By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Final Prediction for PS3 and Xbox 360 Total Lifetime Sales.

The gap is 18M or less with the Wii at present. The PS3 will be selling for the next 5+ years.

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
Just wondering, but does anyone know if the PS2 is still selling at all, and if it is, more specifically, how many units per year since the PS3 launched?

The reason I ask is because I'd like to see the YOY decline of the PS2 after its successor released, maybe we could work out a formula for predicting the PS3's sales per year from here on, such as percentage drop per year, and see if it follows a trend...

The PS2 was discontinued at the beginning of last year. It sold around 50M units since the PS3 launched.

Dark_Feanor said:
thismeintiel said:
PS3 - 100M-105M

360 - 90M-95M

Got to laugh at people predicting PS3 to hit barely 90M or slightly more. By the end of next year, it should be ~89M-90M. Do people seriously think it will only sell a couple more million after another price cut and at least 2 more years (probably discontinued in '17-'18) of sales?

Taged for the future.

Sales have fallen 50% in 2013, "only" 7mi sold, they can fell even more in 2014 with the next generation.

What games people buy PS3 for? What feature the PS3 has the next generation consoles don´t?

And how can it open a 9mi gap in the next 4 years if in the last 4 years never reached more than 2mi advantage (accordingly to VGChartz).??? 

50%?  What crazy numbers are you looking at?  According to VGC, 360 is down 47% without the final week of sales and PS3 is down 32%.  When all the numbers are in, the 360 will probably be down 40%-45%, while the PS3 will be down 25%-30%.  Next year will probably see similar drops, maybe slightly lower given a price cut.  And as you can see, the 360 is dropping quite a bit faster than the PS3, so the gap will only continue to increase.

Edit:  Also, what are you talking about 4 years for?  The PS3 just passed the 360 earlier this year.  In just several months following that, it has opened a 1M+ between it and the 360.  Given that the 360's sales are going to slow much faster than the PS3's WW, a 5M-10M gap is definitely not out of the question.

DucksUnlimited said:
Isn't the 360 still $250 for the 250gb model? I think there's plenty of room to price drop. Selling less than 4m more units is simply not possible.

It sold around 5.5 million in 2013 and that was half of its previous year's sales.  Based on that, 4 million is VERY possible if the trend continues.  Keep in mind that was on the lower end of the prediction though...

I would expect X360 to hit 100millions by 2017. But it really doesn't matter at all both for PS3 and X360. Most of gamers will start to focus on X1 and PS4 (& Wii U) from 2014.

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:
DucksUnlimited said:
Isn't the 360 still $250 for the 250gb model? I think there's plenty of room to price drop. Selling less than 4m more units is simply not possible.

It sold around 5.5 million in 2013 and that was half of its previous year's sales.  Based on that, 4 million is VERY possible if the trend continues.  Keep in mind that was on the lower end of the prediction though...

Actually, it sold 5.5m up to December 14. The most recent week's numbers add an additional 400k.

Considering the 360's price has barely altered since 2008, there's plenty of room to drop the price. And even if they never drop the price and the hardware drops off at the same rate, it'll essentially have reached your number by the end of next year.

Of course that 84m was on the lower end of the prediction, but there's no point in listing that low a number in the range you gave when it's not even possible.

Hard to guess. PS3 could go either way. I am worried that vita.tv could take some of its end of life sales. I could see 90-130 million. With 360 it's also hard to judge since it's Microsoft's first big console. I'm expecting the XBONE to have some trouble meaning first party 360 games are at an end, but thr system never sold on exclusives. Could see it between 85 and 100 million.

360 and ps3 95 million.

Both around 95m
All third parties are still supporting it

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Xbox 360: 92M

PS3: 102M