By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Will Xbox One accelerate blu-ray adoption?

Munkeh111 said:

I don't quite go that mad, I have been watching OTHER shows instead....

I don't actually go for bonus stuff that much, but I totally agree that blu-ray is a pain. My brother and I were bored the other week, so we watched Scott Pilgrim on blu-ray and wanted to compare it to the quality you get from Sony's video downloads. The difference isn't that great, but you have to sit through  5 minutes of menus before you can start the blu-ray, whereas the digital copy just plays immediately, from where you left it.

If you get a Sony 4K TV, I think you get a HDD with a few free movies rather than the blu-rays. I think physical media is going to be dead* by the end of the generation (in the same way that CDs are dead, ie, not really quite dead)

A gotcha, yes I do that too. Watch crap on the pvr while I have a huge movie collection with plenty of stuff I want to watch again and even some stuff I haven't even seen yet. Resume play from where you left it is very convenient. I just don't get how it is so random with blu-ray, some discs allow resume play right when you insert them, some only after you finally reach the menu, while a lot don't offer it at all or you have to set your own bookmarks which never seems to work.

The picture and sound quality is worth all the hassle, but when I want to watch a blu-ray I usually insert it at least 15 minutes before I plan on watching it. (And nowadays some have a language select screen right at the start, which you have to click through before it actually starts limping towards the menu, can it get even worse...)

That Sony 4K tv comes with HDD for 4K movies from Sony's 4K video streaming service since the 4K disc format isn't quite ready yet. The downloads will be about 40GB per movie, to be halved when h.265 becomes available.

It looks like 4K disc format will be 100Gb blu-ray discs with h.265 encoding, about 4x blu-ray quality. 
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-bluray-201309123318.htm
Which is a bit disappointing imo, from dvd to blu-ray was 5x the disc size and also twice as efficient a compression codec, 10x dvd quality. Swapping discs for movies over 2 hours might become standard again plus no more bonus features on the same disc.

Around the Network

i cant believe people are still buying DVDs instead of blu-rays what the actual fuck

SvennoJ said:
Munkeh111 said:

I don't quite go that mad, I have been watching OTHER shows instead....

I don't actually go for bonus stuff that much, but I totally agree that blu-ray is a pain. My brother and I were bored the other week, so we watched Scott Pilgrim on blu-ray and wanted to compare it to the quality you get from Sony's video downloads. The difference isn't that great, but you have to sit through  5 minutes of menus before you can start the blu-ray, whereas the digital copy just plays immediately, from where you left it.

If you get a Sony 4K TV, I think you get a HDD with a few free movies rather than the blu-rays. I think physical media is going to be dead* by the end of the generation (in the same way that CDs are dead, ie, not really quite dead)

A gotcha, yes I do that too. Watch crap on the pvr while I have a huge movie collection with plenty of stuff I want to watch again and even some stuff I haven't even seen yet. Resume play from where you left it is very convenient. I just don't get how it is so random with blu-ray, some discs allow resume play right when you insert them, some only after you finally reach the menu, while a lot don't offer it at all or you have to set your own bookmarks which never seems to work.

The picture and sound quality is worth all the hassle, but when I want to watch a blu-ray I usually insert it at least 15 minutes before I plan on watching it. (And nowadays some have a language select screen right at the start, which you have to click through before it actually starts limping towards the menu, can it get even worse...)

That Sony 4K tv comes with HDD for 4K movies from Sony's 4K video streaming service since the 4K disc format isn't quite ready yet. The downloads will be about 40GB per movie, to be halved when h.265 becomes available.

It looks like 4K disc format will be 100Gb blu-ray discs with h.265 encoding, about 4x blu-ray quality. 
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-bluray-201309123318.htm
Which is a bit disappointing imo, from dvd to blu-ray was 5x the disc size and also twice as efficient a compression codec, 10x dvd quality. Swapping discs for movies over 2 hours might become standard again plus no more bonus features on the same disc.

I think we also shouldn't pretend that digital downloads are all rosey. Netflix is obviously online only and the rest only let you use their files in a restricted environment and on certain devices. Blu-rays and DVDs may be more of a pain, but you definitely own your content

4K blu-rays might be interesting, but I doubt I'm going to be getting anything capable of playing them for a few years and it will more likely be my computer monitor than my TV, I want 4K Star Citizen!

But in general, I don't find the digital/Netflix/blu-ray quality gap to be all that much. For visually spectacular movies, I'll go to the extra effort, but even on a 100" display, "digital" content looks great.

I will, however, be rewatching Star Wars/LotR on Blu-Ray only. Those films need to be properly enjoyed

Munkeh111 said:

I think we also shouldn't pretend that digital downloads are all rosey. Netflix is obviously online only and the rest only let you use their files in a restricted environment and on certain devices. Blu-rays and DVDs may be more of a pain, but you definitely own your content

4K blu-rays might be interesting, but I doubt I'm going to be getting anything capable of playing them for a few years and it will more likely be my computer monitor than my TV, I want 4K Star Citizen!

