By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Extreme Cold Continues In Northern United States

Boutros said:
Canada be laughing.

I literally came into this thread to post something like that.

Around the Network
Naum said:
And at the same time we northern europeans have the warmest winter in years.
Hell even some cherry trees are blosssoming and farmers have even picked up potatoes in their fields...

Fun fact: Romania and Bulgaria are currently colder than Sweden. Insane high-pressure ridges going on on the Northern Hemisphere.

There is another one on Asia: Anadyr and the Chukotka peninsula comfortably warmer than Manchuria.

I live in South-Western Ontario, Canada and it's currently -16 C with a wind chill of -22, It's going to drop below -20 tonight but this is one of the warmer days in the last few weeks.

It was 0`F here in Michigan (metro detroit area) this morning. Luckily it wasn't windy like usual. We got hit hard with snow a couple days ago and they are still plowing streets in my area. Yesterday was ridiculous lots of businesses were shut down because it was to dangerous to travel (highways weren't plowed). I saw quite a few accidents on my way to work... it baffles me how many people in Michigan don't know how to drive when road conditions are bad.

We're supposed to get a foot of snow sometime this weekend. Hopefully the roads get plowed, I swear the snow plowers around here are either undermanned or union.

Can't embed because iframe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=051ddIvQ2hI

Around the Network

I realize areas of Canada can certainly be colder. So can Siberia. That doesn't change the fact that for Minnesota (or anywhere in the continental US) this is extreme extreme cold. Very dangerous stuff, especially due to the 15-25 mph winds.

To the one who talked about the skyways…it really is pretty awesome. Personally, I only have like a 3 block walk to work from the train I ride, so I just deal with the cold for like 4 minutes…but I have already decided I'm just going to deal with the $15 cost to park in my building on Monday and skip the train ride.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

It's gotten below 40 F down here in the Swamps and I'm frigid.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Nintentacle said:
Global warming everyone...

That's not how climate change works. It's called "climate change", not "weather change". The world is very gradually heating up by just percents of degrees, but that is in fact having devastating effects on droughts and melting polar ice. Having severe cold WEATHER streaks does not mean "Hey everyone, see Global Warming was a myth", it actually confirms that climate change, to a warming planet, is real. Why? Because the gradual warming of the planet over time is causing more and more hectic and erratic weather around the world, as a side result. It's effecting all of the natural planetary systems, and will result in more and more huge hurricanes and mega-storms and things of this nature. That's just how shit works. Science.

Its cold here in florida too.

I dont buy the global warming/climate change/ whatever name helps push an agenda hoax. Never have.

DevilRising said:
Nintentacle said:
Global warming everyone...

That's not how climate change works. It's called "climate change", not "weather change". The world is very gradually heating up by just percents of degrees, but that is in fact having devastating effects on droughts and melting polar ice. Having severe cold WEATHER streaks does not mean "Hey everyone, see Global Warming was a myth", it actually confirms that climate change, to a warming planet, is real. Why? Because the gradual warming of the planet over time is causing more and more hectic and erratic weather around the world, as a side result. It's effecting all of the natural planetary systems, and will result in more and more huge hurricanes and mega-storms and things of this nature. That's just how shit works. Science.

I'm sorry, but how can you honestly believe what you just said? Hey guys, because our planet is warming, its actually causing cooling to colder than it has EVER been in 125 years of recorded history right now.

I realize warming may be the cause of erratic weather (more powerful winter storms, hurricanes, or other random stuff), but it simply makes no sense why it would lead to temps actually being able to become cooler than ever. Unless you are suggesting that this would have broke the records by 5 degrees if it happened 100 years ago?

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.