By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Will Xbox One accelerate blu-ray adoption?

SvennoJ said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Chevinator123 said:
i cant believe people are still buying DVDs instead of blu-rays what the actual fuck

DVD Players have existed for twenty years, but Sony made DVD players affordable to the masses 14 years ago. Blu Ray is past the first phase of its exposure to a wide audience. Even the Xbox and Wii have Blu Ray. Once Xbone gamers and Wii U gamers experience Blu Ray they might just start to buy Blu Ray through influence of the differential experience. I wasn't a believer in Blu Ray until I bought the PS3. I couldn't watch DVD's any longer. People don't know until they try it.

Unfortunately WiiU does not support DVD or Bluray playback, at least not without hacking the console.
You can ofcourse watch the digital copy on the gamepad. I must have hundreds of digital movie vouchers from blu-ray, haven't tried it once though.

I still have a huge dvd collection, although I have upgraded my top 50 so far. DVD looks so dull color wise, image stuttering from 3:2 pulldown conversion, some with interlace problems and 4:3 letterbox versions of 2.35:1 movies, that's less then 360p you tube quality.

4K tvs will probably push blu-ray as well. With a decent upscaler blu-ray on 4K will blow 5 and 10 mbps HD streaming out of the water.
Blu-ray has only recently reach mass consumer prices, they can be had for as low as $60 now. Why keep buying dvds indeed.

Didn't Sony also have the first 4k TV at some outrageous price?

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
thismeintiel said:

Some more extremely selective from some of you MS guys. I'm starting to notice a pattern emerging.  

@ MB1025

I definitely agree the quick turn around played a part in it.  DVD had only came out 11 years prior (1995) to the release of Bluray.  Though, it didn't really kick off until 2000, when players dropped in price and the PS2 was released.  Of course, Sony and Philips had to act quick, otherwise HDDVD would have become the standard.

Just a quick correction, though.  VHS was around for 19 years before DVD was released, not 30 years.  Still, 8 years longer than DVD to Bluray.

Wtf? lol

I've spent the last 6 years educating sony fans to the fact that sony doesnt own BluRay, its not even close to the truth.

I have commented on it sooooo many times. 

Its only sony fans that think sony owns bluray... nobody else thinks that.  They see it as some kind of trophy... fuck knows why?

Well, you don't represent everyone in the Xbox community.  And the selecctive reading comes from 3 of you guys not reading the very sentence that followed that one.  Keep reading my OP, you eventually see it. 

Probably not, that was the PS3's job. The Xbone (and PS4) will be enforcing the status quo.

I don't expect any noticable or at least trackable increase in BR sales due to the X1 using the format. There are maybe a half dozen movies per year that I consider worth owning on disc. If BluRay discs were cheaper I might buy more. Not sure if that's typical.

Honestly I would rather play even a fairly good game than watch an excellent movie and those are few and far between. The price per hour of entertainment is hugely tilted towards games especially the rpgs I spend most of my time with.

Recon1O1 said:
I don't expect any noticable or at least trackable increase in BR sales due to the X1 using the format. There are maybe a half dozen movies per year that I consider worth owning on disc. If BluRay discs were cheaper I might buy more. Not sure if that's typical.

Honestly I would rather play even a fairly good game than watch an excellent movie and those are few and far between. The price per hour of entertainment is hugely tilted towards games especially the rpgs I spend most of my time with.

I agree with this thought process as well.

The llast movie theater moive I attended was austin powers gold member......how ever many years ago that was in theaters should hint how long I decided moives were not worth spending money on. I'd rather buy a pizza that can hang on me all day rather than a movie that is dead to me in 2 hours.

I thought it a nice addiction to video game consoles to add DVD's way back but in the end for the last couple of years, $60 bucks on a cod game was all I needed to entertain me all year long. $20 on a blu ray is throwing cash away........

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Chevinator123 said:
i cant believe people are still buying DVDs instead of blu-rays what the actual fuck

DVD Players have existed for twenty years, but Sony made DVD players affordable to the masses 14 years ago. Blu Ray is past the first phase of its exposure to a wide audience. Even the Xbox and Wii have Blu Ray. Once Xbone gamers and Wii U gamers experience Blu Ray they might just start to buy Blu Ray through influence of the differential experience. I wasn't a believer in Blu Ray until I bought the PS3. I couldn't watch DVD's any longer. People don't know until they try it.

The only logical explanation for this is...

Chevinator123 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Chevinator123 said:

well...............this is a gaming website, I think it's obvious why most people here bought HD TV's........

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

kowenicki said:
thismeintiel said:

Well, you don't represent everyone in the Xbox community.  And the selecctive reading comes from 3 of you guys not reading the very sentence that followed that one.  Keep reading my OP, you eventually see it. 

I read it.  I expect that number to be zero.

Because that kind of xbox fanboy know sony doesnt own BluRay.

I guess reading comprehension fail, then?  Who said anything about people believing Sony solely owned Bluray?  Again, reread my OP. 

And zero?  Come on.  There is never zero of any group.  There will always be diehards in the console wars.  Like all those people who said Bluray was shit and unnecessary, and digital downloads would rule content distribution next gen.  What happened?  Bluray sales have increased and even the Xbox One uses it.  Bluray and DD will coexist for years, just like CDs and MP3s have.

Anyway, there is no need in continuing this off topic discussion, so I will end it here.

Chevinator123 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Chevinator123 said:

I am talking about Blu Ray not 1080P HD TV's. You can use Blu Ray on a 720p TV and 1080i as well. Has nothing to do with what I am saying. Theres also a difference between LCD, LED or OLED. 4k is going to be sick. Once more I wasn't talking about TV's but i'll humor your little side that was rather off.

damoxuk said:
Some people like me still prefer Quality first. So Blu-Ray is the besst way to watch movies at home.

1080p streaming is no where near the quality of Blu-ray and the audio not even close.

But like I said if you want Quality watch Blu-Ray - if you want quantity or crap quality go streaming.

Until streaming is 50mbps blu-ray quality not too interested. (before you ask I have a Fibre internet with 72mbps connection).

I can't really attest to the audio since I dont' have a surround sound system but 1080p streaming on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/Xbox is very close to Blu-ray quality IMO. My cousin still watches DVD's so when I see those I can see a very noticeable difference between my Blu-ray collection and 1080p streaming but when I watch 1080p streaming I can't see a noticeable difference (The Blu-rays do have a slight edge but it's not much at all). So no, Streaming is not "crap quality" by any means

I'm sure the actual quality difference (in terms of mbps) is huge but due to diminishing returns the difference is not that much at all on my 46" TV. I'm sure if you're rocking 60+ or have a projector than the difference becomes more noticeable though.

OT: I think that it may accelerate it a little bit but not much more than it would have otherwise. Streaming seems to be what people want to do for the most part. Personally it's my prefered method of watching something but I still do like to get Blu-rays for my favorite movies as long as they aren't too overpriced (i'll only pay the $20-25 for a new Blu-ray if I think the movie is incredible...like the Hunger Games or LOTR series).