By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Extreme Cold Continues In Northern United States

McDonaldsGuy said:
whatever said:
I had to go clear 15 inches of snow in -15 degrees F wind chills today (Boston area). Took about 2 hours. My beard had icicles.

How do people live like that? I have lived in SoCal my whole life and have never been in snow. The coldest is like 25 degrees for a bit. It hits 40 degrees and I am wearing sweaters like crazy! And then you have to deal with 15 inches of snow and -15 degrees? Do you just get used to it?

Mainly you just stay inside most of the time.  But yes, your body definitely adjusts.  A 50 degree in the fall (coming out of summer) feels cold on you put on a sweater.   A 50 degree day in the spring (coming out of winter) feels pretty warm and you'll see people in short sleeve shirts.

As for the snow, it can be a pain.  But I grew up with it and there is nothing better as a kid.  I would go sledding for hours.  My kids were out for a while today, but it was too cold to stay out that long.  I wouldn't mind living in SoCal, but all the family is here and I would miss the snow after a while.

Around the Network
Baalzamon said:

Depends on the year, and where you are. We've had large snowstorms as early as October (specifically a giant 30" statewide blizzard in 1992 on Halloween), and 20" blizzards as late as early May. Last year lasted from November into early May so about 6 months (but on average, I would say in MN expect Nov-Mar...5 months...to at least have snow...they all average over 7.5" per month).

Here in central massachusetts we don't get as cold, but usually have more snow.  The storms redevelop over the ocean and strengthen.  It just depends on how many of these storms we get.  Some years we'll only get 30 inches or so.   Other years it can go over 120 inches.  So far we are about average this year, but have a long way to go.

whatever said:
Baalzamon said:

Depends on the year, and where you are. We've had large snowstorms as early as October (specifically a giant 30" statewide blizzard in 1992 on Halloween), and 20" blizzards as late as early May. Last year lasted from November into early May so about 6 months (but on average, I would say in MN expect Nov-Mar...5 months...to at least have snow...they all average over 7.5" per month).

Here in central massachusetts we don't get as cold, but usually have more snow.  The storms redevelop over the ocean and strengthen.  It just depends on how many of these storms we get.  Some years we'll only get 30 inches or so.   Other years it can go over 120 inches.  So far we are about average this year, but have a long way to go.

Yea, we'll get about 20 in our lowest years to about 85 in our highest (last year was nearly or was the highest). A little further south (towards the metro area) has more in the 90-100 range for their max, but probably a little less yet for their minimum. They also average about 50 instead of 45. We are at like 24" so far this year which is a little above average.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Baalzamon said:
DevilRising said:
Nintentacle said:
Global warming everyone...

That's not how climate change works. It's called "climate change", not "weather change". The world is very gradually heating up by just percents of degrees, but that is in fact having devastating effects on droughts and melting polar ice. Having severe cold WEATHER streaks does not mean "Hey everyone, see Global Warming was a myth", it actually confirms that climate change, to a warming planet, is real. Why? Because the gradual warming of the planet over time is causing more and more hectic and erratic weather around the world, as a side result. It's effecting all of the natural planetary systems, and will result in more and more huge hurricanes and mega-storms and things of this nature. That's just how shit works. Science.

I'm sorry, but how can you honestly believe what you just said? Hey guys, because our planet is warming, its actually causing cooling to colder than it has EVER been in 125 years of recorded history right now.

I realize warming may be the cause of erratic weather (more powerful winter storms, hurricanes, or other random stuff), but it simply makes no sense why it would lead to temps actually being able to become cooler than ever. Unless you are suggesting that this would have broke the records by 5 degrees if it happened 100 years ago?

Did you miss the part about much of Europe having an insanely warm winter?  You yourself pointed out that the unusual cold here in Minnesota was due to Arctic patterns pushing further south than normal.  One could surmise that the whole system is centering on a different part of the globe than normal this year (closer to us, further from Europe) but no it's obviously just global warming is a lie. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I can't fucking stand this weather because I have seasonal depression. The sooner we get back to 70, the better.

Around the Network

Closer to the original topic, I'm surprised you didn't mention that metric readers should multiply the inches by about 2.5 (two and a half) to approximate centimeters.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

It's pretty bad here in Toronto as well. It went up to -30 in the past couple days.

Oops. Forgot about cm. Ironic since i think inches is dumb.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

its -23 Right now in Northern Maine, WITHOUT windchill. Should hit -45 to -50 windchill tonight. its rediculous.

...uhh...ill just put my favorite quote of all time here.

"Welcome to Pain, the second of three...You have dealt the first...now deal with me!!"

My car couldnt start in the morning because I needed jumper cables, wasn't mad tho...got me a day off work! woooo