By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Will Xbox One accelerate blu-ray adoption?

Recon1O1 said:
I don't expect any noticable or at least trackable increase in BR sales due to the X1 using the format. There are maybe a half dozen movies per year that I consider worth owning on disc. If BluRay discs were cheaper I might buy more. Not sure if that's typical.

Honestly I would rather play even a fairly good game than watch an excellent movie and those are few and far between. The price per hour of entertainment is hugely tilted towards games especially the rpgs I spend most of my time with.

There's a ton of 8-10$ BR movies avaible. Terminator 1 is 6$ on amazon, right now.

SvennoJ said:
NiKKoM said:
Mr Puggsly said:
I think more devices using Bluray will encourage more people to switch from DVD.

But the masses are clearly opting for digital or renting movies.

I think there is 1 main device that isn't switching and halting the BluRay adoption: the PC
I mean they are selling pc's without an optical drive and when they have one it's a dvd drive.. Are there even PC games on Bluray?

It took a long time before pc games stopped coming on CDs as well. Yet Blu-ray might never happen, physical pc games are a small minority now.
I can't believe people still want to burn DVD's while BDXL holds 128Gb. Not that you can find those in stores, it's 25Gb discs for burning. They're pretty close to the same price per GB as dvd nowadays, but I guess it's far easier and cheaper just to plug in a 2TB USB HDD for back ups.

I've used my laptop to watch dvds before blu-ray came around. It's easy to move about, and simple to connect to any data projector. Nowadays it's even easier with HDMI output being standard, but no blu-ray drive in my new 1k 1080p laptop... You need to go over $2000 to get blu-ray included :/

I burn my stuff to BD-R. I saved 2TB drives by just putting everything on 20 25 BD-R. If 50 GB were cheapre I'd use them.

Around the Network
archer9234 said:
Recon1O1 said:
I don't expect any noticable or at least trackable increase in BR sales due to the X1 using the format. There are maybe a half dozen movies per year that I consider worth owning on disc. If BluRay discs were cheaper I might buy more. Not sure if that's typical.

Honestly I would rather play even a fairly good game than watch an excellent movie and those are few and far between. The price per hour of entertainment is hugely tilted towards games especially the rpgs I spend most of my time with.

There's a ton of 8-10$ BR movies avaible. Terminator 1 is 6$ on amazon, right now.

Not just old movies, plenty 2012 movies are sub $10. Renting a digital copy for $6.99 that has to be watched in 48 hours sucks in comparison, and digital prices for buying are usually $17 to $24, with hardly any promotions.

there's always going to be a fairly sizeable physical market because of people not having access to internet that's fast enough to stream in HD yet alone download in it (without it taking ages anyway)

I mean, I live in a sub-urban town in the UK and there's not even Fibre Optic here yet so our speed is only like 2mb/s

on that I can barely stream in SD most of the time so I still get blu-rays more often than not, you will find this is the same in a lot of places so until you have near universal fibre optic broadband coverage then you are basically looking at the physical market still being very viable.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Blu Ray on Nintendo and Microsoft following Sony will expand Blu Ray adoption, but yes Sony has already done most of the work that needed to be done the same way they did with DVD's during the PS2 era. Blu Ray has been big a relatively short amount of time. It wasnt until like half way through the PS3 era that it started to pick up speed on stand-alone players. DVD's first came out in 1995 and no one could afford it until the Playstation 2 in 2001, so the Blu Ray market will slowly eat away at the DVD market.

DVD's first came out in 1996.  In Japan only, USA in december 97, Europe 98 and didn't go fully world wide until 1999.

The DVD standard was finalized in 1995 if that's what you mean.  It wasn't actually released then though.

Blu-ray has lagged behind DVD in pretty much every sales indicator except for player sales... only because of the PS3.

Not just in marketshare numbers but in just pure physical numbers.  Which is fascinating considering the increase in the market.

By 2003 DVD was considered to have a majority of marketshare by pretty much everybody.

