By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are the PS+ "free games" the crack that will bring down the industry?

This form of subscription will have ads in the future.. Say every time you start up a PS+ game or between loading.. If you want an ad free version buy the game.. I have no doubt this will happen

-edit- also with gaikai

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

I kinda agree with Degausser's reply. I remember when renting was going to destroy the industry. It never happened. When movies finally reached the rental phase, they had already made their money in theaters and eventually, it was just easier to buy (or torrent) a movie than to rent it. That industry never collapsed.

When it comes to gaming, you were usually able to rent a game at the same time it released in retail. I used to do it, especially in the 90's. Didin't stop those that wanted it from buying. Nintendo at one time was vehemently opposed to gaming rentals. Didn't kill the industry.

By the time a game comes to Playstation Plus (or Games For/With Gold or whatever it's called), the spotlight will be off of them. I wouldn't wait months to buy a game that might someday be free. I get what I want. To date, the only "free" game I've ever downloaded was Crackdown and I haven't even played it.

Like anything else, people will pay for what they want. When that free movie comes to Spike TV or USA, it hurts the film industry no more than "free" games hurt the gaming industry--unless it cuts into your gaming time.

Now that the fanboy virus has been successfully healed from this thread, we can go on.

Adressing the most recent posters, I'd like them to think ahead into the future. Sure, we all like the situation as it is, given free games and stuff, but it is never wrong to question a situation and to set considerations.

Nothing is ever, truly free. Repercussions are always to be expected as our actions send silent vibrations into the future - and alter it. I detect the danger of production values getting lower resulting in quality getting reduced. We cannot safely get examples from similar services, as people suggested, because none of those has been around long enough to show consequence.

And that is, all that it is, actually. Just a thought; a rather pessimistic scope into the future, of what this situation is going to evolve to. There is no need to feel threatened (some did) or result to aggression (some others did, lol).

Just ponder the question. There is no harm about it.

This, I stole from grandpa...It's called soap.

kabamarutr said:
platformmaster918 said:
Devs agree to it so it must be profitable...

Yes, they agree, since it helps keep their games in the market for a little more time. Maybe earn them a couple of bucks through DLCs. But what will they think if it starts "cutting" off them some day-1 sales?

I guess it hasn't because it's been years and it still hasn't given any a sour taste.  Also Sony's strategy is smart.  They normally give away a game like BF3, SR3, or Borderlands right before the sequel comes out to build some interest for said sequel.  It gives a ton of people a taste of the series and even if 90% of the newcomers don't like it you're getting a good boost.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

platformmaster918 said:
kabamarutr said:
platformmaster918 said:
Devs agree to it so it must be profitable...

Yes, they agree, since it helps keep their games in the market for a little more time. Maybe earn them a couple of bucks through DLCs. But what will they think if it starts "cutting" off them some day-1 sales?

I guess it hasn't because it's been years and it still hasn't given any a sour taste.  Also Sony's strategy is smart.  They normally give away a game like BF3, SR3, or Borderlands right before the sequel comes out to build some interest for said sequel.  It gives a ton of people a taste of the series and even if 90% of the newcomers don't like it you're getting a good boost.

So, what you say is that it can't happen?

Around the Network

Let's pretend you dont pay for PS+ until a game you want is offered... you buy PS+ and have have access to that game for the period of time you subscribed for.

You are then, renting an old game for the sake of paying less despite said game being available, second hand or through standard rental services for cheaper.

The thread makes no sense.
The games are not free, you are paying to rent them, it is a rental services nothing more nothing less.

lucidium said:
Let's pretend you dont pay for PS+ until a game you want is offered... you buy PS+ and have have access to that game for the period of time you subscribed for.

You are then, renting an old game for the sake of paying less despite said game being available, second hand or through standard rental services for cheaper.

The thread makes no sense.
The games are not free, you are paying to rent them, it is a rental services nothing more nothing less.

Or, we may not pretend and consider real, actual ways to use the service. Try not pretending, then the thread will make sense to you.

Since we can now take not pretending, as the status quo, we can consider a person that pays for the annual subscription (the 50$ mentioned, time and again). He or she gets 13 games every month for every platform the service applies to. That makes it roughly 150 games per year, most of them being games several months old and of great reputation and value, like RDR, ACIII and Uncharted 3. 

Now this person starts thinking: "why the heck should I buy Black Flag, since it most likely hit PS+ in a few months from now? Why not wait to get it for free?" Should it happen, wouldn't that hurt Black Flag sales? 

Now let's take it a step forwards... PS4 does not have a strong games library, through which one might choose the next PS+ "free" game. What would that be in six months from now, given the fact that one game is being offered each month? Could it be Killzone Shadowfall? Possibly. So, the person above gets to keep his/her subscription and avoid buying any game he can resist not to. 

To conclude, a potential buyer of Black Flag, or Killzone, or whatever is lost. The profit made through him is instead substituted by what percentage of the 50$ subscription applies to each of the games above. If more and more people act thusly, will it not hurt the industry in the long term and developpers mostly?

I hope it makes sense now. I guess it was soundly described in the first place, but I also guess you wanted to skip it all. All the arguments, for or against, all the replies, just to post your off-topic agenda of PS+ games not being truly free, but instead rented, old games one could get otherwise.

It won't bring down the industry.

I know there were a few overly thought out theories as to why it could, but rentals say no. Used games say no.

Often times, the PSN+ games that show up are ones that were overlooked upon release and giving free access to subscribers means these games get a second chance to be played. If said game has any appeal, the player now has that developer/franchise on the map the next time they release something.

Similarly, place a game on the PSN+ instant library list that has an upcoming sequel and the developer just got PR and marketing for their upcoming game.

People should take a step back and think of how the free to play model can be used. You can't just think in terms that support one particular argument or point of view. There is an upside to everything.

SCE has already been experimenting with games like Warframe and Blacklight that are free to play with in game purchases.

Games that are made available on PSN+ can similarly offer in game purchases or DLC.

greenmedic88 said:
It won't bring down the industry.

I know there were a few overly thought out theories as to why it could, but rentals say no. Used games say no.

Often times, the PSN+ games that show up are ones that were overlooked upon release and giving free access to subscribers means these games get a second chance to be played. If said game has any appeal, the player now has that developer/franchise on the map the next time they release something.

Similarly, place a game on the PSN+ instant library list that has an upcoming sequel and the developer just got PR and marketing for their upcoming game.

People should take a step back and think of how the free to play model can be used. You can't just think in terms that support one particular argument or point of view. There is an upside to everything.

SCE has already been experimenting with games like Warframe and Blacklight that are free to play with in game purchases.

Games that are made available on PSN+ can similarly offer in game purchases or DLC.

You have points, that's true. What I try to do here is pose a hypothesis and set some considerations to be pondered and analyzed. I think the discussion so far fairs well and - with the exception of some cases - is conducted on a very good level.

Probably. We're already seeing that the music and TV industry have been murdered by the likes of Netflix and Spotify.