By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What's the point of no return for WiiU?

What's the point of no return for WiiU?

When/if MK fails 121 35.07%

When/if Smash fails 64 18.55%

When/if a $100 cut fails 78 22.61%

Other 79 22.90%

Total:342

If there is no Fifa/Madden 15.. That would be the second year in the row.. Shattering the confidence in that target audience which will hurt incredibly while its already damaged by this year snub by EA

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

I would say after MK 8 and SSB U release, and it still doesn't sell more than 7 mil that year then there really is no saving it, because if it does bad in that time span, then think what will happen after that o_0

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

The point of no return is the point of no return? That's the best I got.

If the WiiU can't pull at least 10m in 2014 then I don't see it ever beating the Gamecube.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Why do users care about sales as long as you can play what you want. I think people should let market investors worry about who sales more? We are users not market investors. More consoles never equal better games.

Furthermore, MK8 and Smash Bros failure is not dictated by sales it's dictated by whether they are good games. How many crappy games have sold a crapload of units?

Around the Network
EricFabian said:

if we don't see a big boost in hw sales in its firsts weeks

thats already a given that that will happen. And people will make a million threads that week saying "ha! nintendomination has arrived." but just because there is a big boost doesnt mean anything. 50k to 150k is a 200% increase which is big. but 150k is weak. lets say it goes from 50k to 500k! Awesome! right? well... not if it goes back down to sub 100k levels. in order for mk8 to succeed in not dooming Wii U then Wii U needs a big boost relative to a console with decent sales AND it needs to sustain that boost and increase the base line to at least ~125k a week.

jrRodney said:
Why do users care about sales as long as you can play what you want. I think people should let market investors worry about who sales more? We are users not market investors. More consoles never equal better games.

Furthermore, MK8 and Smash Bros failure is not dictated by sales it's dictated by whether they are good games. How many crappy games have sold a crapload of units?

You're on the wrong website then.

Seece said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

It sold slightly more than the x1 for a week so thats an achievement... I think it will sell fine in 2014... 2013 didn't have any big system sellers apart from two mario games... But we will see

A) as ioi pointed out, console sales that close doesn't = a win for a system

B) was adjusted anyway, XB1 is ahead now

C) literally means nothing anyway that either console won that week ....

Yea but there are other issues around wiiU's first year performance as well... People can blame the large lack of advertisements (which they finally started around november/december), the lack of system sellers, the lack of an e3 show up, and overall lack of anything interesting apart from Mario 3d World... Games like Pikmen, Wonderful 101, lego city undercover and etc are niche games and majority of the quality games was on the 3ds

When Smash Bros comes out and if it fails to sell wiiUs, then without a doubt, its basically a failure in terms of sales, but if Smash Bros comes out and its a hit, then obviously the wiiU is probably gonna do well... Same goes for MK8... But we will see

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Seece said:
jrRodney said:

You're on the wrong website then.

Pretty much. I hate it when people say "Why do you care about sales?" Sales are how we measure a console's success. The more successful the console, the longer its lifespan, which equates to more games to play. 

i think you should put "if" instead of "when" in your poll options :P