By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are the PS+ "free games" the crack that will bring down the industry?

Augen said:
If games always stayed at $60 for years with no other options of acquiring like PS+ or renting them then I would simply own a lot less games. If anything price drops and these services have made me play and spend more on games.

I just wonder why one other company does not adopt this model and keeps the prices high. What we have here is either a genious' plan for turning profits in, or an attempt at some quick cash that will lead to a vicious circle and widen the black hole (as I have seen put here).

The thing is, if it turns out to be successfull, more companies will be lead to it due to competition (rather than potential profit). All then would enter the downward spiral and - subsequently - collapse.

It's a scenario. A prediction. I do not say it's the inevitable outcome.

This, I stole from grandpa...It's called soap.

Around the Network

always amusing how a persons viewpoint changes completely depending on topic.

You go into a topic that asks "is PS+ worth it, ect" and 100% of playstation fanboys talk about how amazing every game is and how its the best deal in the world and so on and so forth.

Yet now in this topic you have those same fanboys downplaying every game available as either not that good or super old and so on.

kabamarutr said:

Now you are jumping into conclusions. For me, the only title to be acquired day-1 is Dark Souls 2. Until then and hence forward, I have a big PS+ backlog to spend time with, so I won't be buying anything else, anytime soon. I can't think how that doesn't hurt the industry.

I don't think you'll be buying anything because nothing releasing in the near future grabs your attention.

Eitherway, your money and many others went to paying publishers to put their games on PS+. When games come out that actually interest you and aren't on PS+, you will likely buy them. The free games won't always be what you're looking for.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

kabamarutr said:

Each and every month, PS+ offers several games to its subscribers for no extra cost. Some of them are AAA titles, heavy games that (should) sell many pieces day-one.

Now let's put the pieces together: A patient gamer does not have to buy every title day-1. All he/she has to do, is wait several months and play it for free. For a meager 50 bucks you get a full library and a backlog that will keep you from buying new games every couple of months. Exception to the above, are personal favourites which we all need to get as soon as possible.

The question now stands. Out of those 50 bucks what profit does Sony make? Even more so, what does the game developper/publisher get out of it. If the situation described above becomes trend, should that not mean that devs will earn significantly less money? That they will reduce production values to meet decreased income? Sony will perhaps need to spend more to acquire those games for PS+, reducing the quality of the games offered or even reducing the quality of the services.

All things considered, if devs and publishers find console market unrewarding, should they not move to other gaming markets like tablets and smartphones? Devs that now bring us diamonds like Bioshock:Infinite and Brothers: A tale of two sons, will be instead making variation of Bejewelled?

Most people get the games day one. This isn't a problem. They usually get put on PS+ months after ther devs aren't profiting. And one more thing, do you think any party would agree to this if they WEREN'T profiting? 

kabamarutr said:
vivster said:
kabamarutr said:
vivster said:
I'm glad to see all your optimism about this. With all these great games for free I'm worried that Sony will not get enough revenue out of it and it will become another money black hole. I'm really afraid that during this cycle Sony will have to put older or less popular games on plus.

Wink-wink, nudge-nudge!

...and it will be hard to backtrack, once they've spoilt users thusly.

Yes, exactly that spoiling is never good. Gamers are spoiled by a lot of things and they react very aggressively if someone takes that away. Take Games with Gold. It's pretty much a laughing stock, not because the games are bad but because Sony spoiled everyone with fresh and acclaimed games.

Usually there are giant backlashes from the gamer community if a company decides to take just a tiny bit away or decides to charge a cent more for something. Because gamers are entitled little shits this could get dangerous for Sony.

Every action has a reaction. I see that the PS3 model of free giving is not going to continue to PS4 due to the sheer lack of games to give for free.

I don't think there will be a lack of good games for PS4+. With KZ, Knack, Driveclub and Infamous there will be enough high profile first party games in the first half they could give away for the next holidays. Giving away first party should eat a lot less of their profit since they don't have to pay off the studios. And there are always high profile indie games to give away.

They should be able to give away a AAA game at least every other month and  cool indie games will fill the rest.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
It already brought down the industry, it justified a subscription for online multiplayer.....something you guys honorably stood against.....or used to.

People had a choice. With Microsoft you had no choice. Sony said since the numbers for Plus were so high we'll slip multiplayer in there to ensure that the numbers grow further. Hate to say it but when you have greedy sons of bitches like Microsoft in the industry if you feel the need to survive you'll copy the tactics of the devil himself to survive sometimes.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
It already brought down the industry, it justified a subscription for online multiplayer.....something you guys honorably stood against.....or used to.

People had a choice. With Microsoft you had no choice. Sony said since the numbers for Plus were so high we'll slip multiplayer in there to ensure that the numbers grow further. Hate to say it but when you have greedy sons of bitches like Microsoft in the industry if you feel the need to survive you'll copy the tactics of the devil himself to survive sometimes.

"Had" being the operative word. Please tell me you don't believe that PR bs that PS Plus was so high on its own. In fact I would venture to say the opposite, as subscriptions are or used to be against your peoples culture. Online multiplayer tied to PS Plus ensures its success where PS3 adoption rates failed.

You seriously are not making Sony out as the poor victim to justify their practices.....same goes with their 3rd party exclusives. When Sony does it there is always a justification right? That is a rhetorical question.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

kabamarutr said:
Augen said:
If games always stayed at $60 for years with no other options of acquiring like PS+ or renting them then I would simply own a lot less games. If anything price drops and these services have made me play and spend more on games.

I just wonder why one other company does not adopt this model and keeps the prices high. What we have here is either a genious' plan for turning profits in, or an attempt at some quick cash that will lead to a vicious circle and widen the black hole (as I have seen put here).

The thing is, if it turns out to be successfull, more companies will be lead to it due to competition (rather than potential profit). All then would enter the downward spiral and - subsequently - collapse.

It's a scenario. A prediction. I do not say it's the inevitable outcome.

Well, Nintendo sort of does do this. Many of their games stay at day one price for years. Of course, Nintendo has the advantage of making many truly great games with replayability.  I think others would like to mimic this, but without that Nintendo touch you'd just see game die quick and have no second wind via price drops or PS+ type service. 

I am the person in the op. I dont buy any games now. I have so many unfinished PS+ games and get more free eveymonth. I worry about the model but it doesnt stop me.

sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:

"Had" being the operative word. Please tell me you don't believe that PR bs that PS Plus was so high on its own. In fact I would venture to say the opposite, as subscriptions are or used to be against your peoples culture. Online multiplayer tied to PS Plus ensures its success where PS3 adoption rates failed.

You seriously are not making Sony out as the poor victim to justify their practices.....same goes with their 3rd party exclusives. When Sony does it there is always a justification right? That is a rhetorical question.

If Microsoft didn't agree with the Buzz and consumer satisfaction they wouldn't have created Games for Gold. Microsoft bases their decisions on what they take from Sony on consumer and industry satisfaction, just like Blu Ray. They were the main ones trying to kill of Blu Ray though weren't they?

I am not making Sony into any victim. I said they gave the devil his due by following them. Microsoft might not be the most consumer-friendly company but they know how to hold a party and that party is definitely not free. Sony wants those profits because Xbox Live is a pure profit venture. Once the first couple years go by and the profit is locked in all the money that Sony lost might get padded out by it. Think about it. All the risk Sony has taken might get padded out by it, so in the end you can understand why they copied Microsoft. As I said, give the devil his due.