By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are the PS+ "free games" the crack that will bring down the industry?

i can only speak for myself but...

ps+ has not stopped me from buying a game i really want day-1.

ps+ has not stopped me from buying games (if anything i buy more and digitally due to the awesome ps+ discounts).

...for me, my spending is about the same but i'm getting more games for my money. i think i'm buying more games at a cheaper cost overall (and playing some of the free ones) and overall playing more games. BUT,. when a game is bad i don't give it much of a chance. i used to play everything i bought out of principal even if it wasn't a great game. now if it is only mediocre i just move on to the next game.

Around the Network

Am I the only one tempted to buy the sequel after having played the first game on psplus.

Or buying games with the amazing discounts ?

I feel like psplus makes people buy more, as they can play games they wouldn't havee bought otherwise, wich makes them discover new genres or series.

on the contrary. because of ps+, i played some of the games that I would never pick up and I loved them. I may probably buy one of the sequels when they release. I'd say it's more helping than damaging the industry.

green_sky said:
kabamarutr said: If one does not buy the game at 50$ (initial price), but instead gets it at 5$, or for free, would that not hurt the dev economically in the long term?

I am not sure if this or steam sales will crack the industry but you can't ignore the fact that how low the profit margins must be with these ps plus freebies. I mean for a smaller dev to get exposure makes sense but giving away one of the biggest games of 2013, just few months after it came out. That really doesn't inspire confidence in the product. 

People always love to resist whenever someone brings negative news for the industry unless that said news is related to one particular company. The company that manages to sell their products at close to full price for years.  Anecdotal evidence but i've seen people on forums saying things like i'll wait for the game to come to plus. Unless it is a big game that they just can't wait to play (GTA5, etc) most would be okay waiting out a bit. It must factor into consumer's buying decisions, given the fact that most gamers have some kind of backlog already. 

Heck i paid $15 for a new copy of Bioshock Infinite (PS3) and i feel that i paid too much now. PS Plus is excellent for the consumer but if you are a publisher, it really is diminishing the value of software. It's magical how razor thin the profit margins are getting for companies. Thus, they want a constant stream of dlc and microtransactions for the people that bought their game. 

Cheers. 

I'm glad it's getting through to people. 

Also I added the "crack" thing to add a bit of drama. Heck! I should have opted to attack a company instead and rouse some fanboy ire.

What you say in bold is indeed a fact. How come they don't need to offer similar services. How come they don't even lower their prices a lot? PS+ freebies are great for me and any other gamer, but there is a chance that they could hurt the industry in the long term.

And that chance is portrayed here.

This, I stole from grandpa...It's called soap.

While hyped games won´t be strongly affected I think that the more niche games will be. To be honest I prefer owning my games and beeing able to play them without having to bother if I have an internet connection or not (especially problemtic for handhels).

Around the Network
Viktor said:
While hyped games won´t be strongly affected I think that the more niche games will be. To be honest I prefer owning my games and beeing able to play them without having to bother if I have an internet connection or not (especially problemtic for handhels).

You have a point. Indies will be most affected as well. Though an internet connection is not required to play, I think. Just an active subscription.

Viktor said:

Agreed.

I think agrecive promotions like Steam does is a more health solution. Even if it trains people to buy only during sales.

However PSN+ was built to save Sony from their money Black Hole that was free multplay and apps.

OT: I think PSN+ on PS3 wasn´t a risk to the industry, it´s still a very small user base. And I think publishers and developers (indi games) could choose not to participate. It was late in the cycle and there was just so many games to give for free.

Now with the PS4 and XOne it´s kind of hard to make any prediction.

I'm glad to see all your optimism about this. With all these great games for free I'm worried that Sony will not get enough revenue out of it and it will become another money black hole. I'm really afraid that during this cycle Sony will have to put older or less popular games on plus.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

kabamarutr said:
Viktor said:

You have a point. Indies will be most affected as well. Though an internet connection is not required to play, I think. Just an active subscription.

Don´t know if it is still this way, but when I had PS+ a while back, I had to be online to start a PS+ game on PSV, unless I didn´t have a connection the game wouldn´t start. I think you need the internet connection to log-in into your PS+ account only after that your already downloaded PS+ games work/can be started.

vivster said:
I'm glad to see all your optimism about this. With all these great games for free I'm worried that Sony will not get enough revenue out of it and it will become another money black hole. I'm really afraid that during this cycle Sony will have to put older or less popular games on plus.

Wink-wink, nudge-nudge!

...and it will be hard to backtrack, once they've spoilt users thusly.