By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Final Prediction for PS3 and Xbox 360 Total Lifetime Sales.

Hmm, maybe your estimates will be truth, but Xbox 360 have bad situation (no exclusive and upcoming really good titles) to get about 90m. PS3 I think will be have that 95m or 100m, but on the ohter hand it's too hard to say this future thing :)

Video games and consoles collector from Poland.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Dark_Feanor said:
thismeintiel said:
PS3 - 100M-105M

360 - 90M-95M

Got to laugh at people predicting PS3 to hit barely 90M or slightly more. By the end of next year, it should be ~89M-90M. Do people seriously think it will only sell a couple more million after another price cut and at least 2 more years (probably discontinued in '17-'18) of sales?

Taged for the future.

Sales have fallen 50% in 2013, "only" 7mi sold, they can fell even more in 2014 with the next generation.

What games people buy PS3 for? What feature the PS3 has the next generation consoles don´t?

And how can it open a 9mi gap in the next 4 years if in the last 4 years never reached more than 2mi advantage (accordingly to VGChartz).??? 

50%?  What crazy numbers are you looking at?  According to VGC, 360 is down 47% without the final week of sales and PS3 is down 32%.  When all the numbers are in, the 360 will probably be down 40%-45%, while the PS3 will be down 25%-30%.  Next year will probably see similar drops, maybe slightly lower given a price cut.  And as you can see, the 360 is dropping quite a bit faster than the PS3, so the gap will only continue to increase.

Edit:  Also, what are you talking about 4 years for?  The PS3 just passed the 360 earlier this year.  In just several months following that, it has opened a 1M+ between it and the 360.  Given that the 360's sales are going to slow much faster than the PS3's WW, a 5M-10M gap is definitely not out of the question.

25% drop? Sorry, you are delusional if you look only at the PS2 case. 

It was a completely different case from today. Look at your avatar, Sony released God of War 1 and 2 when the 360 and PS3 were out. Do you think Uncharted 4 will be released on the PS4. They have already admited GT6 was a mistake.

And, I think you belive the PS4 is the perfect console, don´t you? So, why any one would buy a PS3 two years from now when they can buy a PS4 that is a much better console?

Just look at the Wii/WiiU situation.

Other thing I noticed, people here overstimate the effect of price cut.

I find it funny that people try to reference PS2 to PS3 to get an estimate of how much the PS3 will sell while PS4 is out.

Dark_Feanor said:
thismeintiel said:
Dark_Feanor said:

Taged for the future.

Sales have fallen 50% in 2013, "only" 7mi sold, they can fell even more in 2014 with the next generation.

What games people buy PS3 for? What feature the PS3 has the next generation consoles don´t?

And how can it open a 9mi gap in the next 4 years if in the last 4 years never reached more than 2mi advantage (accordingly to VGChartz).??? 

50%?  What crazy numbers are you looking at?  According to VGC, 360 is down 47% without the final week of sales and PS3 is down 32%.  When all the numbers are in, the 360 will probably be down 40%-45%, while the PS3 will be down 25%-30%.  Next year will probably see similar drops, maybe slightly lower given a price cut.  And as you can see, the 360 is dropping quite a bit faster than the PS3, so the gap will only continue to increase.

Edit:  Also, what are you talking about 4 years for?  The PS3 just passed the 360 earlier this year.  In just several months following that, it has opened a 1M+ between it and the 360.  Given that the 360's sales are going to slow much faster than the PS3's WW, a 5M-10M gap is definitely not out of the question.

25% drop? Sorry, you are delusional if you look only at the PS2 case. 

It was a completely different case from today. Look at your avatar, Sony released God of War 1 and 2 when the 360 and PS3 were out. Do you think Uncharted 4 will be released on the PS4. They have already admited GT6 was a mistake.

And, I think you belive the PS4 is the perfect console, don´t you? So, why any one would buy a PS3 two years from now when they can buy a PS4 that is a much better console?

Just look at the Wii/WiiU situation.

Other thing I noticed, people here overstimate the effect of price cut.

You realize I said 25%-30%, right?  Granted, it will be closer to 30%.  Still, far from your made up 50%.  Care to explain where that came from?  And can you give the link where Sony called GT6 a mistake? 

Not sure what my thoughts on the PS4 have to do with PS3 sales, but whatever.  The reason that the PS3 will continue to sell, just like PS2 sold when the PS3 dropped to $399, is because not everyone is willing to drop $399 on a console.  A lot of people wait for it to drop to $299 or even $199, especially in developing nations.

And the Wii's sales started to drop incredibly before the Wii U's release, and was actually outselling the Wii U for awhile there, so that point is moot.

thismeintiel said:

You realize I said 25%-30%, right?  Granted, it will be closer to 30%.  Still, far from your made up 50%.  Care to explain where that came from?  And can you give the link where Sony called GT6 a mistake? 

Not sure what my thoughts on the PS4 have to do with PS3 sales, but whatever.  The reason that the PS3 will continue to sell, just like PS2 sold when the PS3 dropped to $399, is because not everyone is willing to drop $399 on a console.  A lot of people wait for it to drop to $299 or even $199, especially in developing nations.

And the Wii's sales started to drop incredibly before the Wii U's release, and was actually outselling the Wii U for awhile there, so that point is moot.

You chose to look only at PS2 case, 7 years ago, a very, very different situation:

1- PS3 was much more expencive than the PS2.

2- PS3 strugled for years with weak ports and delayed games.

3- PS2 recieved strong suport por third partys AND first party studios.

Now PS3 is falling 30% this year, following a 15% fall last year, even thought it was two years with strong suport from 3th and first party games. Surely things that the Wii didn´t have resulting in 33%, 54% and 63%  drops since 2011.

PS4 is doing fantastic, XOne is greate, 360 is still in shape, WiiU had a little breath of  hope, and I can add the tablets, smartphones and PCs as competition.

The price point is not that important in the major markets. Anyone in USA and EU that wanted a PS3 or a 360 already have one or both.

Around the Network

X360 = 90m

PS3 = 95m

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
90 million for XBox 360.
100 million for PS3.
PS3 can sell 18 million over the next 4 years.
XBox 360 can sell 9 million over the next 2 years.

This seems reasonable to me, give or take a million.

PS3 104 million

360 91 million

I am the Playstation Avenger.

PS3: 95-100M
360: 89-93M

PS3: 100.5 million
Xbox360: 90 million