But in general, I don't find the digital/Netflix/blu-ray quality gap to be all that much. For visually spectacular movies, I'll go to the extra effort, but even on a 100" display, "digital" content looks great.

I will, however, be rewatching Star Wars/LotR on Blu-Ray only. Those films need to be properly enjoyed

Sub $1000 4K pc monitors are coming next year.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7563/dell-24-uhd-up2414q-gets-a-price-28-uhd-4k-3840x2160-announced
24" 4K 60hz IPS panel is now available for $1400, in spring they'll add a <$1000 28" model.

The gap between digital and blu-ray is pretty big depending on the movie. However heavy special effect movies made in the early digital era like lotr and the new star wars movies are not all that great on blu-ray. They were rendered and mastered in 2K, while earlier 35mm movies have resolutions close to 4K. Blu-ray is only 2K ofcourse, but as with pc games, downsampling from a higher res always looks superior. The best looking blu-rays are those made from 70mm film. Baraka and Samsara, scanned from 70mm in 8K, mastered in 4K, downsampled to 1080p look absolutely stunning and make lotr look murky in comparison.
The blu-ray version is still a huge step up from dvd, and decent step up from HD digital (plus the quality goes up between films), yet the real bonus is the lossless sound. (and extras if you're into that)

Movies are currently filmed with 5K cameras. (at least some overhead for 4K movie releases) Still not the IMAX quality of old but ahead of 35mm film. It won't be much longer before TODD-AO 70mm from the 50's is bested as well, NHK already has a 8K studio camera in production.

thismeintiel said:
The only people the Xbox One is going to switch over to Bluray are diehard MS fans who wouldn't get Bluray because it was mostly associated with Sony in the gaming world. Of course, I expect that number to be incredibly low. I also don't see Xbox One pushing the kind of number that would greatly influence the Bluray market. PS4 may, but then I would imagine most of those people will already have stand alone players.

The real reason Bluray sales haven't skyrocketed, like DVD did, is because Bluray is BC with DVD. So, a lot of people are upgrading their player, but keeping their DVDs. Bluray is going to be more of a slow burn that will spread larger and larger with time.

The reason why it isn't skyrocketing is because the quick turn around from DVD to Blu Ray. When we had VHS we had VHS for around 30 years before DVD's came around. People were more than ready for a change.

DVD's though were just getting started when it was decided to start doing Blu Rays. The problem was people were just switching to DVD.

Around the Network
MB1025 said:
thismeintiel said:
The only people the Xbox One is going to switch over to Bluray are diehard MS fans who wouldn't get Bluray because it was mostly associated with Sony in the gaming world. Of course, I expect that number to be incredibly low. I also don't see Xbox One pushing the kind of number that would greatly influence the Bluray market. PS4 may, but then I would imagine most of those people will already have stand alone players.

The real reason Bluray sales haven't skyrocketed, like DVD did, is because Bluray is BC with DVD. So, a lot of people are upgrading their player, but keeping their DVDs. Bluray is going to be more of a slow burn that will spread larger and larger with time.

The reason why it isn't skyrocketing is because the quick turn around from DVD to Blu Ray. When we had VHS we had VHS for around 30 years before DVD's came around. People were more than ready for a change.

DVD's though were just getting started when it was decided to start doing Blu Rays. The problem was people were just switching to DVD.

That is just one point though.
The jump from VHS to DVD was HUGE. No more tape, more reliable, easily skipping, much better sound (5.1 sound was just wishful thinking with VHS), much better picture, something like extras came up...

The jump from DVD to BluRay is pretty small actually. The only things that got better is sound and picture.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Like many I skipped the Blu-ray and went from dvd straight to torrentz/streaming. Why bother disc swapping when you can easily download or stream the same HD quality movies for a small monthly fee or even for free.

game_on said:
Like many I skipped the Blu-ray and went from dvd straight to torrentz/streaming. Why bother disc swapping when you can easily download or stream the same HD quality movies for a small monthly fee or even for free.

This!

Indeed why?

because I now finally have a blu ray player? not a good enough reason, I had loads of things capable of playing DVD's and I never bought thos either........

When I got the original xbox I was interested.......for the sole reason that I never had a game system that played music or movies at that time. i bought jarasic park and american pie <-------- there ended my history of purchasing physical media.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

Just like music I like it to be 100% digital. Gaming though I still prefer disc.

Some people like me still prefer Quality first. So Blu-Ray is the besst way to watch movies at home.

1080p streaming is no where near the quality of Blu-ray and the audio not even close.

But like I said if you want Quality watch Blu-Ray - if you want quantity or crap quality go streaming.

Until streaming is 50mbps blu-ray quality not too interested. (before you ask I have a Fibre internet with 72mbps connection).