By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much is the Wii U going to sell by the end of 2014?

How much is the Wii U going to have sold by the end of 2014?

8 million 46 10.50%

9 million 55 12.56%

10 million 140 31.96%

12 million 149 34.02%

OVER 9000!!! 20 4.57%

#WEkU GotS nO GaMeZ!! 25 5.71%

Total:435

Hard to say, with the baseline being so low in 2013, it won't be hard to improve by a fair margin yoy. The Wii was up about 50% in its second full year, once they got their supplies sorted but that was a whole other beast. But, seeing how low the baseline has been, a 50% increase doesn't seem at all unreasonable at this point, perhaps even a bit more considering that there are a couple of system sellers releasing and they will probably cut the price another 50$ in October or November, bringing it down to the Wii's original price point.
They will also keep on adding value through bundles through the year.

I'm guessing about 4.5-5 million sales for the year, which is 50-66% up yoy and lifetime sales between 9.5-10 million at year end 2014.

Oh, and games like Bayonetta 2 won't help much at all, I'll be shocked if it sells more than 300-400k lifetime. Below 300k would not surprise me one bit. X is a total gamble and can't be automatically relied upon to sell systems either. Wii Fit U will not be a factor.
That leaves Smash, MK, DK and possibly Hyrule Warriors, for Japan at least, to propel sales along with bundles, a price cut and advertising globally.

Those who expect 100-200 or even 300% yoy increases are out of their mind; some will argue, kind of like I did, that the extremely low baseline in 2013 will be easy to improve but I maintain that when a console manages to sell only 3 million or even less in a full calendar year and with no 8th gen competition until mid November, a price cut and a mainline Mario game for the holidays, the maximum potential sales are not very high; a software draught alone cannot explain such incredibly poor numbers, there is more to it than that.

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
anonymunchy said:
Roma said:
it will end at 15m units sold

Going to agree with this number right here, even though Europe is trailing a bit behind my expectations.

Up by over 200% YOY would be an incredible and unprecedented event. Both of you thought your predictions through beforehand? I mean anything's possible but yeah that seems high.

I expect an extreme marketing push from Nintendo this year. They dropped marketing completely after Pikmin, W101, Wii Fit U and Rayman got delayed, lets not talk too much about Aliens. Sales were so low last year it shouldn't be hard for Wii U to double or triple monthly sales.

When you compare release schedules, 200% increase YOY is not out of the question at all. I actually had a prediction of max 18mil a couple months back, but as I said, Europe is trailing behind.

10 million. It sold about 4 million after a year with a huge drought in the first half, selling 6 million in a year and a month and a half with no droughts shouldn't be too hard.

my mind says 9m but my heart 11.5m ;_;

10 - 11 million.

Around the Network

9-10M
Less than PS4 for sure, close race with X1.

Assuming they sold between 5.5 - 6 million by year end 2013 then I think they will sell 9.5- 10 mill by year end 2014- Not sure how many games they are going to release in 2014 but the games we are sure about are big ones- like DKTF and Mario Kart- are there any other 1st or 2nd party games coming out in 2014 that Nintendo has confirmed for 2014? (other than Hyrule Warriors?

PS anyone getting an error message getting on MII Verse/online on their Wi U today?

At the very least it should double next year whatever it ends at this year. So taking 5.5m as the end of 2013 total I would guess 11m is the low mark.

I may revisit this thread after the January Nintendo Direct. If they announce some new and interesting stuff for later in the year that can change things.

With what's already expected for 2014, I'd say the least it should have is 10 million. If Nintendo releases any other big titles in the holiday season, then sales could reasonably be above that.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

Dunban67 said:
Assuming they sold between 5.5 - 6 million by year end 2013 then I think they will sell 9.5- 10 mill by year end 2014- Not sure how many games they are going to release in 2014 but the games we are sure about are big ones- like DKTF and Mario Kart- are there any other 1st or 2nd party games coming out in 2014 that Nintendo has confirmed for 2014? (other than Hyrule Warriors?

PS anyone getting an error message getting on MII Verse/online on their Wi U today?

Smash Bros.

OT: 11 Million.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046