By Blu-rays timeline that would be 2012.  We're sitting at 2013 and it's still only sitting at around 40% total sales on a statistic that only counts the top 50 movies.   Which is a measure that's slanted towards new media... and despite the fact that the PS3 came out before the PS1 respectivly lifetime..

Kasz216 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Blu Ray on Nintendo and Microsoft following Sony will expand Blu Ray adoption, but yes Sony has already done most of the work that needed to be done the same way they did with DVD's during the PS2 era. Blu Ray has been big a relatively short amount of time. It wasnt until like half way through the PS3 era that it started to pick up speed on stand-alone players. DVD's first came out in 1995 and no one could afford it until the Playstation 2 in 2001, so the Blu Ray market will slowly eat away at the DVD market.

DVD's first came out in 1996.  In Japan only, USA in december 97, Europe 98 and didn't go fully world wide until 1999.

The DVD standard was finalized in 1995 if that's what you mean.  It wasn't actually released then though.

Blu-ray has lagged behind DVD in pretty much every sales indicator except for player sales... only because of the PS3.

Not just in marketshare numbers but in just pure physical numbers.  Which is fascinating considering the increase in the market.

By 2003 DVD was considered to have a majority of marketshare by pretty much everybody.

By Blu-rays timeline that would be 2012.  We're sitting at 2013 and it's still only sitting at around 40% total sales on a statistic that only counts the top 50 movies.   Which is a measure that's slanted towards new media... and despite the fact that the PS3 came out before the PS1 respectivly lifetime..

Yeah. besides Digital forcing physical out of sales space. You also have to factor in a ton of people don't care about HD. They either don't like the higher cost. Or don't see any benefit in it. I still have friends who have a HDTV but have a SD cable box. This cuases the weaker sales. This will get worse when 4K comes around. I don't care about resoultion anymore. Mainly because will it end? Are companies just gonna keep uping resoution every 10 years? Rebuying stuff over and over again... I won't replace anything I already own on BD.

BD might of taken off if it didn't have a format war. And was able to be played in DVD players. I remember I couldn't buy any BD's for nearly 2 years all because of that stupid nonsese with HDDVD VS BD. It also doesn't help if a company doens't release their stuff on BD. I've waited so damn long for a complete series release of Smallvile on BD. but only 5-10 are availbe. So I end up buying the DVD sets. And won't bother if they do release Seasons 1-4, if ever.

Around the Network

How beeping lazy are people today that they can't even bother swapping discs?

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Naum said:
How beeping lazy are people today that they can't even bother swapping discs?

It's evoltuon of tech. If you can do something faster. Like loading a file. VS watching a intentionally slowed down disc, because of ads and locked out controls. People will pick the digital copy over it. People would still be using discs if all that was gone. With VLC, my BD loads right to the episodes within 3 seconds. Since it disables the JAVA loading and Ads.

I hope so,I do buy all my movies in blu-ray now. I have like 75 blu-ray movies. lol

archer9234 said:

Yeah. besides Digital forcing physical out of sales space. You also have to factor in a ton of people don't care about HD. They either don't like the higher cost. Or don't see any benefit in it. I still have friends who have a HDTV but have a SD cable box. This cuases the weaker sales. This will get worse when 4K comes around. I don't care about resoultion anymore. Mainly because will it end? Are companies just gonna keep uping resoution every 10 years? Rebuying stuff over and over again... I won't replace anything I already own on BD.

BD might of taken off if it didn't have a format war. And was able to be played in DVD players. I remember I couldn't buy any BD's for nearly 2 years all because of that stupid nonsese with HDDVD VS BD. It also doesn't help if a company doens't release their stuff on BD. I've waited so damn long for a complete series release of Smallvile on BD. but only 5-10 are availbe. So I end up buying the DVD sets. And won't bother if they do release Seasons 1-4, if ever.

