By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Will Xbox One accelerate blu-ray adoption?

Doubt it most people that bought a X1 already have a Blu-ray player.  Just like most people that where kinda late in getting a PS3 most likely already had a Blu-ray player.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
The only people the Xbox One is going to switch over to Bluray are diehard MS fans who wouldn't get Bluray because it was mostly associated with Sony in the gaming world. 

...not sure if serious...

My family doesn't have a blu-ray player, not because of some dumb hatred for Sony, but because we've never felt the need to upgrade from DVD.  We really don't watch that many movies at home (either physical or digital), so spending a bunch of money just for blu-ray doesn't make sense for us until movies are no longer put onto DVDs.  We don't get new tech stuff very often at all, really.

When I get my Xbox One next year we'll probably start watching blu-ray, only because it suddenly becomes convenient.  I expect we would have been watching blu-rays if I owned a PS3, simply because it would have been convenient.  If I didn't own any gaming consoles at all, we'd probably still be using the old DVD player that we bought years ago, and maybe we would have gotten around to upgrading to blu-ray in 2014.  Or maybe not, as I expect all the major movies will still be released on DVD next year.

@sth88
I always thought the same way but ever since ps3 I suddenly have just a ton of br movies.

ironmanDX said:
thismeintiel said:
The only people the Xbox One is going to switch over to Bluray are diehard MS fans who wouldn't get Bluray because it was mostly associated with Sony in the gaming world.

Lol.

Lol is right.  Both you and sth88 have incredible selective reading.  So much so, that you didn't even bother reading the very next sentence.  Let me quote it for you in bold, just so you both don't miss it this time. 

"Of course, I expect that number to be incredibly low."

You're both very welcome.

I don't know. For the most part, everybody I know downloads what they want to see. There was a time when we cared about bonus features and stuff but I think that time is quickly passing. Physical media is dying. I used to only buy DC Comics movies on Blu Ray but I don't even do that anymore.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
ironmanDX said:
thismeintiel said:

Lol.

Lol is right.  Both of you and sth88 have incredible slective reading.  So much so, that you didn't even bother reading the very next sentenct.  Let me quote it for you in bold, just so you both don't miss it this time. 

If it's so low, why mention it? Other factors, far bigger factors are to be considered.

Just don't see the need to constantly turn eveything into a Sony VS MS thing. I didn't get a Blu-Ray till the Xbox One because my DVD player has a great upscaller and the refresh rate makes DVD's look nearly as good as Blu-Ray.

I still haven't purchased a single Blu-Ray disk either. Just seems like you're trying to rock the boat.

archer9234 said:

There will be a point were both sides level off. Digital comics just did that recently. They reported a low gain in digital. There are people out there that want physical no matter what. Why do you think CD's are still around? To be honest. If companies did two changes to physical media. It would start gaining traction again. Switch to solid media. That would remove load times. And completly remove scratching issues. And second: No more ad spamming, or remote control lock out at the start of a disc. That artificially slows down the disc. Imagine that was kept in your digital copy.

True, but CDs were still declining at alarming rates the last time I checked, while LP sales has been growing a lot every year since 2008/09... :P

Hopefully Xbox One will help BD, and PS4 make it further more popular. And hopefully in not too many years DVD will be outphased, but I don't think that will happen until 2017/18 at the earliest with more and more titles make it to BD only. And even by that time or 2020, streaming will not be the only media which many people think!

Yep.

ironmanDX said:
thismeintiel said:

Lol is right.  Both of you and sth88 have incredible slective reading.  So much so, that you didn't even bother reading the very next sentenct.  Let me quote it for you in bold, just so you both don't miss it this time. 

If it's so low, why mention it? Other factors, far bigger factors are to be considered.

Just don't see the need to constantly turn eveything into a Sony VS MS thing. I didn't get a Blu-Ray till the Xbox One because my DVD player has a great upscaller and the refresh rate makes DVD's look nearly as good as Blu-Ray.

I still haven't purchased a single Blu-Ray disk either. Just seems like you're trying to rock the boat.

Lol, because the OP asked a question and I answered it in a post.  That's how threads work.  Do keep up. 

I don't think it will have much bearing on physical media sales, which as we all know, are in decline thanks to streaming and DD options.

Personally, I love the BD format, which when properly mastered, yields the best quality signal, and when properly packaged, comes with a lot of extras (I watch production videos as a film editor/producer). Plus, I like the fact that I don't have to have 20-40GB of data on HDD/NAS/home server for each movie I own. Streaming gets around the whole storage issue, but for the best quality streams, that's a lot of bandwidth.

Generally, the only movies/shows I buy on BD are those that I intend to watch many times and will probably dissect various sequences and VFX shots frame by frame. It goes without saying that this does not apply for most media that I watch.

Since 2007, I've bought somewhere between 150-200 BDs/sets. By comparison, I probably have a good 800+ DVDs.

As for normal people, I just don't see many new XB1 owners suddenly building up large collections of BD media just because they now have a BD player built in. So, not much help there for physical media BD sales.

thismeintiel said:
ironmanDX said:
thismeintiel said:

Lol, because the OP asked a question and I answered it in a post.  That's how threads work.  Do keep up. 

That's the answer I get?

Selective reading indeed.