By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will the X1 ever be able to pass the Wii U?

superhippy420 said:
Its hard to say ever but there is zero chance in 2014. Xbone only outsold Wii U by 50k a few weeks after launch. Yes, I understand it was holiday season, but it was holiday season for everyone. On top of that with Nintendos massive 2014 lineup, and Microsofts lack of 2014 lineup, I think the real question needs to be is whether the PS4 or Wii U will be in the lead by the end of 2014. Thats a much tougher call.

Zero chance?? lol no. 360 in 2006 shipped 8.9m consoles. I'm not saying XB1 will do that, it'l likely be under that. But it has a much better launch period to offset that drop (3.5 - 4m shipped this year vs a meager 1.5m for 360).

We're all assuming WiiU will be up YoY (just like we assumed when it launched it'd be doing far far better than it is now) but nothing is guaranteed. It could be flat putting it at 8.5m for the year.

PS4 will pass it, there is no doubt about that. You're expecting PS4 to sell worse than PS3 and 360 in their first year if you don't think so.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
superhippy420 said:
Its hard to say ever but there is zero chance in 2014. Xbone only outsold Wii U by 50k a few weeks after launch. Yes, I understand it was holiday season, but it was holiday season for everyone. On top of that with Nintendos massive 2014 lineup, and Microsofts lack of 2014 lineup, I think the real question needs to be is whether the PS4 or Wii U will be in the lead by the end of 2014. Thats a much tougher call.

Microsoft's lack of a 2014 lineup? What do you call Halo, Titanfall, Quantum Break, and Sunset Overdrive, all of which have a planned 2014 release. Fable Legends might even make 2014, Lionhead hasn't given a launch window yet and it's been in development for quite awhile if job listings are any indication. And that's on top of a slew of other titles, exclusive (such as Kinect Sports Rivals) and multiplatform (several of which aren't coming to the Wii U, such as Tom Clancy's The Division and Destiny). It's a much stronger lineup than the Wii U had it's first year and I'd argue that it's stronger than the Wii U's 2014 lineup (which only includes 3 major releases, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, and Super Smash Bros, all of which are expected to sell below their predecessors).

You could argue WiiU is stronger because of those 3. Missing out Destiny, Division, MGS ect tho, that's what makes XB1 line up stronger. A fully fleshed out library (no matter where else you can get them) is far more tempting than just 3 games. Of course both have smaller games like X, Bayonetta, Garden Warfare and Project Spark ect. But those won't really shift many consoles.

I'm not sure, I'd like to think most people know better then to buy an Xbone (personal opinion), but the Wii U might not have much fight left, I just don't know.

spurgeonryan said:

Not unless it cracks the Japanese code.

So no.

Maybe if Microsoft immediately dumps the 360 like they did the original xbox.

agree? or what do you think mister/misses sales expert?

Theres naturally more demand in the west for an Xbox than a Nintendo console. The Xbone will pass the Wii U by the middle or end of summer. They don't need Japan to beat Nintendo. They never have and never will.

Xbox One America + EU sales > Wii U total sales by the end of 2014. You guys are insane if you think the Wii U is still going to be outselling the Xbox One.

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network
Seece said:
shikamaru317 said:
superhippy420 said:

Microsoft's lack of a 2014 lineup? What do you call Halo, Titanfall, Quantum Break, and Sunset Overdrive, all of which have a planned 2014 release. Fable Legends might even make 2014, Lionhead hasn't given a launch window yet and it's been in development for quite awhile if job listings are any indication. And that's on top of a slew of other titles, exclusive (such as Kinect Sports Rivals) and multiplatform (several of which aren't coming to the Wii U, such as Tom Clancy's The Division and Destiny). It's a much stronger lineup than the Wii U had it's first year and I'd argue that it's stronger than the Wii U's 2014 lineup (which only includes 3 major releases, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, and Super Smash Bros, all of which are expected to sell below their predecessors).

