By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why so many Wii U haters???

oniyide said:

doesnt matter if it was jan 2008 or 2012, fact is NOW we can see where those PS2 people went. PS3 and 360 were expensive. WIi U isnt even close by a long shot so again where are these Wii people? cause the price is not keeping them away if you think that you are fooling yourself.

Im not putting anything on you i want info, it will do considerably better? whats considerably better? give me numbers. cause you and I might have a difference of what considerably means. I dont want you looking for more excuses when the system doesnt move that much when these games released, like you were doing for Rayman, Pikmin, Sonic, 3d world...and whatever game you thought would help WIi U

It does matter if it's 2008 or 2012, because adoption takes time. Wii U has barely been out a year. $299 is outside the casual and lower income gamer's buying range.

And I was right about Pikmin 3 and 3D World boosting sales. I never said Rayman or Sonic would have a big impact.

Around the Network

I wouldn't day there are MANY haters, however there are a few.

It isn't hard spotting them when they start the same topic thread with a slightly different twist to it ever week lol.

Shadow1980 said:
oniyide said:

and i my semi educated guest is that it will sell in the ballpark of GC, PS3 never did as bad as WIi U so not sure why that is being brought up

I take it you didn't even bother reading the post I linked you to. Bringing up the PS3 is relevant because some people were calling it "the next GameCube" because it was trending behind the GC for a couple of years in America and Japan. Sure, it never did quite as bad as the Wii U, and it was facing different problems than the Wii U. Still, the point remains that it's still too early to call. Almost all predictions that are based on sales from the first few weeks, months, or even the first year end up falling flat. You can't assume that because it had a weak performance for almost all of 2013 that it will necessarily continue to do poorly. Of course, there's no reason to assume it won't continue to do poorly, either. There's just no way of knowing. I think it can potentially sell over 30 million lifetime, while others think it will sell under 20 million. We have about the same chance of being right. Just like we saw an unprecedented drop in post-holiday sales in early 2013, we could also see an unprecedented comeback. It'll probably never come close to NES or even SNES numbers, but N64 numbers are still possible at this point. Surprise comebacks have happened before and they can happen again. Again, "can," not "will."

was the PS3 ever tracking below GC? cause if it wasnt those people that were calling it the next GC was flat out wrong, but i do see your point. Personally I dont have that much faith in the Wii U that I did in PS3 when it was in a similar situation. Thats just my opinion, i could be wrong.

curl-6 said:
oniyide said:

doesnt matter if it was jan 2008 or 2012, fact is NOW we can see where those PS2 people went. PS3 and 360 were expensive. WIi U isnt even close by a long shot so again where are these Wii people? cause the price is not keeping them away if you think that you are fooling yourself.

Im not putting anything on you i want info, it will do considerably better? whats considerably better? give me numbers. cause you and I might have a difference of what considerably means. I dont want you looking for more excuses when the system doesnt move that much when these games released, like you were doing for Rayman, Pikmin, Sonic, 3d world...and whatever game you thought would help WIi U

It does matter if it's 2008 or 2012, because adoption takes time. Wii U has barely been out a year. $299 is outside the casual and lower income gamer's buying range.

And I was right about Pikmin 3 and 3D World boosting sales. I never said Rayman or Sonic would have a big impact.

but systems have been released at MUCH higher prices and have done much better than what Wii U has been doing. So how do you explain that? price cant be that much of a factor, if PS3 360 xbox1 PS4 are more expensive and have done way better. The only logical conclusion is people really dont want Wii U no matter the price.

We must have a different definition of boost, I dont consider a small up tick and sales followed by the system dropping back to what it was doing prior anything significant, but you know what you gotta take it how you can get it I guess. I dont think 3d world did much, i would give most credit to the holidays and ill stick by that considering that WIi U dropped back down to sub 150k right after the holidays

oniyide said:
curl-6 said:
oniyide said:

but systems have been released at MUCH higher prices and have done much better than what Wii U has been doing. So how do you explain that? price cant be that much of a factor, if PS3 360 xbox1 PS4 are more expensive and have done way better. The only logical conclusion is people really dont want Wii U no matter the price.

We must have a different definition of boost, I dont consider a small up tick and sales followed by the system dropping back to what it was doing prior anything significant, but you know what you gotta take it how you can get it I guess. I dont think 3d world did much, i would give most credit to the holidays and ill stick by that considering that WIi U dropped back down to sub 150k right after the holidays

Their problem is, the Wii U is targeting the kind of buyers who want to pay $250/$199 for a console. That's why Kart will only really have its full effect once it is joined by a price drop.

And Wii U at least has not dropped back to its abysmal Q2-Q3 2013 levels, nor should it in the foreseeable future.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Their problem is, the Wii U is targeting the kind of buyers who want to pay $250/$199 for a console. That's why Kart will only really have its full effect once it is joined by a price drop.

And Wii U at least has not dropped back to its abysmal Q2-Q3 2013 levels, nor should it in the foreseeable future.

I wouldn't count my chickens just yet, we're still in the january sales period with stores still running offers and people using up the vouchers/gift cards they received at christmas.

lucidium said:
curl-6 said:

I wouldn't count my chickens just yet, we're still in the january sales period with stores still running offers and people using up the vouchers/gift cards they received at christmas.

Time will tell. If I were Nintendo I would have had Tropical Freeze earlier in Feb to help maintain momentum. If they can pace games like Kart, Smash, X, and DK smartly through the year they could avoid the lulls they foolishly let happen last year.

1. No games until last Holiday period, a year long games drought, wow!
2. Nintendos online platform, accounts locked to hardware, only 1 3ds with a nnid, possibly also 1 wiiu
3. Gamepad screen is awful, it has a ac battery charger instead of usb, short battery life
4. Nintendo fans claiming "but PS4 and the xbone will bomb too, next gen is doomed!" and both of these systems come and break records and almost outsold the wii u LTD.
5. Nintendo's reliance on Mario, people wanna see new IPs

Turkish said:

It wasn't a year long. It was four months long. There was Monster Hunter and Need for Speed in March, then Pikmin 3 in July/August, then Wonderful 101, Splinter Cell, Sonic, Wind Waker HD...

Was it a problematic lull? Yes. But a year long is a big exaggeration.

curl-6 said:
Turkish said:

It wasn't a year long. It was four months long. There was Monster Hunter and Need for Speed in March, then Pikmin 3 in July/August, then Wonderful 101, Splinter Cell, Sonic, Wind Waker HD...

Was it a problematic lull? Yes. But a year long is a big exaggeration.

NFS and MH are just ports that people like me with 3DS and PS3 are not interested in becoz they already played them. Pikmin and W101 came out at the end of the summer, so just before the holiday. ~9-10 month software drought. (count december 2012 as well.)