By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What made you switch consoles?

Out of curiosity, I'd like to here people's stories on why they decided to switch console brands, if ever. I guess I'll begin.

I was the proud owner of a PS2, however when the PS3 was released I couldn't afford it, and after like two years and with the Xbox 360 arcade being only $200 and me being sick of PS2's hardware, I jumped into next gen.

It was a truly magnificent experience for me at the time, however looking back at it, the only 1st party games I played were Fable and The Lost Odyssey, the rest were pretty much third party games. But nyways, the best part of it was the fact all my friends at school had 360's, so we used to party chat and play Halo after school alot, and hell I even made friends from Xbox live. Around 9 months in, the Xbox got the RROD, so I ended up getting another 360 which ended up getting rrod after two months, but I did the towel fix for it to extend its life, which worked.

Shortly after Sony was hacked I visited my cousin's house who had a PS3, and had downloaded Infamous for free cause Sony felt bad or whatever. I decided to play it, and my god I was impressed by the game and when I found out it wasn't for Xbox I was a bit angry, so I decided to look into other Sony only games and made my mind up that I was going to get a PS3 someday when the price was much lower.

After awhile all my friends stopped playing online often, and what I learned is that without Xbox Live, Xbox didn't offer me anything I wanted. So I ended up quitting gaming all together, until last christmas where my GF bought me a PS3 that I asked for cause I wanted to play Infamous. Ironically enough tho, the first game I played was Uncharted 2 and the game simply blew me away. my favorite game of all time, along with KH. After playing UC, which I had more fun with than any Xbox exclusive I stocked up on other Sony first party games and overall in my opinion, Playstation 3's library is just more appealing to me and that's why I switched, the social elements of the Xbox 360 were fun, but Sony's first party was the deciding factor, and it's also the reason why I'm going with a PS4 soonly enough.

Anyways, why did you decide to switch consoles? 

Around the Network

let me guess...you went along with 'ps3 haz no gamez' for longer than it actually didnt have games?
I went PS2 > PSP > PS3 > vita
Next on the list will be PS4.
ive played the other systems but nothing really wow'd me enough to buy one....plus my trophies would be fragmented into achievements and whatever the nintendo equivalent is.

Because I want the best. Jumped from N64 to PS1 in early 1997. Got tired of not having games to play. Jumped from PS2 to Xbox 360 in 2007. 360 just seemed to do everything right. Jumped from DS to PSP in 2009 because it just offered the right kind of games for me at the time. Jumped from PSP to 3DS because now Nintendo offers the experiences that fit my tastes. Gonna jump from Xbox to PS4 this year depending on how things look.

Of course I still usually end up owning and enjoying the other consoles but in the end, the games I want to play is all that matters.

Sega's death made me jump from Dreamcast to PS2.

3rd party games made me jump from Wii to PS3.

piracy. by parents bought me a PS1 because games were like 1 buck. where you had to search very hard to even find a n64 game. i had an n64, but i bought a PS1 after a few years of having the n64, then i bought the ps2 for the same reason. i bought the ps3 because i wanted GoW3 and i love its exclusives.

Around the Network

Never really switched. Just expanded the family.

Graphic whoring made me jump from N64 to Dreamcast. Graphic whoring again made me jump from Dreamcast to Gamecube and Xbox.  Recently, Graphic whoring got me into Pc.  

I've switched allegiances a couple of times.

First switch Sega to Nintendo: I went from being a hardcore Sega fan during the Genesis/SNES era to full blown Nintendo fanboy once N64 launched. The reason for switching was simple. Mario 64. I came across a demo of it at a Toys R Us and I was immediately converted. That's how mind blowing that game was at the time of it's release. It literally swept away years of Sega loyalty in a matter of minutes. Mario 64 was probably the single biggest leap in game quality/innovation from one gen to the next (at launch) that I have ever seen, and to this day it is still one of my top 3 favourite games.

Second switch Nintendo to Xbox: This one happened last gen with the 360. I really enjoy online play (always been a bit of a closet PC gamer), and XBL on the 360 just absolutely demolished anything Nintendo could hope to offer at the time, and in fact, the XBL experience from 7-8 years ago is probably still better that any online offerings Nintendo has to this day, which is fairly pathetic for Nintendo.

I almost.....ALMOST switched to PS4 this gen. I couldn't pull the trigger, though. The launch lineup just doesn't have anything at all for me, even though the console itself seems like a better value than the One. I'll probably grab a PS4 next Christmas when there's some games I actually want to play, and then who knows, maybe I'll switch again.

snyps said:
Graphic whoring made me jump from N64 to Dreamcast. Graphic whoring again made me jump from Dreamcast to Gamecube and Xbox.

Yeah.  You like to watch.  You like them graphics don't you, whore?  You wanna play games?  You like it hardcore?

...uh, sorry.  Got carried away there. 

I had the PS1, then the PS2 and Xbox, then I got the Xbox 360, and I am now the very happy owner of a PlayStation 4.

I switched to PlayStation this time as my 360 literally put me off gaming. I am not a huge fan of shooters, I have never liked Halo, and I haven't bought a Call of Duty in many years, so Xbox didn't really have anything to offer me. I don't know why I didn't consider buying the PlayStation 3 instead, I just didn't.

When the next-gen consoles were announced and Microsoft came out with their horrendous policies, it was the final nail in the coffin I guess. Personally, I don't think they care about gaming and I don't see them being in it (gaming) for the long haul. I believe it is just a means to an end for them.

Sony won me over with their suite of first-party developers, Shuhei Yoshida who is brilliant! And Mark Cerny, who seems to be an actual genius. I also cannot wait to play my first inFamous game, my first Uncharted game! And I pray to the gaming gods that The Last of Us is ported to PS4.