By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What made you switch consoles?

vivster said:

Sounds like a happy end. What I would like to hear are people who switched from PS3 to X1 without going through 360 first. I heard that's a rare breed.

As for me. I got into gaming very late. I bought a N64 when the GC was already out. Then a GC when it was in its last stretches. I always admired my friend who had a PS2 with which he could play FF. That and Crash Bandicoot led me to go for PS3 as my only choice. Then of course it turned out that there was no Crash on PS3 and FF lost its esclusivity but I never looked back.  The first 3 games I played on my PS3 were FFX, X-2 and XII which would've never been possible on a 360.

Yeah, my first console was a Sega Genesis, I started playing it around 2000-2001, which was over a decade after its release. I got a PS1 in late 2002, which again was really late into its lifespan. I got the PS2 in late 2004- early 2005. I didn't catch up really until the PS3.

Around the Network

From Wii to PS3 because Nintendo, in my opinion, dropped the ball and failed to live to their promises. The PS3 didn't turn out to be what Sony promised, either, but they tried hard to make up for it, at least.

I had a big cell phone bill to pay at the time, and could not afford Xbox live anymore for a couple of months so I sold it. After I got back up on track I decided I wanted a bluray player for the time being and the ps3 was like $250. I only regret leaving my Halo 3 clan but at the time the reach beta was on and most of them did not like were the online was heading so we pretty much split the team up. Good memories on Halo 3 though, to this date I cannot find a game to replace the whole it left.

I started with PS1, then N64, then XBox. That was all because of my parents, I had no say in the matter when deciding which console to buy because I didn't really care as long as it had games.

Then I sold the XBox and got a PS2 because it had stopped working, then I sold my PS2 and got a Wii because I thought I had run out of games to play on PS2 (this was before I had decent internet connection and before my parents let me play M rated games) and because the Wii had enough games I wanted by that point (towards the end of 2010), then last year I got another PS2 to play some of the games I'd missed out on and replay my favorites.

Currently, I'm thinking about getting a PS4 and/or a 3DS because they're the two systems with the most games I'm interested in, and also trying out some PC gaming on the side because I finally have a PC that's semi-competent when it comes to playing games.

Final Fantasy VII, basically.

Before that, I was solidly in Nintendo's camp, even though I'd gotten bored with the SNES. There were far too many platformers and beat 'em ups for my taste and not enough Zelda and FF VI type experiences. When the Playstation 1 first came out, I'd drifted far enough away from gaming that it didn't really grab me.

Until I saw the FF VII commercial for the first time. Talk about jaw-dropping. FF VII had been my undisputed favorite game ever, so of course that was a BIG incentive to check out the PS1. After that was Final Fantasy Tactics, Suikoden I & II, Gran Turismo, and the games just kept coming. I will always consider the PS1 as my true awakening as a gaming enthusiast.

The PS2 was kind of a no-brainer. By the time I got one, it was already the champ. I got a DreamCast, too, and loved it, but it didn't have enough games to really threaten the PS2's prime position in front of the television.

The PC and MMOs stole me away at the start of last gen. I ignored consoles. When my best friend and MMO gaming buddy passed away, I didn't have the heart for any of the online games we'd played anymore. I looked into all three consoles from a fairly neutral perspective and--this is kind of embarrassing to say--The Last Guardian was one of the deciding factors in getting a PS3. Of course, Gran Turismo was the other big factor, so that's okay.

Around the Network

I am not much of a single console guy. I started with a Sega game gear and mega drive. When Sega abandoned the Saturn, i got a PS1. After that i adopted the dreamcast and the ps2, but i expanded to gamecube and xbox aswell. I was unsatisfied with Sony's growing arrogance and the fact that my ps2 broke andi had to get a new one.
With the ps3 beyond expensive, i decided to switch to the 360 to teach sony a lesson and cause many exclusive jrpgs were coming out for it.

First years it was ok, but then my 360 died and i had to pay the repair, microsoft kept trying to nicle and dime me and the exclusive support died up, while Sony kept growing it. This added to the arrogance and disdain shown by mcrosoft made me realise i was now on the wrong boat and that sony learned their lesson. This year i got me a PS3 and i almost completely ditched the 360. The wii and motion controls never interested me.
Next gen im sticking to ps4 as my main system and probably a Wii U for nintendo exclusives. I felt to badly mistreated by micosoft as a customer that i will never again buy a microsoft console.

I am a big RPG and Final Fantasy Fan. I jumped ship from N64 to PS2 because of FF X. I had a friend of mine who had a PS1. When FF VIII came out, I exchange my N64 with that friend of mine for about two months lol.

- Halo not expanding the direction I wanted

- Tiring of competitive online multiplayer

- Lack of Rare goodness beyond 2005...

- Stagnating third party offerings

Though as you can see each one of them could change any minute. If Wii U doesn't get sufficient third party support, the quality of Halo and potential Rare IP resurrections will decide whether I'll get an Xbox One or a gaming PC to complement the system. Assuming enough third party titles are worthwhile.

Paying for online/Red Ring of death/only shooters being released.

so yea. I went back to Nintendo this gen but we'll see how it goes.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~

Well, I started with an Atari 2600 but besides Pitfall2, Pengu and H.E.R.O (one of the greatest games to this day) I didn't become to attached.

After this I switched to Sega where I felt right at home. I was a hardcore fanboy and still am commited to their consoles.

When Dreamcast got cancelled, I started to look for my next console and it wasn't until I played Halo that I found an experience similar to what Sega would offer on a new console. Since then it has been all for XBox :).