You could argue WiiU is stronger because of those 3. Missing out Destiny, Division, MGS ect tho, that's what makes XB1 line up stronger. A fully fleshed out library (no matter where else you can get them) is far more tempting than just 3 games. Of course both have smaller games like X, Bayonetta, Garden Warfare and Project Spark ect. But those won't really shift many consoles.

Is Halo really coming out in 2014? if it does then no doubt it will help but none of those other games are big console sellers.   New IP's never do that great, and Titanfall being on PC and 360 is going to kill their console sales (they are taking up half of the pre-orders).     Mario Kart,Smash Bros, and DK could all sell below their predecesors and will still be bigger then any of those games you listed.   SM3DW has been called a flop by a ton of people but is already at 1.3 million and is probebly already at 1.7 million including digital and unreleased sales figures.   The Division isnt even on the top 40 in terms of pre-sales and Tom Clancy games lately have all sold like garbage.  This new Splinter Cell has barely cracked 1.3 million.

superhippy420 said:
Seece said:
shikamaru317 said:
superhippy420 said:

Is Halo really coming out in 2014? if it does then no doubt it will help but none of those other games are big console sellers.   New IP's never do that great, and Titanfall being on PC and 360 is going to kill their console sales (they are taking up half of the pre-orders).     Mario Kart,Smash Bros, and DK could all sell below their predecesors and will still be bigger then any of those games you listed.   SM3DW has been called a flop by a ton of people but is already at 1.3 million and is probebly already at 1.7 million including digital and unreleased sales figures.   The Division isnt even on the top 40 in terms of pre-sales and Tom Clancy games lately have all sold like garbage.  This new Splinter Cell has barely cracked 1.3 million.

Assassins Creed? Uncharted? Gears of War? Some new IP sells very very well. I agree Quantum Break and Sunset are unlikely to be like that. I think even though the userbase will be split, Titanfall will still do very well on XB1 simply because it'll do well everywhere.

No comment on 3D World sales, I say wait for Nintendo financials for those. It isn't just the Division and Titanfall though is it? It's Thief, MGS, Destiny, Cyberpunk ect, we don't know what is going to be big and what isn't. What we do know is that WiiU isn't getting any of them.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
spurgeonryan said:

So no.

Theres naturally more demand in the west for an Xbox than a Nintendo console. The Xbone will pass the Wii U by the middle or end of summer. They don't need Japan to beat Nintendo. They never have and never will.

Is that really true though.  The 3DS is a Portable (which suppossedly doesnt sell as well as consoles in the US) and Nintendo (which isnt suppossed to be as popular as Microsoft) and it is still the top selling console in the US.   I'm not even saying that the Xbone / PS4 will do that bad in the US this year, but clearly once Nintendos big games are out, the demand for their consoles go way up.   They could have sold 130 million Wii's last gen but the support for the last couple of years was pretty lame, and it still sold 100m.

superhippy420 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
spurgeonryan said:

So no.

Is that really true though.  The 3DS is a Portable (which suppossedly doesnt sell as well as consoles in the US) and Nintendo (which isnt suppossed to be as popular as Microsoft) and it is still the top selling console in the US.   I'm not even saying that the Xbone / PS4 will do that bad in the US this year, but clearly once Nintendos big games are out, the demand for their consoles go way up.   They could have sold 130 million Wii's last gen but the support for the last couple of years was pretty lame, and it still sold 100m.

3DS hasn't been top selling system any year except this one, and won't be again. it manages about 3.5m a year which is lower than the PS3 average last gen, let alone 360 and Wii.

superhippy420 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
spurgeonryan said:

So no.

I've bolded the contradictory statements.

3DS is a handheld, not a console. The best selling console IS still the PS2 and the best selling handheld IS the DS.

PS3, PS4, PSV, Wii U, 3DS + 3DS XL Owner.

PlayStation Nation

NNID: aminryu1

I need to stop buying games...