of theres so I wouldnt be surprised to see a redesign this year that is less expensive to manufacture. Im not sure what exactly they would have to do to accomplish this but I think a smaller/sleeker Gamepad that costs less to build would help alot, maybe about the size of the Vita. Lets say sometime in October they release the Wii U redesign bundled with Mario Kart 8 (will be about 6 months old by then) for $199, how well would this sell?

Wii U's price is fine right now.

Power means little in the grand scheme of things. You don't play "power"

Better third party support I can't argue with, but at least I find that most third party games are hugely overrated. Once you strip away the glammer and glitz of the graphics and attempt at story, the core gameplay I usually find is lacking.

Better online/multimedia, this may be as well, but you also have to pay for it.

Hype will die down eventually, as will their sales if they don't start releasing the games to keep them going.

Wii U is already $100 cheaper than its closest competitor, and comes with more durable hardware, utilizing controllers that many already own (Wiimote) as opposed to having to buy $50 controllers all over again, and also comes bundled with one of the best games ever made, and comes equipped with free online play, along with HD graphics that are "good enough"

The games are really what need to improve, or at least the quantity of good game. Right now, Wii U has some good games, and a few spectacular games, but it needs MORE of these to drive up its value. I think this year, starting with DKC, then with Bayonetta 2, X, Smash, Mario Kart, and Yoshi, Project Cars, Watch Dogs, and Dragon Quest X, this will begin to change.

U may not care about power and most 3rd party games but clearly the majority of gamers do care about those things and yes ur right that online costs on those systems but clearly millions of people think its worth the price for the best online experience.

hype/sales will die down but they certainly do have games coming. Infamous, Titanfall, Drive Club, Watch Dogs, Destiny, Dragon Age, Metal Gear Solid, The Order, Halo, Project Spark, MLB the Show, Kinect Sports Rivals, Thief are all coming this year and there are many I missed and more to be announced.

Dragon Quest X has been out in Japan for almost a year, its not a very relevant title in the west. Based off sales of 3rd party multiplats on Wii U its not likely Project Cars or Watch Dogs will sell much at all. Of course the Nintendo games will do well and cause spikes in sales but at $299 its really limiting its market to Nintendo fans.

I agree with u on many points, for me the price is fine and I couldnt care less about online so I would never pay for it and the graphics are plenty good enough for my tastes and this years line up looks great but for the mass market its too expensive and for the typical gamer it doesnt offer what there looking for in a primary console.

At $199 it could lure away people that are considering PS3/360/Wii and can be a great secondary console for PS4/One owners, in addition to Nintendo fans. Also with greater hardware sales will come greater software sales which is where Nintendo makes the most of its money.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

To be honest I think the system's goose is cooked pretty much either way. It's been a disaster for Nintendo from the day they unveiled it.

$199.99 and ditching or creating a smaller/cheaper version of the game pad would be probably their best play at this point, but $99.99 didn't save the GameCube, though it did provide a temporary boost for sure.

I think the larger problem is without a Wiimote like gimmick that creates an insane frenzy with consumers people simply don't want the "modern Nintendo console" (which basically means 3-5 really good Nintendo games per year + limited third party support + feature support such as online which tends to be behind the rest of the industry).

The only way to really change this is to have some kind of new miracle software title that drives a large number of systems to be sold, but that is also much easier said than done. 

MoHasanie said:
prayformojo said:
MoHasanie said:
$199 just a year after launch is embarrassing, but it might have to be done if sales drop to the same levels they did last year.

The Gamecube was $199.99 at launch.

Yikes, and it still sold that poorly :O . 

Not to mention that it had Mario / Luigi's Mansion / Zelda / Metroid / Smash Bros / Mario Party/ Pikmin / Mario Kart / Animal Crossing / Star Wars exclusives / Starfox and a bunch of other good titles in the 1st year and a half.  It was pretty clear after 2 years that the Gamecube would be a massive failure for Nintendo, atleast in terms of hardware sales.  They are lucky the base that did have them bought alot of 1st party software, because for as bad as the console sales were it still turned a profit.    I actually think its a miracle that Nintendo is at 5.3 million Wii U's sold right now, without most of their heavy hitters.  

Doubt it. They're not going to pull another 3DS here.

Soundwave said:

To be honest I think the system's goose is cooked pretty much either way. It's been a disaster for Nintendo from the day they unveiled it.

$199.99 and ditching or creating a smaller/cheaper version of the game pad would be probably their best play at this point, but $99.99 didn't save the GameCube, though it did provide a temporary boost for sure.

I think the larger problem is without a Wiimote like gimmick that creates an insane frenzy with consumers people simply don't want the "modern Nintendo console" (which basically means 3-5 really good Nintendo games per year + limited third party support + feature support such as online which tends to be behind the rest of the industry).

The only way to really change this is to have some kind of new miracle software title that drives a large number of systems to be sold, but that is also much easier said than done. 

Ur right about Gamecube but when it was $99 the competitors were at $149-$179, thats only $50-80 difference. If Wii U becomes $199 this year, thats a $200-300 difference

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

A very real possibility when the new SKU comes in using different internal hardware (solution to the existing component source issue)