By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 Will Probably Outsell Wii U by Spring Globally - Michael Pachter

Max King of the Wild said:
out of that nonsensical post you didnt once explain my question. all you were able to do is say ignorant a whole bunch of times (ironic). I am taking into consideration those games. Those games can only do so much. Hence I said 900k for the quarter instead of 300k. Thats a 200% increase yoy which is veryimpressive and hardly ever done. What you are failing to dois take into consideration the Wii Us pathetic performance last year and for some reason expect consumers to all of a sudden jump on board

Why I should explain your own quesitons? You ask questions that yourself can't understand?

If you took those games into consideration then your estimate is a low ball... They can do much and you sadly low ball them, Wii U has potential to sell 300K in January thanks to well established game library and it will go above that as further some 3rd party games arrive to increase its appeal and then we have exclusive Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze which will push units since it will boast Wii U's appeal.

You expect 900K while I expect 1.2 million for Q1 2014... DIdn't Sony managed 200% YOY increase with PlayStation 3?

I took all variables, factors and events into consideration, I have taken last years performance of the Wii U into consideration otherwise my estimation would not be correct. I am not going to make rookie mistakes like you do and you have done in here... Last's years performance is not this years performance as the situation changed which is proven by holiday sales which don't represent sales in future yet they indicate that consumers interest for the Wii U has increased as games were released. Otherwise, if consumers interest stayed the same then Wii U would not have performed in holidays.

Past is not the future or otherwise PlayStation 3 would still be a sitting duck nor would Wii sold better than Gamecube if the past meant what the future is thus paradox.

There is no "some reason", there is reason will it be games, price/affordability, usability, design, preference and/or mere nostalgia for its franchises...

People all of the sudden jumped aboard once PlayStation 3 was affordable enough, which it was its flaw.

Wii U's flaw that it did not had great library ultil recently... Now people are jumping on board.

Around the Network
Kane1389 said:

But DUDE !!! More games! Donkey Kong! Mario Kart! Magic !!!

And apparently Nintendos 2nd christmas immediatly after Christmas season! Sales wont drop from last quarter! Why put the marketing all in 4th quarter when you can achieve just as good of sales in the 1st!

gcube2000 said:
well pachter forgot next year smash bros, mario kart, donkey kong, X, Hyrule Warriors, bayonetta 2, and more is coming out next year for wii u

Mario is dying: he caught 3 different deadly STDs doing unprotected pedosex with underage mushrooms, turtles and Ninty gamers.
Poor Kong was a much more respectable dude, but he slipped on a banana peel and fell on bayonetta, disemboweling himself.

So Ninty is D0M3D.
Pachter, being teh Analyst God he is, correctly predicted all this. Dropping that banana peel in the right place at the right time helped a little, admittedly, but hey, true gods don't just watch the future coming, they shape it too!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

A reasonable estimate for WiiU weekly sales during Q1 should be somewhere between 75 000 and 100 000 systems. In such a scenario we would see 900 000-1,2 million systems sold in Q1 and atleast an equal amount in Q2 and Q3. If so, all in all it's quite a remarkable achievement compared to last years sales during the same time period.

My estimate for 2014 is as followed;

Q1: 0.9-1.2 million
Q2: 0,9-1.2 million
Q3: 0,9-1.2 million
Q4: 2,7-3,6 million

This will put WiiU total sales at around 10,6-12,4 million systems at the end of this year. I believe that to be enough to fend off XboxOne, but PS4 will drive past WiiU sometime in Q3 and never look back.

Lets say VGC has severly undertracked Wii U in 4th quarter. (unlikely being we get weekly japanese sales and VGC overtracked Wii U in oct and Nov in US)... but lets throw out any logic and say its completely undertracked. VGC says ~1.5m right now so lets put it up to 2mil for end of year to take the missing week into consideration and say thats undertracked by 500k...

that means you are expecting 60% of 4th quarter sales in the 1st quarter. That is simply unheard of. You should expect something closer to 20%. So lets say its undertracked greatly and close to 2.5m, the most someone should realisticly expect is close to 500k Jan - March. And thats generous!

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:
eyeofcore said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
eyeofcore said:
Wii U by now should be 5.3 to 5.5 million units...

In January it should reach 5.7 while in best case scenario 5.85, Wii U will break 6 million in february and should hit 6.75 somewhere in March.

I estimate that Wii U by November will break 10 million and by end of 2014 will break 12.5 million...

Yep...that sounds like Sonys first year numbers for sure. Sony and Microsoft are good at getting people to pick up consoles in Summer and Fall especially. 

Nope... Do I mention Sony or Microsoft? No, so stop being delusional and also please go back to school since you can't read apparently...

PlayStation 4 stands at 3.4 million at week that ended on December 21th... I expect that PlayStation 4 will reach week after that 3.8-4.0 million and week after that 4.1-4.25 million... I assume that sales cool down as usually after Xmas and crash and burn after New Year event.

Please don't call anyone delusional when you expect the WiiU to sell 750k in March. Especially when it did 120k last March. Did you know that's a 600% increase from 2013. It didn't even have any competition last year. 

Did around February/March last year had 1st party exclusives, did Wii U's library at that time had many games and exclusives and did it had marketing at that time? No... Wii U has now a well established library with a lot of 1st, 2nd and 3rd party exclusives... Price drop that happened in Q3 will have an effect then upcoming 3rd party and 1st/2nd party games also with advertising that Nintendo failed to do last year around the same time.

As Reggie said, Software sales Hardware... Wii U didn't had much of software last year and now it does, it has build up to have enough and more is coming...

People doomed the DS and look what happened, people doomed the Wii and look how that played out, people doomed the 3DS and look how Nintendo resolved... Nintendo has the experience, they are over 100 years old company, knowledge was passed on from one generation to another generation of employees and they learned from their mistakes that they have done with each console...

Wii U did had competition, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360... Now it also has PlayStation 4 nad Xbox One and both of them also compete with Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3... When new generation starts, you need to give a reason to people to switch from Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 to their successors will it be the games or something else also attract people that are venturing into console gaming...

They could see a 200$ PlayStation 3 and a PlayStation 4 that is 400$ and they will likely choose PlayStation 3 because its cheaper and has a well established library thus you need a reason to persuade the consumer to buy your newer console with promies of games and other things... Marketing and software is the key... Nintendo failed to deliver first half last year and started delivering that in its second half...

I am out of here...

I won't argue with biased pro-Sony fans... I hurt their feeling.

eyeofcore said:
I am out of here...

I won't argue with biased pro-Sony fans... I hurt their feeling.

Oh don't worry, we'll be sure to bump this around March so you can see how wrong you were. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

DietSoap said:
... Did he just forget about Mario Kart in spring or something?

I like Pachter and all, but yeah, nah, 2014 is going to be an absolute monster of a year for the Wii U. Between that and Smash it's going to sell more than the PS4 and Xbox One for the full year easily.

LOL

Nobody here in Europe care about smash and mario kart. For us those games are overrated and just boring.

Hardcore gamers want Watch_Dogs, MGS V, Infamous: Second Son, Uncharted 4. Casual gemers are interested in CoD and new Fifa. The only people who will buy WiiU and Nintendo games here, are parents who want child friendly games for their kids.  

There is no chance for WiiU to win over PS4 without Europe. 

That 500k is realistic. Now, if you want to be optimistic you should think somewhere in the 750k range. Anything more than that is delusional.

Even if it achieves greater sales than that it wont mean your right. In math class you do all the wrong steps but get the right answer you wont get any credit. You are that guy in math class.