DVD had the huge convenience factor ofcourse, blu-ray is actually less convenient with the lockouts during mandatory screens. Price is a big factor too. Plenty of people still have SD boxes because prices for HD cable are still very much inflated, same with blu-ray versions vs DVD versions. And as you said, DVD didn't have a format war, and doubled as a CD player at the time. That's the function of my DVD player nowadays. I also still have to buy DVDs now and then, simply because some stuff still refuses to come out on blu-ray.

Anyway resolution ends with 4K for 35mm films, and 8K for 70mm and new content. There simply is no possible sitting distance where anything higher then 8K is visible. 4K is probably the end for the living room, but a higher res display has other benefits. Scaling content to more pixels produces less artifacts.
After the resolution upgrades will comes the color upgrades. Rec. 2020 will hopefully make it for 4K playback at 10 and 12 bit color, tvs still have some catching up to do to support it fully. OLED will happen some day, for now a 1080p OLED is still 10K.

There is little reason to upgrade most of the stuff on blu-ray resolution wise. All current animations are not going to benefit, nor any existing CGI heavy movies. Only in the last years hollywood has been starting to use 5K cameras. Movies originally shot on 70mm will benefit (there aren't that many) and some pristinely kept 35mm movies.
Better color reproduction and simply higher bandwidth plus better compression techniques will help and make it look better on 1080p sets as well. But I expect to be upgrading far fewer blu-rays then I did DVDs. I'll be buying new in 4K though.

I wonder what will happen with a digital collection. Does anyone have a substantial (legally purchased) digital movie collection? Through what service? And do they offer free upgrades or discounts to better resolution and sound? Or is it the same as physical and you're expected to buy again.
And I don't count Netflix as a movie collection... http://www.avclub.com/article/netflix-to-help-subscribers-new-years-resolutions-106678

SvennoJ said:
archer9234 said:

DVD had the huge convenience factor ofcourse, blu-ray is actually less convenient with the lockouts during mandatory screens. Price is a big factor too. Plenty of people still have SD boxes because prices for HD cable are still very much inflated, same with blu-ray versions vs DVD versions. And as you said, DVD didn't have a format war, and doubled as a CD player at the time. That's the function of my DVD player nowadays. I also still have to buy DVDs now and then, simply because some stuff still refuses to come out on blu-ray.

Anyway resolution ends with 4K for 35mm films, and 8K for 70mm and new content. There simply is no possible sitting distance where anything higher then 8K is visible. 4K is probably the end for the living room, but a higher res display has other benefits. Scaling content to more pixels produces less artifacts.
After the resolution upgrades will comes the color upgrades. Rec. 2020 will hopefully make it for 4K playback at 10 and 12 bit color, tvs still have some catching up to do to support it fully. OLED will happen some day, for now a 1080p OLED is still 10K.

There is little reason to upgrade most of the stuff on blu-ray resolution wise. All current animations are not going to benefit, nor any existing CGI heavy movies. Only in the last years hollywood has been starting to use 5K cameras. Movies originally shot on 70mm will benefit (there aren't that many) and some pristinely kept 35mm movies.
Better color reproduction and simply higher bandwidth plus better compression techniques will help and make it look better on 1080p sets as well. But I expect to be upgrading far fewer blu-rays then I did DVDs. I'll be buying new in 4K though.

I wonder what will happen with a digital collection. Does anyone have a substantial (legally purchased) digital movie collection? Through what service? And do they offer free upgrades or discounts to better resolution and sound? Or is it the same as physical and you're expected to buy again.
And I don't count Netflix as a movie collection... http://www.avclub.com/article/netflix-to-help-subscribers-new-years-resolutions-106678

They usually don't offer any upgrades. You usually end up buying the thing again if you bough the SD version first. Dish network cable boxes for SD or HD cost basically the same. What makes it inflated is you then have to pay for the DVR subcription feature. And HD channels. Yes... you buy the HD channels. When you get your HD box turned on. The SD channels are only avalibe. The world we live in.