By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Will Xbox One accelerate blu-ray adoption?

SvennoJ said:
archer9234 said:
Recon1O1 said:

Thanks to the people encouraging me to buy BluRay and mentioning deals. One thing though, is something like Terminator that was shot in SD decades ago really going to be that much better just because it's on a new format? I'm guessing here but I suspect it would be better but nothing like the visual quality of the newer Batman or Star Trek movies. ??

This is a misconception. Film is HD. All film from its inception has greater resolution then a tape master. Remember film has to be projected on a 50 foot screen. Digital equivalant to film sizes is 8mm/720p, 16mm/1080p (2k), 35mm/2160p (4k), 65-70mm/(8k). This is all determined by how much light is absorbed into the ceuloid. Film stock also determins the res too. Some stock can be a bit lower or higher in resoultion.

It's not that straight forward, more like a theoretical maximum. But film stock scales up beautifully, 8mm footage on blu-ray looks great, while an upscaled dvd (or 720p broadcast) looks soft and artificial. I agree it's a shame movies of the naughties were all done with 2K masters. They won't get any better and combined with early CGI that is ageing quite badly it might become the decade with the least visually impressive movies.
Meanwhile there are plenty movies from before 2000 I'm interested in watching again in 4K.

I did say equivalant. There is a bit a play here and there. DVD's and cable box streams are still using the old as hell Mpeg 2 codec. Which is junk.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Doubt it

Streaming.

I'd like to see those revenue figures going back a few years....

Good luck with streaming true Blu-Ray quality over the Internet!

archer9234 said:

I did say equivalant. There is a bit a play here and there. DVD's and cable box streams are still using the old as hell Mpeg 2 codec. Which is junk.

True, I wish my cable provider would switch over to h.264, HDTV looks like a joke compared to blu-ray, especially with HD channels as low as 7 mbps. Maybe they'll switch to h.265 this year and pigs will fly.
At least they keep the masters at good quality even though they're locked at 1080p.

If studios want to have better/more blu-ray adaption they should release movies only on Blu-ray and digital formats. And since for blockbuster movies more than half of the sales are DVD's than you cut a big market. I think Sony really has the best position to that. An agressive Blu-ray disc and players (combined with 4k media) campaign. Skyfall sold at least 5 million units in the US and 3 million in the UK. (perhaps even 15 WW) and half of them are DVD's. If Blu-ray was the only option combined with releasing the 50th anniversary box only on BD I think a they wouldn't have the same total amount but a lot would have gotten a Blu-ray player. If all the big studios did this than I think Blu-ray would be the real standard. So that we can advance in this technology too like already releasing 4k versions on those 100-200GB discs, having 48fps motion picture on home media and a lot more extra's.

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

elazz said:
If studios want to have better/more blu-ray adaption they should release movies only on Blu-ray and digital formats. And since for blockbuster movies more than half of the sales are DVD's than you cut a big market. I think Sony really has the best position to that. An agressive Blu-ray disc and players (combined with 4k media) campaign. Skyfall sold at least 5 million units in the US and 3 million in the UK. (perhaps even 15 WW) and half of them are DVD's. If Blu-ray was the only option combined with releasing the 50th anniversary box only on BD I think a they wouldn't have the same total amount but a lot would have gotten a Blu-ray player. If all the big studios did this than I think Blu-ray would be the real standard. So that we can advance in this technology too like already releasing 4k versions on those 100-200GB discs, having 48fps motion picture on home media and a lot more extra's.

That really wouldn't work out. DVD's are still needed. Not everything is HD. Companies would have to do upscale work on SD only stuff. To allow it on BD discs. Plus, that is a lot of money just being cut off for no reason. Blu-ray's also cost more. it's why HD shows aren't released on BD a lot. When they sell low. Take House MD. Seasons 1-5 no BD versions. Smallvile 1-5 no BD. Avengers:EMH was onyl released in Canada on BD. Flashpoint Season 1 BD only in Canada. Other shows stopped being released on BD. Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers, and CSI.

Around the Network
Recon1O1 said:.

