By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why does it matter if Wii U games dont look as good as others?

Faust said:
TheGhosts said:

Please don't get me wrong, i really appreciate good graphics too ;) But i believe that other things like innovation and the overall game experience is more important than awesome graphics!!!

Of course, there is no way to innovate and be pretty at the same time 

I know right? Responses like that just piss me off.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:
curl-6 said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
Nintendo fans will always claim that art style is more important than graphics (they determine what's important btw) and that their games have better art purely because it suits them. Unlike graphics art is entirely subjective to boot. "Wii games look better to me", well good for you buddy.

(A) You're saying people shouldn't be allowed to define their own personal standards?

(B) Who said that? Nice strawman.

(A) Arent you the same people who say graphics dont matter whenever people enjoy them on other platforms?

(B) Ive already seen claims that Mario 3D Land is the best looking 8th gen game on THIS thread. Ive seen people claiming that Wii games looked better to them in THIS thread.

(A) I'm a person, not a people. And no, I don't do that.

(B) Mario 3D World is not a Wii game. And if somebody were to prefer its colourful art direction and 60fps framerate over what other 8th gen titles offer, that's a legitimate opinion.

SubiyaCryolite said:
FrancisNobleman said:
graphics matter, look how the almighty dudebro ps3 and 360 outsold the Wii.

Or most recently, how the NGP "Next Gen Portable" with all its next genness, is outselling the 3DS.

It matters so much, you wouldn't believe. That's why nobody plays iphone and android games also.

Conveniently ignoring that the dudebro systems have outsold the Wii when combined. Have a larger market share combined. Sell more third part games combined . Will/have a longer life than the Wii. And still have games being released for them for at least another 2 years. Oh and the PS3 is just 20 million units behind despite its terrible launch price and early years. If graphics are all that matter to Sony and MS fans then sales ar all that matter to Nintendo fans apparently. Nice try buddy

lol @ bolded. Just 20 million.

Wasn't it the MS and Sony fans that sales mattered to? Hence Nintendo fans using Wii sales to trip them up.

mysteryman said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
FrancisNobleman said:

Or most recently, how the NGP "Next Gen Portable" with all its next genness, is outselling the 3DS.

It matters so much, you wouldn't believe. That's why nobody plays iphone and android games also.

Conveniently ignoring that the dudebro systems have outsold the Wii when combined. Have a larger market share combined. Sell more third part games combined . Will/have a longer life than the Wii. And still have games being released for them for at least another 2 years. Oh and the PS3 is just 20 million units behind despite its terrible launch price and early years. If graphics are all that matter to Sony and MS fans then sales ar all that matter to Nintendo fans apparently. Nice try buddy

Wasn't it the MS and Sony fans that sales mattered to? Hence Nintendo fans using Wii sales to trip them up.

Its not like the Wii has outsold the PS3 2:1 or or anything, its about 20% ahead, 20%. The XBox has about 10% of the GameCube was it not? You dont see any "Ha! the XBox completely outsold the GameCube" comments now do you?

SubiyaCryolite said:
mysteryman said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
FrancisNobleman said:

Its not like the Wii has outsold the PS3 2:1 or or anything, its about 20% ahead, 20%. The XBox has about 10% of the GameCube was it not? You dont see any "Ha! the XBox completely outsold the GameCube" comments now do you?

That's a bit of a stretch to look at it solely by percentages, 20 million is a much bigger difference than 3.

It always seems that when it comes to Nintendo excelling in any area, it needs to be downplayed or even spun into a negative.

You could also say that the Wii is 20 million units ahead of the PS3 despite little support for its last 2 years and it beginning to cease manufacturing. But no-one really listens if they're not doomed.

Around the Network
mysteryman said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
mysteryman said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
FrancisNobleman said:

That's a bit of a stretch to look at it solely by percentages, 20 million is a much bigger difference than 3.

It always seems that when it comes to Nintendo excelling in any area, it needs to be downplayed or even spun into a negative.

You could also say that the Wii is 20 million units ahead of the PS3 despite little support for its last 2 years and it beginning to cease manufacturing. But no-one really listens if they're not doomed.

And how far do you think the PS3 will be at the end of its production? It could end up 15 to 10 million units behind the Wii when all is said and done. Will that be "completely outsold". The point of that statement is to prove that the notion of "good hardware means nothing to consumers" as implied in  FrancisNoblemans post is complete nonsense. This is being shown RIGHT now with the PS4 and X1. Clearly, the PS3 alone and it combined with the 360 (a segmented HD market if you will) say otherwise. Is that spinning things? Is it really? Apart from exclusives does anything seperatethe systems games or demographic that clearly outnumbers the Wiis? 

SubiyaCryolite said:
Just last week when I called Crysis 1 a great game someone dismissed me as a graphics whore. I then promptly reminded him of a 91 on metacritic. Cause games with good graphics are inherently "bad" or something these days.

I see this a lot too.  It's an interesting contrast.  Games with good graphics on PS4/Xbox One are shouted down as all shine, no substance by the Nintendo groupies.  Games with good graphics on Wii U are booed as all substance, no shine by the Sony/Microsoft camps.  Obviously all three systems can produce great looking titles, they're just playing to very different crowds.  One group praises the realism of titles like Uncharted, The Division, etc.. the other Super Mario. They're all arguably great looking games, but it's really tough to compare them because they're so different. 

And on the internet, there's no way that both sides can raise valid points.  Nope.

It's all about the game.

I think he needs to look at the next-generation screenshots thread on Gaf. Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Need For Speed Most Wanted and Super Mario 3D World screenshots don't look out of place compared to Killzone, Forza, Knack and Ryse just to pick a few examples.

Watchdogs will be the better test. It will be on ps4, xbo, and wiiu.

Also, OP its hard to compare games like Mario to Uncharted when its entirely different, its easy to make good looking cartoons without needing to worry about textures and realism.

The best selling games (multi-plat or exclusive) on the HD twins wouldn't win any graphics awards. The Last Of US was indeed beautiful but it wasn't the best selling PS3 game.
If the majority of people bought games just to look at the graphics then this wouldn't be the case.

But things change. Every generation the PS and Xbox generation demands more power and this trend seems to be growing. Even if this power results in games looking like GTA V and COD some of the time at least they can look forward to pretty exclusives.

More and more people are buying consoles because of the power it possesses due the hardware wars that moved to a different level with MS. Sony didn't bother too much about power with the PS One or even the PS2 because arguably the N64 and then the Xbox and GC were more powerful.

From reading plenty of forums where young, non bias gamers gave their views on the wii u the main reason that I gathered why they weren't interested was mainly because they conceived it to be underpowered and no better than (in some cases worst) the x360. They may get it as a second console to compliment their main console if the games appeal to them but not as a primary console.

Before the PS4 even launched and prices were announced many knew it would sell better (even if only initially) simply because it is more powerful than the xbox one. Forget what went before. The generation that grew up in the xbox and PS2 era are now older, working and can buy their own consoles.

Why did so many people buy the PS4 and not the wii u at launch? The library? No, a lot of it has to do with the power.

This is of course not scientific research but for me it explains a lot.