By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - will Wii U officially become $199 this year?

I think it's too late for the Wii U to sell at PS4 or XB1 levels. Nintendo can only hope for steady sales just enough to make the system profitable as well as their 1st party software.

"¿Por qué justo a mí tenía que tocarme ser yo?"

Around the Network
Screamapillar said:
No, but $249 bundled with software is definitely a possibility. Nintendo should do a Mario Kart 8 bundle for $249 for the holidays.

This is the lowest price you might see this year.. Doubt they will bundle Mario Kart right off the bat unless it Is for 299. 

Nintendo is in this business to make money even if it means selling less volume than the competition.  What good is losing money on every system for them. Right now their royalties from 3rd party games is not enough (Sony can rely more on that, so they can risk a loss on the system itself). 

Nintendo is not going to drop the price of the hw and give away their newest released IP for free! 

It'd hurt them to take a loss but it'd hurt them even more if they carry on with the current sales.

Personally i would love it at that price. I'm already eager to get one. ^^

$99 and i'll buy it. I'm dead serious. Ditch the gamepad and that price could be realistic.

Around the Network

That price is ridiculous, 299 is an affordable price for a WiiU, price is no longer the concern of it against the other next gen consoles. 

I really begin to think as most threads suggested before, that people don't realize WiiU is a new "next-gen" console. Would've been better if they released it afterwards like the Wii. The image below proves it: Games with the "WiiU" logo only work with the WiiU handheld not the stand-alone console Wii. And this is in a Videogames shop.

i bought the deluxe for 170$ at a pawn shop.
the guy said name your price and i did he was like SOLD!

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
SnowPrince said:

That price is ridiculous, 299 is an affordable price for a WiiU, price is no longer the concern of it against the other next gen consoles. 

I really begin to think as most threads suggested before, that people don't realize WiiU is a new "next-gen" console. Would've been better if they released it afterwards like the Wii.

299 is not affordable. Wii U is barely superior to PS3 and costs almost as much as a PS4. You can't just say that Wii U is a full-blown next gen console. It's still inferior to PS360 in many important aspects, let alone PS4One. Just like the Wii, it's a crazy experiment, but unlike Wii, this one went wrong.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

g911turbo said:
Screamapillar said:
No, but $249 bundled with software is definitely a possibility. Nintendo should do a Mario Kart 8 bundle for $249 for the holidays.

This is the lowest price you might see this year.. Doubt they will bundle Mario Kart right off the bat unless it Is for 299. 

Nintendo is in this business to make money even if it means selling less volume than the competition.  What good is losing money on every system for them. Right now their royalties from 3rd party games is not enough (Sony can rely more on that, so they can risk a loss on the system itself). 

Nintendo is not going to drop the price of the hw and give away their newest released IP for free! 

Nintendo makes the majority of its money from 1st party software sales. The higher the install base the more likely people will pick up games like 2D/3D Mario, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Pikmin, Kirby, Wii Series, etc. 

If they wait til 2015/16 its probably that PS4/One will be $299 which puts Wii U in theexact same position its in now.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Its price isnt the problem, lack of games is

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling