By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Will Xbox One accelerate blu-ray adoption?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
SvennoJ said:

Unfortunately WiiU does not support DVD or Bluray playback, at least not without hacking the console.
You can ofcourse watch the digital copy on the gamepad. I must have hundreds of digital movie vouchers from blu-ray, haven't tried it once though.

I still have a huge dvd collection, although I have upgraded my top 50 so far. DVD looks so dull color wise, image stuttering from 3:2 pulldown conversion, some with interlace problems and 4:3 letterbox versions of 2.35:1 movies, that's less then 360p you tube quality.

4K tvs will probably push blu-ray as well. With a decent upscaler blu-ray on 4K will blow 5 and 10 mbps HD streaming out of the water.
Blu-ray has only recently reach mass consumer prices, they can be had for as low as $60 now. Why keep buying dvds indeed.

Didn't Sony also have the first 4k TV at some outrageous price?

Yes, theirs is $3000 currently (XBR-55X850A). They also had the first Full 4K projector (VPL-VW1000E) which is still outrageous at $25k and have a 4K player (FMPX1) running with 40GB downloads of 4K movies for $700.

You can also already get a 4K tv for $770 and an upscaling blu-ray player for $198.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
SvennoJ said:

Unfortunately WiiU does not support DVD or Bluray playback, at least not without hacking the console.
You can ofcourse watch the digital copy on the gamepad. I must have hundreds of digital movie vouchers from blu-ray, haven't tried it once though.

I still have a huge dvd collection, although I have upgraded my top 50 so far. DVD looks so dull color wise, image stuttering from 3:2 pulldown conversion, some with interlace problems and 4:3 letterbox versions of 2.35:1 movies, that's less then 360p you tube quality.

4K tvs will probably push blu-ray as well. With a decent upscaler blu-ray on 4K will blow 5 and 10 mbps HD streaming out of the water.
Blu-ray has only recently reach mass consumer prices, they can be had for as low as $60 now. Why keep buying dvds indeed.

Didn't Sony also have the first 4k TV at some outrageous price?

Yes, theirs is $3000 currently (XBR-55X850A). They also had the first Full 4K projector (VPL-VW1000E) which is still outrageous at $25k and have a 4K player (FMPX1) running with 40GB downloads of 4K movies for $700.

You can also already get a 4K tv for $770 and an upscaling blu-ray player for $198.

$3000 for a 4K TV? Last I checked it was more expensive. Good. Price dropped.

I think more devices using Bluray will encourage more people to switch from DVD.

But the masses are clearly opting for digital or renting movies.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

yo_john117 said:
damoxuk said:
Some people like me still prefer Quality first. So Blu-Ray is the besst way to watch movies at home.

1080p streaming is no where near the quality of Blu-ray and the audio not even close.

But like I said if you want Quality watch Blu-Ray - if you want quantity or crap quality go streaming.

Until streaming is 50mbps blu-ray quality not too interested. (before you ask I have a Fibre internet with 72mbps connection).

I can't really attest to the audio since I dont' have a surround sound system but 1080p streaming on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/Xbox is very close to Blu-ray quality IMO. My cousin still watches DVD's so when I see those I can see a very noticeable difference between my Blu-ray collection and 1080p streaming but when I watch 1080p streaming I can't see a noticeable difference (The Blu-rays do have a slight edge but it's not much at all). So no, Streaming is not "crap quality" by any means

I'm sure the actual quality difference (in terms of mbps) is huge but due to diminishing returns the difference is not that much at all on my 46" TV. I'm sure if you're rocking 60+ or have a projector than the difference becomes more noticeable though.

OT: I think that it may accelerate it a little bit but not much more than it would have otherwise. Streaming seems to be what people want to do for the most part. Personally it's my prefered method of watching something but I still do like to get Blu-rays for my favorite movies as long as they aren't too overpriced (i'll only pay the $20-25 for a new Blu-ray if I think the movie is incredible...like the Hunger Games or LOTR series).

From accross the room on 46" yeah I can believe the finer details in blu-ray have less impact. The difference is bigger in heavy action scenes though, and blu-ray also still lacks in that area. I did a comparison once between Zune 1080p at 5mbps and Blu-ray.

Taken with a Canon DSLR from my 1080p projector screen after optimally calibrating ps3 and 360. 4K images, nowhere to hide :)
I did use a scene with a lot of movement (helicopter flies over the bridge) and with lots of similar hues and shadow detail which is always the first thing to suffer with lossy compression.

Streaming took over renting, apart from redbox physical renting is pretty much dead. I do wonder how many people actually buy standalone digital copies. All I hear is netflix and torrents. How many people actually pay $17 to $20 for a digital download tied to a specific service. Plus for example Skyfall $20 on XBox video, $14 on Amazon, The impossible and Argo also $20 on XBox video, $10 on Amazon. Why pay more for less.

Ofcourse it will help

Around the Network

Possibly, but Blu-ray will never be as widely used as DVD's were for movies/ TV shows.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Mr Puggsly said:
I think more devices using Bluray will encourage more people to switch from DVD.

I think there is 1 main device that isn't switching and halting the BluRay adoption: the PC
I mean they are selling pc's without an optical drive and when they have one it's a dvd drive.. Are there even PC games on Bluray?

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I think there is 1 main device that isn't switching and halting the BluRay adoption: the PC
I mean they are selling pc's without an optical drive and when they have one it's a dvd drive.. Are there even PC games on Bluray?

It took a long time before pc games stopped coming on CDs as well. Yet Blu-ray might never happen, physical pc games are a small minority now.
I can't believe people still want to burn DVD's while BDXL holds 128Gb. Not that you can find those in stores, it's 25Gb discs for burning. They're pretty close to the same price per GB as dvd nowadays, but I guess it's far easier and cheaper just to plug in a 2TB USB HDD for back ups.

I've used my laptop to watch dvds before blu-ray came around. It's easy to move about, and simple to connect to any data projector. Nowadays it's even easier with HDMI output being standard, but no blu-ray drive in my new 1k 1080p laptop... You need to go over $2000 to get blu-ray included :/

Not really no.

I mean, blu-ray sales might be helped by pure eventuality...

but as it is... blu-ray just doesn't really fit the market.

I hope so. I am a huge fan of Blue Rays and look forward to their continued success.

I also love home 3D and hope that both the Xbox One and the PS4 end up supporting 3D Blue Ray movies.