By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Final Prediction for PS3 and Xbox 360 Total Lifetime Sales.

-Spam Removed-

yo_john117

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:
thismeintiel said:

You realize I said 25%-30%, right?  Granted, it will be closer to 30%.  Still, far from your made up 50%.  Care to explain where that came from?  And can you give the link where Sony called GT6 a mistake? 

Not sure what my thoughts on the PS4 have to do with PS3 sales, but whatever.  The reason that the PS3 will continue to sell, just like PS2 sold when the PS3 dropped to $399, is because not everyone is willing to drop $399 on a console.  A lot of people wait for it to drop to $299 or even $199, especially in developing nations.

And the Wii's sales started to drop incredibly before the Wii U's release, and was actually outselling the Wii U for awhile there, so that point is moot.

You chose to look only at PS2 case, 7 years ago, a very, very different situation:

1- PS3 was much more expencive than the PS2.

2- PS3 strugled for years with weak ports and delayed games.

3- PS2 recieved strong suport por third partys AND first party studios.

Now PS3 is falling 30% this year, following a 15% fall last year, even thought it was two years with strong suport from 3th and first party games. Surely things that the Wii didn´t have resulting in 33%, 54% and 63%  drops since 2011.

PS4 is doing fantastic, XOne is greate, 360 is still in shape, WiiU had a little breath of  hope, and I can add the tablets, smartphones and PCs as competition.

The price point is not that important in the major markets. Anyone in USA and EU that wanted a PS3 or a 360 already have one or both.

So, a nearly 50% (probably ~45% when all is said and done) drop YOY is still in shape, but your going to downplay PS3's ~30% drop.  You do realize that if the 360 repeats a 45% drop again, it will only sell ~3.5M next year.  If the PS3 sees another 30% drop next year, it will still sell ~6.3M.  That's a nearly 3M gap. 

And yes, a price cut to $99, or even $149, will give the PS3 a boost, even if it is a small one.  Of course, it's not the major markets that the PS3 will still be selling in in 2016-2017.  It will be the developing nations that Sony pushed the PS2 in after it was pretty much dead in the US and Japan.  Those countries will want to be moving onto a new system, too.  And since Nintendo and MS aren't really interested in pushing their consoles in those countries, they will be going for a cheap PS3.

NobleTeam360 said:
I find it funny that people try to reference PS2 to PS3 to get an estimate of how much the PS3 will sell while PS4 is out.

You're right. PS1 needs to be factored in too. I mean that was a successful console with a very successful follow up so it better mirrors PS3 and PS4 for the moment. That would put the PS3 at around 110 million sales.

Or should we extrapolate since the PS1 sold 30 million post PS2 launch and the PS2 sold 50 million post PS3 launch, so PS3 should sell 70 million post PS4 launch? That's kinda ludicrous though. Better to do it by percents. PS1 sold 43% more units after PS2 launch and PS2 sold 50% more units after PS3 launched. Extrapolate that percent to 57% and the PS3 will sell 125 million. Averaging that to 46% seems to make more sense though. Applying it to PS3 means 37 million more sales or a total of 117. Legit.

ps3: 240M.

PS3: around 96 Million.
360: around 92 Million.

Around the Network

PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 both around 85 million copies

There is no way in hell the PS3 is going to sell 100 million. That's like 15 million from where it's at now. I'll say about 88 million if that, no more then that.

PS3 will reach 100 million yet. Xbox 360 might get close to 90 million as well.

This is the last important year for PS3 & X360 globally. I don't think X360 is getting to 90m, probably 85m. PS3 is probably 50-50 for 90m, 40% for 91m, 32% for 92m, 26% for 93m, 20% for 94m, 16% for 95m, 13% for 96m, 10.5% for 97m, 9% for 98m, 7.5% for 99m, 6% for 100m, and

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

PlayStation 3 won't reach 100 million.

It also probably won't reach 90 million.

At the moment PS3 sales are at 82.79 million

PlayStation 3 sales right now are at decline.

Everyone is buying the PlayStation 4.

Do you really think that a system with sales at major decline can sale

20 million copies more and pass 100 million?

I don't think so.

90 million is also seems like a far target for PS3 and Xbox 360.

I think both will eventually sale about 85 million copies.