Thanks to the people encouraging me to buy BluRay and mentioning deals. One thing though, is something like Terminator that was shot in SD decades ago really going to be that much better just because it's on a new format? I'm guessing here but I suspect it would be better but nothing like the visual quality of the newer Batman or Star Trek movies. ??

I dont know if these images will even show up, cause you need to make an account for the site to veiw 1080p images, but yes.

archer9234 said:
elazz said:

That really wouldn't work out. DVD's are still needed. Not everything is HD. Companies would have to do upscale work on SD only stuff. To allow it on BD discs. Plus, that is a lot of money just being cut off for no reason. Blu-ray's also cost more. it's why HD shows aren't released on BD a lot. When they sell low. Take House MD. Seasons 1-5 no BD versions. Smallvile 1-5 no BD. Avengers:EMH was onyl released in Canada on BD. Flashpoint Season 1 BD only in Canada. Other shows stopped being released on BD. Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers, and CSI.

To encourage upgrade without pissing off old SD users that don't want or can't buy new HW yet, they could simply price DVD and BD editions the same. Or even price the BD edition less if it makes them save discs.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

archer9234 said:
elazz said:

Blu-rays cost more because the industry is happy to get more money from people willing to pay a premium for extra quality.
SD shows look better on blu-ray too. 6mbps mpeg-2 is pretty low compared to the original master tapes, plus you can fit a lot more episodes on a blu-ray disc. Less discs, cheaper to produce. Yet more discs, more editions, more revenues.

HD shows (including all tv shows that were shot on film) don't always get a blu-ray release because of this 2 tier system. If there is not enough demand for the higher priced version, then it's only the dvd version. The shows still get HD versions on Netflix, I don't see any other reason not to burn them on blu-ray than keeping the premium price and feel of blu-ray intact.
For example Breaking bad first season, 3 disc dvd $15, 2 disc blu-ray $20. Making a whole extra disc costs less?

4k Blu-ray will probably kill off DVD, as blu-ray will then become the cheap tier. It will be a while though, the last VHS release was in December 2008, it took blu-ray 3 years to kill VHS.

SvennoJ said:
archer9234 said:
elazz said:

Blu-rays cost more because the industry is happy to get more money from people willing to pay a premium for extra quality.
SD shows look better on blu-ray too. 6mbps mpeg-2 is pretty low compared to the original master tapes, plus you can fit a lot more episodes on a blu-ray disc. Less discs, cheaper to produce. Yet more discs, more editions, more revenues.

HD shows (including all tv shows that were shot on film) don't always get a blu-ray release because of this 2 tier system. If there is not enough demand for the higher priced version, then it's only the dvd version. The shows still get HD versions on Netflix, I don't see any other reason not to burn them on blu-ray than keeping the premium price and feel of blu-ray intact.
For example Breaking bad first season, 3 disc dvd $15, 2 disc blu-ray $20. Making a whole extra disc costs less?

4k Blu-ray will probably kill off DVD, as blu-ray will then become the cheap tier. It will be a while though, the last VHS release was in December 2008, it took blu-ray 3 years to kill VHS.

Except with SD stuff they upscale all the video. So we still end up with only one extra less disc. Instead of leaving it at 480p, encode it at a higher bitrate and let the player upscale it. Then they could fit more episodes. I don't count Streaming/iTunes only services. Since I don't want that form of ownership. So for me, it's not released in HD. I rip my stuff from my DVR box and make BD-R's for stuff like that. Example: Fox never released the first two Futurama movies on BD. So I made my own from the TV broadcasts. 4K killing off DVD might not actually work out. I'm over upgrading things and tv/movies for resolution. I won't buy anything 4K, intill there is no other option on the market.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
archer9234 said:
elazz said:

To encourage upgrade without pissing off old SD users that don't want or can't buy new HW yet, they could simply price DVD and BD editions the same. Or even price the BD edition less if it makes them save discs.

They do that in a way. That's why they package the DVD versions in the BD sets now. So people are more inclined to buy the BD one. Even though I'm wasting money on discs I won't use. Then again I love Big Bang Season 1. They made a BD only set and it costs more than the BD DVD combo set...

Thanks to SvennoJ and archer9234. I've got the basic concepts and I'll do some research on individual titles before buying.