By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 Will Probably Outsell Wii U by Spring Globally - Michael Pachter

Michael Pachter Says PS4 Will Probably Outsell Wii U by Spring Globally

The PlayStation 4 is on track to pass the Wii U’s lifetime sales by April or May, according to Michael Pachter, well-known predictor of gaming-related sales trends.

“I am pretty sure the Wii U will still be ahead in March, but PS4 is going to pass it in 2014 at some point. PS4 will only be at 5-5.5 million by March, Wii U should be a hair ahead of that. Probably April or May,” said Pachter.

The PS4 has reached 3.4 million units sold compared to the Wii U’s 5 million units sold, according to VGChartz. The difference, of course, is that the PlayStation 4 was released on Nov. 15, 2013, while the Wii U made its debut on Nov. 18, 2012.

GamerFitNation suspected that the PS4 would outsell the Wii U by March, and we contacted Pachter, managing director of equity research for Wedbush Securities, for his opinion.

There’s a ton of PS4 games coming out around March. Exclusives like Infamous: Second Son, releasing on Mar. 21, and other highly anticipated titles like Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Thief, Basement Crawl and Planetside 2 will push those who are on the fence about buying a next-generation console. The Wii U, in comparison, has few titles coming out around that time. The only one which has any potential to bring gamers to the console is Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

Source: http://gamerfitnation.com/2014/01/michael-pachter-says-ps4-will-probably-outsell-wii-u-by-spring/

Around the Network

That much is certain at this point.

Somini said:
That much is certain at this point.

True that.

I remember Sony said they planed to ship 5million units PS4 by end of March while MS planed to ship 5million units X1 by end of June.

Therefore, it is quite likely that PS4 outsell Wii U around June and X1 outsell Wii U around August.

Since its Pachter saying it, the wiiU will clearly win this generation! Go Nintendo!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Since its Pachter saying it, the wiiU will clearly win this generation! Go Nintendo!

Lol.

zhao3gold said:
I remember Sony said they planed to ship 5million units PS4 by end of March while MS planed to ship 5million units X1 by end of June.

Therefore, it is quite likely that PS4 outsell Wii U around June and X1 outsell Wii U around August.

Do you have a source for that? I want to have something to laugh before I go to bed.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
zhao3gold said:

Do you have a source for that? I want to have something to laugh before I go to bed.

Not sure where I saw it or heard it. Googled, but faile to find the source. I might be wrong.

But why you laugh?

If they can ship enough, sure. "Spring" is a dangerous time for a prediction like this -- Mario Kart is set to launch in spring. Depending on when in spring that means, it could delay this result.

zhao3gold said:

Your understanding of how this works is not as good as you think it is.

Sony has already begun producing even more PS4s per month than they were first planning to. These things are not set in stone. Targets are not there just to be met, companies try their damnest to exceed them.