By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Will Xbox One accelerate blu-ray adoption?

KylieDog said:
Insekticida said:
KylieDog said:
Xbone will have no effect on Blu-ray outside of about 500 stupid fanboys who never wanted it because of its PS3 ties.

Retarded comment, I know  alot of people who don't have Blueray because they simply don't really care about it when they can usa Netflix. By buying the Xboxone they now have the option to get some bluerays.

Except PS3 was the biggest use of Netflix for consoles and that played bluray already.  You comment has flawed logic.

If people had an interest in bluray or not, XBone isn't going to change that.

I don't have a blueray player, I will buy the XboxOne and I'll use blueray a couple times. There are a lot of people just like me. 

Around the Network
Recon1O1 said:
Thanks to SvennoJ and archer9234. I've got the basic concepts and I'll do some research on individual titles before buying.

Here's a good site if you want a second opinion (against blu-ray.com)
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/

I see they have a games section too nowadays.  http://games.highdefdigest.com/reviews.html
Pretty interesting, I doubt they are all that experienced in judging video games, but they have separate sections for video and audio quality same as for movies. They are actually reviewing the sound quality of games! Something that is nearly always missing from other reviews. 5 stars for Resogun, I fully agree.

SvennoJ said:
kowenicki said:
Doubt it

Streaming.

I'd like to see those revenue figures going back a few years....

It seems they're predicting people are going to spend a lot more money total on movies. Physical not shrinking much while online takes off.

|
It's not shrinking that fast, I guess the higher price of blu-ray helps. Total units sold is probably going down faster.

Edit: I see the source on that second picture is from 2010, oops. I guess the prediction was fairly accurate, inline with that pie chart.

Wow, those charts show it's worse than I thought. I should be growing dramatically with people is slowly shrinking.  What is missing from the graphs is the crash and decline of VHS sales. 

As far as the questions, it might help a little bit.  But seeing how a decent Bluray can be had for like $50, I think very few people were missing out.  I think the medium is pretty much done. That's why I'm curious to see if they offer a new 4K Blu-ray.  I don't know if it's practical though.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Zappykins said:
SvennoJ said:
kowenicki said:
Doubt it

Streaming.

It seems they're predicting people are going to spend a lot more money total on movies. Physical not shrinking much while online takes off.

|
It's not shrinking that fast, I guess the higher price of blu-ray helps. Total units sold is probably going down faster.

Edit: I see the source on that second picture is from 2010, oops. I guess the prediction was fairly accurate, inline with that pie chart.

Wow, those charts show it's worse than I thought. I should be growing dramatically with people is slowly shrinking.  What is missing from the graphs is the crash and decline of VHS sales. 

As far as the questions, it might help a little bit.  But seeing how a decent Bluray can be had for like $50, I think very few people were missing out.  I think the medium is pretty much done. That's why I'm curious to see if they offer a new 4K Blu-ray.  I don't know if it's practical though.

Blu-ray revenue is still growing year over year, so it's far from done.

I would like to see how physical renting declined vs increase in digital renting. And physical ownership decline vs digital ownership emerging.
It's all a bit muddled now lobbed together. Are more people content nowadays with streaming and don't care to own movies anymore, or are people actually switching to digital libraries. Or is the decline also affected by torrents becoming easier to use as bandwidth increases.

This is what I could find for VHS, total units sold:

https://www.screenaustralia.gov.au/research/statistics/wvprodretail.aspx

I always thought the VHS market was bigger, DVD was huge!

Anyway blu-ray's marketshare is climbing steadily (may 2008 - april 13)

But total sales are going down, so revenue is climbing much slower (jan 2010 - april 2013)

http://www.digital-digest.com/blog/DVDGuy/2013/06/08/blu-ray-the-state-of-play-may-2013/

I'm looking forward to 4K blu-ray. Where are the players! Nothing yet from CES 2014.
More 4k streaming has been announced, but I can't even stream decent 1080p for more then 10 hours a month :/

SvennoJ said:
Zappykins said:
SvennoJ said:
kowenicki said:
Doubt it

Streaming.

|

I would like to see how physical renting declined vs increase in digital renting. And physical ownership decline vs digital ownership emerging.
It's all a bit muddled now lobbed together. Are more people content nowadays with streaming and don't care to own movies anymore, or are people actually switching to digital libraries. Or is the decline also affected by torrents becoming easier to use as bandwidth increases.

But total sales are going down, so revenue is climbing much slower (jan 2010 - april 2013)

http://www.digital-digest.com/blog/DVDGuy/2013/06/08/blu-ray-the-state-of-play-may-2013/

I'm looking forward to 4K blu-ray. Where are the players! Nothing yet from CES 2014.
More 4k streaming has been announced, but I can't even stream decent 1080p for more then 10 hours a month :/

Thanks for the research!  Is this just consumers? I know there was also a large amount of industry VHS purchaes for rentals.  And they wore out so there were repurchases.  Remember the ol' Blockbuster.  They went through many tapes.

As far as the questions about TV show being in 'SD' or stand definintion.  Remember most all TV Shows since Lucy are shot in Film.  And film is higher quality than DVD, so by re sampling the original they could all look better.  Even 8mm can push 1080P and most TV is higher quality 35mm film. 

Look at the old Twilight Zones or orginal Star Treks at 1080p, they look really good. They could probably be slightly improved at 4K as well, but then the minor flaws in the background start to pop out more. 

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

It will for sure. Anytime you add a device that uses the format (especially a popular one) it helps speed up adoption.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

25$ for each blu ray movie vs 8$ a month for netflix. It's an easy choice. I own maybe 4 blu rays. I only buy them for movies I must have which is very rare. Netflix is all I really need for movies

BD dead format walking in a world of shrinking physical media...

Zappykins said:
SvennoJ said:

Thanks for the research!  Is this just consumers? I know there was also a large amount of industry VHS purchaes for rentals.  And they wore out so there were repurchases.  Remember the ol' Blockbuster.  They went through many tapes.

As far as the questions about TV show being in 'SD' or stand definintion.  Remember most all TV Shows since Lucy are shot in Film.  And film is higher quality than DVD, so by re sampling the original they could all look better.  Even 8mm can push 1080P and most TV is higher quality 35mm film. 

Look at the old Twilight Zones or orginal Star Treks at 1080p, they look really good. They could probably be slightly improved at 4K as well, but then the minor flaws in the background start to pop out more. 

I guess that it's actual sales to consumers. I don't think it was until dvd that you could buy previously viewed movies from rental places. Before that I think it was more like a license agreement. At least that's the gist I got from my old local mom and pop rental store. They weren't happy with the transition to DVD as they now had to buy the discs up front and could only afford very few copies of each new movie. They didn't survive the transition to DVD.

It depends on the tv show, but yeah most have been shot on film until recently. 4K is still useful for 16 and 35mm, not just because 35mm can resolve between 3K and 4K in resolution, but also because blu-ray is still stuck with chroma subsampling and lossy compression. The color information on blu-ray is essentially only 1K (960x540), a quarter of the grey scale resolution. 35mm is also used anamorphically, using the full 4:3 frame to store information while Blu-ray uses black bars. From the RED user forum I see estimates for 35mm from an achievable 3.2K (3200x2400) up to a 4153 × 3112 theoretical maximum.

A 4K blu-ray played on a 1080p set will have better color definition (especially if deep color Rec. 2020 will be used) and less compression artifacts. Color and higher contrast ratio will have the biggest effect.

Yeah, 3 million Xbones sold is 3 million bluray players sold.