By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why was Sonic Lost World reviewed so poorly??

BraveNewWorld said:
I think Lost World is a solid game. Here's a review for Sonic Generations that has always stuck with me, it's relevant to the hate Lost World's gotten.

"A reminder of both what you adore and abhor in a series that's had its simple joys diluted by flash-in-the-plan iterations and ideas." - Edge Magazine

Lost World, yet again, changed the series' game play style. Which caused a lot of backlash. I think Sega needs to stick with the game play style from the 3D sections of Colors and Generations. That's another thing the series has going against it, it's constantly switching between 2D and 3D even in the same levels.

Not at all. They need to stick to the 3D from the Adventure games and Heroes. Those had the right pacing. Unleashed, Colors' and Generations glorified theme park rides were just dull.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
BraveNewWorld said:
I think Lost World is a solid game. Here's a review for Sonic Generations that has always stuck with me, it's relevant to the hate Lost World's gotten.

"A reminder of both what you adore and abhor in a series that's had its simple joys diluted by flash-in-the-plan iterations and ideas." - Edge Magazine

Lost World, yet again, changed the series' game play style. Which caused a lot of backlash. I think Sega needs to stick with the game play style from the 3D sections of Colors and Generations. That's another thing the series has going against it, it's constantly switching between 2D and 3D even in the same levels.

Not at all. They need to stick to the 3D from the Adventure games and Heroes. Those had the right pacing. Unleashed, Colors' and Generations glorified theme park rides were just dull.

A 3D Sonic  done in the style of  the Adventure games would be so great..  The problems with those games are the lack of polish ( glitches,  the lip-syncing and such), some   playstyle  issues ( Big the Cat being only about fishing and Tails being in  a  mech in SA2) and the stories being  too focused on the human world. If they can fix those  then  I am OK with them totally killing the Unleashed/ Generations formula.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

God knows what was going on with the reviews. I think Sonic Lost World is the best Sonic game since Sonic Adventure. Though Sonic Colours was very close.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Let me ask everyone this:

Why not?

1) It's probably Nintendo apologists once again enforcing their weird obsession with exclusive games, and trying to save face after trying to act as if everyone else would be missing out on something by not having a Wii U to play it.

2) Not being as technically flawed as Sonic 06 or Unleashed is not a vote of confidence, Mortal Kombat 4 isn't as broken as Deception or Armageddon, does it still suck ass? Damn straight.

AZWification said:
Mr Khan said:
BraveNewWorld said:

A 3D Sonic  done in the style of  the Adventure games would be so great..  The problems with those games are the lack of polish ( glitches,  the lip-syncing and such), some   playstyle  issues ( Big the Cat being only about fishing and Tails being in  a  mech in SA2) and the stories being  too focused on the human world. If they can fix those  then  I am OK with them totally killing the Unleashed/ Generations formula.

Then you dont want a adventure game. The initial Idea behind Aventure was Sonic in the human world. It is part of the reason Sonic got a redesign, to look more natural next to humans. Think about it, if you remove the human world from the Adventure series what is left.

Around the Network

Sonic Lost World is my second Sonic game that I played after Sonic & Knuckles. I think the amount of speed isn't that different and Sonic & Knuckles also had a lot of platforming and exploration.

Maybe it's not the game that fans of the extremely fast 3D Sonic games expected (I only watched some YouTube videos of them).

I really enjoyed the game, but it isn' nearly as polished as 3D World (or any other 3D Mario game).

The controls were a little weird at the beginning, but everything besides the gyro controls worked very well after a while (and analog stick controls were patched in).

The level design is very inconsistent, ranging from the poor hidden world to some excellent stages.

Some red rings were very frustrating and apart from the red rings it was a little too easy.

Not sure why 100 rings weren't 1 life at the beginning...

It's a 8/10 for me, maybe 7/10 before the patch.

disolitude said:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/sonic-lost-world

I know that VGChartz has a few Sonic experts so I wanted to ask...what gives?

Got the game for Christmas and am probably half way though it, and I just don't get it. It plays great and has some of the best platforming in a 3D sonic game to date. Music and visuals are awesome. Game flow is enjoyable and the story is the good type of cheese...

Absolutely nothing about this game is broken like in Sonic 06 or Sonic Unleashed. For what it is, no one should really review this less than 6/10 IMO, and the Meta average should be in the high 7s.

Fully agree, i think it is a super game that is harshly reviewd. It plays like old school Sonic with a focus on exploration, but can also be played at speed too. Call mr cynical but would it have scored better if it wasnt a Wii U exclusive? I find it to be much better than the ok Sonic generations.

The industry loves to hate Sonic.

So to sum up this thread...

- Most people that have played it are saying it is better than reviews indicate, with a sliding scale of how much better it is.

- Few people didn't like the demo and didn't bother playing it hence they think the reviews are accurate.

- Few people didn't specify if they played the game but are calling for a Nintendo conspiracy in my OP and are saying reviews are accurate.

jlmurph2 said:
Dv8thwonder said:
You cannot judge a game solely on a demo*. It's purpose is only to give you glimpse of the final product.

@jlmurph2 I wouldn't put so much stock in reviews or reviewers for that matter. It's best to ask someone who actually enjoys playing games what their opinion of Sonic Lost World is. To reiterate, playing a demo cannot be summed as a full impression of the game.

Ok then what's the point of this thread?

to hell with that, whats the point of a DEMO then? If a game cant sell me on their demo then its probably not a game im going to enjoy. If its a chore to get through 2 levels then nothing else they offer will probably get me to like the game